David Robertson is a fantastic closer

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
Because Sale could have 20 wins and is going for the Cy Young.

I know SABR stats overshadow wins but it is still a used stat by mainstream fans for indicating success.

It's a stat used by stupid fans. It doesn't make sense and Sale has no control over it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
Four of last five save opportunities blown (by the bullpen overall)...now leading the entire AL with 21 blown saves.

Bring on Burdi.

At the very least, DFA Albers and let Kahnle, Ynoa and Turner give it a try. Ranaudo too, why not...

I liked Ranaudo's start. Like to see more.

Agree there's no point in keeping Albers around. They gave Turner a try last night...I'll say this, Turner's still not a good reliever -yet- but he's massively improved from where he was as a starter.

They are keeping Robertson around because he's still their 2nd to best reliever. But I would let him go for free on waivers and invest the savings elsewhere next year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
I liked Ranaudo's start. Like to see more.

Agree there's no point in keeping Albers around. They gave Turner a try last night...I'll say this, Turner's still not a good reliever -yet- but he's massively improved from where he was as a starter.

They are keeping Robertson around because he's still their 2nd to best reliever. But I would let him go for free on waivers and invest the savings elsewhere next year.

Letting Robertson go for free would be a bad move. As disappointing as his season has been, there are teams that would like to have him in the bullpen come the offseason. The Sox are in a good position to be able to move him once the season is up. Judging value some relievers other teams got back, the Sox clearly were asking the moon for their major league pieces or actually think they can contend next season. They definitely dropped the ball, but I still think they could get a solid prospect or two in December for him. I wouldn't give up on him yet, he's not washed up.

They'll likely give the job to Jones first based on their past history of going to veterans before turning to a rookie.

Jenks was pretty much a no brainer adter Takatsu got figured out and Hermanson faded in 2005.

On the other hand, thry gave Reed a lot of rope in 2012.

At any rate, they won't just give the job to Burdi without Jones failing first imo.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
In 2002, not 2012 Dan Wright threw nearly 200 innings with a FIP- of 106 (just slightly worse than league average) and an xFIP- of 100 (right at league average). That was good for 1.7 fWAR. So yes, Dan Wright was a pretty valuable member of the 2002 Sox though it had nothing to with his win total.
Do you really believe that? Did you watch him pitch? He was bloody awful. Since you seem to be cherry picking saber stats how about his -1.1 JAWS and career WAR. Ranking him 3209th in the pantheon of MLB starting pitchers. At least he did come in at 0.0 in 2002. The Sox lack of SP depth cost them dearly from 2001-04 and Dan Wright was part of that problem. I will grant you that 2002 was his "best" season.

As for the topic David Robertson has at least for me been a major disappointment. Like last season he started the year Rivera like and then regressed. I feel my stomach churning and pulse rising when he comes in to close a game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
And I think David Robertson blew one of those saves immediately after getting over worked because of the Sale meltdown.

Perhaps.. but Sales melt down miniscule in amount of innings cost to the bullpen then Roberston's inability to close games has.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 02:05 AM)
Letting Robertson go for free would be a bad move. As disappointing as his season has been, there are teams that would like to have him in the bullpen come the offseason. The Sox are in a good position to be able to move him once the season is up. Judging value some relievers other teams got back, the Sox clearly were asking the moon for their major league pieces or actually think they can contend next season. They definitely dropped the ball, but I still think they could get a solid prospect or two in December for him. I wouldn't give up on him yet, he's not washed up.

They had a chance to trade him a month before the deadline when he was doing OK and it was obvious the Sox were not contenders. Sad.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
Is it true that he was waived and claimed (but Sox pulled him back)?

Probably. And it's a common thing. I predicted a team like the Yankees with a lot of money off the books would place a claim for the off chance the White Sox just let his salary go (like the Rios situation).

Probably our best hope is to keep him, hope he has a good first half and move asap. The financial commitment of the acquiring team would be lessened and the return may actually better than this winter where his value is low.