Melky Cabrera thread

Bob Sacamano

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)
I'm confused. If it says they are seeking another left-handed bat, why are you showing his stats vs Left handed pitching?

Actually I'm confused too, the artilce is talking about negating all of the top LH pitching with sale/price, etc.

So basically the article is showalter saying they want another LH hitter but then the reporter showing how terrible they were vs LH pitching :shrug:

But either way Melky is a switch hitter, does not strike out much (which showalter mentiones) and is a terrible fit in basically every other way.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
So basically the article is showalter saying they want another LH hitter but then the reporter showing how terrible they were vs LH pitching :shrug:

But either way Melky is a switch hitter, does not strike out much (which showalter mentiones) and is a terrible fit in basically every other way.

The lack of noise surrounding Melky is both surprising and disappointing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)

lol after I replied to you I decided to check out the article and was like wtf.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 05:13 PM)

He hustles.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
The lack of noise surrounding Melky is both surprising and disappointing.

Well, he is set to make $15M in 2017. That'll scare off a lot of suitors. Melky makes much more sense as a guy you hold onto, hope he hits like crazy in a contract year, and move him in June or July to a team desperate for a bat. $7M is much more palatable than $15M.

It doesn't even make sense that they would want a left handed hitting OF when they've got Smith and Kim at the corners (unless they want one that can share DH at bats). I think they have Rickard platooning with Kim but Smith is also more of a platoon guy so he could really use a platoon partner. They way they operate, they will totally sign one of Crisp, Jackson, Francour, Raburn or Stubbs...and they'll somehow hit 30 homers out of said platoon lol

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Well, he is set to make $15M in 2017. That'll scare off a lot of suitors. Melky makes much more sense as a guy you hold onto, hope he hits like crazy in a contract year, and move him in June or July to a team desperate for a bat. $7M is much more palatable than $15M.

Didn't consider that, but it makes sense.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
But bruce is a run producering bat. As you see from the white sox stand point having Melky and having lack of running producing bats have seriously hurt the white sox offense. Again melky is a complimentary piece to a line up. Say you add melky to bostons lineup would work cause they have good bats to go along with him

I am not certain I am following your analysis of Cabrera. There were time Melky was the only one really hitting the ball. He is a line drive hitter not a homerun type of guy, but he still has some pop.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
I am not certain I am following your analysis of Cabrera. There were time Melky was the only one really hitting the ball. He is a line drive hitter not a homerun type of guy, but he still has some pop.

Which is one of the many reasons the team is undergoing a full-on rebuild.

The vanishing Role of the Mediocre Veteran

What I think might start happening is that these $8 million contracts for veterans like Moss will start drying up, in particular because teams in the rebuilding part of their cycle will give a younger, cheaper player a chance. Maybe that player isn't quite Brandon Moss, but he might be 85 percent of Moss for one-tenth the price.

Like I said, this is just a theory. One way to check if we're seeing a decline in the number of mediocre veterans employed is to look at the Moss-type of player. I checked for all position players 32 years old and older who were worth 1.0 WAR or less over the past 10 seasons and received at least 100 plate appearances (to filter out the emergency call-ups and fill-ins). Are we seeing fewer of them? Well, in 2016 they received the most playing time since 2011.

On the other hand, the overall trend is less playing time for this type of player. From 2007 to 2011, these players averaged 21,973 plate appearances per season; from 2012 to 2016, they averaged 18,735. The study is also imperfect; maybe the best way to look at it would be to see how much playing time these guys get in the season after they were mediocre (or worse) and see how that has changed over time.

We also know that the aging curve is changing, with younger players producing more and older players declining more rapidly than in the steroid era. This is another reason teams are reluctant to sign guys in their 30s who aren't stars. But if you're Brandon Moss and you're scrambling for a job, the $8 million paydays and multi-year contracts may be coming to an end.

Cabrera doesn't perfectly fit that statistic, but he would have if he had only gotten 400 PAs so he's right on the edge of it.