Congrats Chicago Cubs

knightni

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
I'm only 24, and specifically from Indians rally forward. The beginning of that game sucked.

But thats why its not really comparable to Braves-Twins a game that was 0-0 with Jack Morris going 10 innings. There are some other games from a long time ago with Koufax, etc that have similar story lines that I never witnessed myself so I cant really comment.

The Davis home run was a very exciting moment, but to me the Kirk Gibson hr off of Eckersely was crazier.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
At this point he is trying to get complements out of a Hillary convention about Trumps positions on women's rights.

Might wanna reverse that. You're the ones being run by your egos here.... Haha

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
But thats why its not really comparable to Braves-Twins a game that was 0-0 with Jack Morris going 10 innings. There are some other games from a long time ago with Koufax, etc that have similar story lines that I never witnessed myself so I cant really comment.

The Davis home run was a very exciting moment, but to me the Kirk Gibson hr off of Eckersely was crazier.

The Twins Braves game is great competition, for sure. I just don't think you can beat the overall context of this game. This wasn't a game of incredible personal performances, but was a war of attrition with 166 years at stake.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Circumstances + the Indians rally. Lindor made one of the greatest plays ever (given circumstances) if the Indians had won. Davis' homer was absurd. It started s***ty, then when Lester came in it became a great game.

Which is why it was a great game 7...but certainly not one of the best baseball games ever...I mean, come on Q...and the Lindor play was a nice play but one of the best plays ever? Come on.

was one of the "best ever" in a postseason game. Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
The Twins Braves game is great competition, for sure. I just don't think you can beat the overall context of this game. This wasn't a game of incredible personal performances, but was a war of attrition with 166 years at stake.

That was the storyline that set up the series...that didn't make this individual game incredible though.

The 8th inning comeback was great. I will give you that. But that alone does not make it one of the best baseball games ever.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)

Now I think we are getting into different ways of defining "greatest game." I am purely talking about the game itself, not the backstory. I dont think that many people will deny that there was a lot of historical context, its just up until Maddon pulled Hendricks I really just didnt see the Indians having any chance.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Now I think we are getting into different ways of defining "greatest game." I am purely talking about the game itself, not the backstory. I dont think that many people will deny that there was a lot of historical context, its just up until Maddon pulled Hendricks I really just didnt see the Indians having any chance.

But... You can't separate context. It's there. It's impacting every player and fan and coach. Taking anything without context is, in my view, meaningless. Context MAKES the thing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
That was the storyline that set up the series...that didn't make this individual game incredible though.

The 8th inning comeback was great. I will give you that. But that alone does not make it one of the best baseball games ever.

Come on, if you don't think game 7 refocused all of that history back into one moment, I don't know what to say. In the 10th inning of game 7 of the WS, that 166 years matters. It raises the stakes in such a huge way.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
But... You can't separate context. It's there. It's impacting every player and fan and coach. Taking anything without context is, in my view, meaningless. Context MAKES the thing.

A team of superstars making over 3 times more money than a team full of no-namers, squeaks by even though they were huge favorites. Plus most of the games were not competitive. So memorable.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Re-f***ing-read my posts! I don't like the goddamn Cubs! You're as bad as a Trump supporter right now, ignoring the words and evidence put forth by the person your debating. Hilarious.

How can you put down a Trump supporter. Some of them cry when they see him at his rallies. There are people dying of cancer that want nothing more than Donald to be President. How dare you act like a non fan and put them down.

Here's some perspective for you, the Cubs and their fans to many of us, are what Trump and his supporters are to you. It doesn't appear like you will be saluting them if he wins on Tuesday.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
A team of superstars making over 3 times more money than a team full of no-namers, squeaks by even though they were huge favorites. Plus most of the games were not competitive. So memorable.

I read an article the other day that said the Cubs are basically the Yankees minus competence. :lol:

A team with a top 10 payroll beat a team with a bottom 10 payroll. What a shocker.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
How can you put down a Trump supporter. Some of them cry when they see him at his rallies. There are people dying of cancer that want nothing more than Donald to be President. How dare you act like a non fan and put them down.

Here's some perspective for you, the Cubs and their fans to many of us, are what Trump and his supporters are to you. It doesn't appear like you will be saluting them if he wins on Tuesday.

There's so much wrong with this post

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
They're estimating $5 million people for the parade rally. Certainly it's not that much, they always overestimate this stuff. But how soon until we hear about how the Cubs had x more fans there than the Sox?

I would hope they have more, their fanbase is at least 2-3 times larger.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
SO was this. 166 years without a championship between them. This will be turned into a movie. Book it.

Come on now... 2001 was the literal storybook ending. Game 7, bottom of the 9th, bases-loaded, game tied, 1 out facing the best closer in the game.

This game 7 would've only been comparable had one of the Indians batters walked off Chapman in the 9th.

The story-line of two teams that have been bad for a really long time just isn't as compelling.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
They're estimating $5 million people for the parade rally. Certainly it's not that much, they always overestimate this stuff. But how soon until we hear about how the Cubs had x more fans there than the Sox?

Damn attendance issues always being thrown in our faces!

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
Come on now... 2001 was the literal storybook ending. Game 7, bottom of the 9th, bases-loaded, game tied, 1 out facing the best closer in the game.

This game 7 would've only been comparable had one of the Indians batters walked off Chapman in the 9th.

The story-line of two teams that have been bad for a really long time just isn't as compelling.

To most people, turns out it actually is.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)

And I would also take team having miraculous comebacks representing a city that was just devastated by worst territorist attack in U.S. history is way more compelling than two incompetent franchises

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
Really happy for my friends and family members today, pure joy in their hearts last night.

As a Sox fan I am super Jealous seeing a team put together the right way with likeable players (other than Chapman).

And Lackey, screw that guy.