Pros and cons of trading Sale and Q this offseason

NCsoxfan

My first thought on this is that if you trade BOTH this offseason you're competing against yourself & end up hurting your return.

Obviously whoever gets Sale won't be in the running for Q or vice versa. On another note, waiting to trade the second until next trade deadline or next offfseason would open them up to a whole new crop of prospects. You never know who will emerge next season in the minors, so staggering the trades over a year could have strategic merit too.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
My first thought on this is that if you trade BOTH this offseason you're competing against yourself & end up hurting your return.

Obviously whoever gets Sale won't be in the running for Q or vice versa. On another note, waiting to trade the second until next trade deadline or next offfseason would open them up to a whole new crop of prospects. You never know who will emerge next season in the minors, so staggering the trades over a year could have strategic merit too.

In one of the weakest free agents in a while trading for sale or Quintana has to be better then giving rich hill whos the best free agent starting pitching on the market at least 15 million or more a year. The guy is 36 and will be 37 come opening day. Just 2 years ago the guy was pitching for a independent league. Waiting till next trade deadline is risky cause sale or Quintana can get injured. Also the teams trying to aquire them will be limited cause they are trying to compete. Offseason is the best cause more teams are available and also might be willing to give away a major league piece then in the middle of a playoff race and needing all hands on deck. Also next offseason you have a much better free agent class and then you have less years of control for sale and Quintana. Sox are in the prime of heaving two of the best pitchers available right now. Hopefully teams line up and sox get what they need in return

Judging by what I've been reading everywhere it looks like Sale is going to be moved for prospects. Unproven prospects. Would anybody be surprised to see that most of those prospects turn out to be a bust? Remember the infamous White Flag trade when the key to the trade was Mike Caruso? KW said that Caruso was a grinder type of player who White Sox fans would come to love. Caruso was a grinder but he had one major flaw, he couldn't play shortstop. Every ball hit to him was an adventure. After 2 seasons he was gone and he was never seen again in MLB. Trading Sale and Quintana could turn out to be the biggest PR disaster since the White Flag Trade. I'm really worried that we're in some real dark years on the South Side of Chicago. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
Judging by what I've been reading everywhere it looks like Sale is going to be moved for prospects. Unproven prospects. Would anybody be surprised to see that most of those prospects turn out to be a bust? Remember the infamous White Flag trade when the key to the trade was Mike Caruso? KW said that Caruso was a grinder type of player who White Sox fans would come to love. Caruso was a grinder but he had one major flaw, he couldn't play shortstop. Every ball hit to him was an adventure. After 2 seasons he was gone and he was never seen again in MLB. Trading Sale and Quintana could turn out to be the biggest PR disaster since the White Flag Trade. I'm really worried that we're in some real dark years on the South Side of Chicago. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

What would your offseason plans be this year? Who would you sign?

Also what would be your 2-4 year plan?

I've been down this mental path before and I always come back to selling our assets.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)

Remember when the other parts of that trade helped the Sox win the division in 2000? Caruso wasnt the only player in that trade that made the majors, Howry and Foulke had pretty good careers and both of them were key parts of the 2000 team.

Look, i understand people are worried about a rebuild. It is risky and there are no guarantees. But insinuating that the Sox shouldnt go down that path because of a trade that happened almost 20 years ago is ridiculous.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)

Yeah, I wouldn't be trying to deal both at the same time, but there is nothing to stop you from dealing one, and then going to the teams that missed out with the other pitcher.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
Remember when the other parts of that trade helped the Sox win the division in 2000? Caruso wasnt the only player in that trade that made the majors, Howry and Foulke had pretty good careers and both of them were key parts of the 2000 team.

Look, i understand people are worried about a rebuild. It is risky and there are no guarantees. But insinuating that the Sox shouldnt go down that path because of a trade that happened almost 20 years ago is ridiculous.

Yeah, Caruso wasn't the key to the deal, he was just the major league ready part.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)

The crown jewel of that trade was supposed to be Barceló, but he got hurt. KW called him a p****. Said he had to pitch through some pain. Turned out he needed elbow and shoulder surgery.

That turned out OK, especially since they were guys that were out of here anyway. Sale is a different story. Prospects can be great or they can get you excited and wind up being Avi Garcia and Matt Davidson. The Avi trade wasn't a killer since Peavy was going to go and they did get Montas who turned out to have value.

Edited by Dick Allen

My off season plan for 2017 is very simple. Keep Sale+Quintana and sign Cespedes and Castro as free agents.

And let's play your game of risks/busts...

Cespedes signs a four year HUGe contract... gets injured in the first month and/or busts. Now we are doomed for a bare minimum of two years, and likely for 4-5...