Cespedes back to Mets - 4 years, $110 mil

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Saw Dave Cameron wrote an article about the Mets should try to move Michael Conforto now (they have a huge glut of OFs).

What about something like OF Michael Conforto + SS Gavin Cecchini for Nate Jones?

Conforto was the #80 ranked prospect before his 1st major league season. He has now played a full season worth of games in the majors, and despite a low average (.238), he has a fine walk rate of 10%, and an average K% of 23%, to go along with 21 HR, above average defense, 109 wRC+ and a 3.4 WAR.

Gavin Cecchini is a SS likely to end up at 2B, and I would guess would come in around the top 50 in prospect lists. Was ranked #87 last year before hitting .325 in 117 AAA games this season, walking 10% of the time and only striking out a fantastic 11%. He also hits 8 HR, should play above average defense at 2B and has a strong arm.

Conforto will turn 24 before the year starts, Cecchini turns 23 in a month. Both are obviously major league ready, and both former 1st RD picks (10th and 12th respectively).

I would be down. I'm a big Nimmo fan too.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Saw Dave Cameron wrote an article about the Mets should try to move Michael Conforto now (they have a huge glut of OFs).

What about something like OF Michael Conforto + SS Gavin Cecchini for Nate Jones?

Conforto was the #80 ranked prospect before his 1st major league season. He has now played a full season worth of games in the majors, and despite a low average (.238), he has a fine walk rate of 10%, and an average K% of 23%, to go along with 21 HR, above average defense, 109 wRC+ and a 3.4 WAR.

Gavin Cecchini is a SS likely to end up at 2B, and I would guess would come in around the top 50 in prospect lists. Was ranked #87 last year before hitting .325 in 117 AAA games this season, walking 10% of the time and only striking out a fantastic 11%. He also hits 8 HR, should play above average defense at 2B and has a strong arm.

Conforto will turn 24 before the year starts, Cecchini turns 23 in a month. Both are obviously major league ready, and both former 1st RD picks (10th and 12th respectively).

Both of them for Jones straight up?

I would strongly consider it

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
Has nothing to do with being a Sox fan. They are paying Cespedes like he is one of the best in the game when he is not even close to being one of the best in the game. Not to mention the fact that he has been wildly inconsistent year to year. He will be the 3rd highest paid position player this coming year despite coming in 61st in fWAR among position players last year. Paying Yoenis Cespedes $27.5M as a 35 year old is something I would want no part of no matter whom I am a fan of.

The problem is - they're paying Cespedes as high of a yearly value as anyone in the game, but they're also paying him fair value for a 3.2 fWAR player on the open market. Both of these things can be simultaneously true given that the value of 1 WAR keeps going up.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Cespedes is not worth $27.5M a year and not many players are IMO. I for one am glad we aren't out there even thinking of throwing that kind of money around. Cesepdes wanted to stay with the Mets anyway

A player is worth what someone is willing to pay him. Period.

MLB is rolling in money, they basically are printing it hand over fist.

One of the reasons the Sox are in the position they are in is because they haven't been willing to go maximum dollars for players who become available and are difference makers. I thought I read somewhere last year where the Sox are one of only three teams in MLB to have never given out a 100 million dollar deal.

Instead we get the Austin Jackson's, Jeff Keppinger's and Adam LaRoche's of the world usually.

Mark

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
Yeah, longterm, although a lot could change in a year anyway, but regardless, both Conforto and Cecchini are blocked for 2017.

Would be a good deal for both teams. The two mets are blocked and jones is under cheap control for years.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)

It's a good idea, but I'm seeing rumors that the Mets are shopping Jay Bruce already...probably want to shed some payroll?

They do still have Brandon Nimmo who is interesting along with Wilmer Flores. Both don't seem to have starting spots right now for the Mets.

Although a lot older than you'd like (28) TJ Rivera is also intriguing. He has video game like #'s throughout the minors (seriously, take a peek) and hit well in his 1st limited shot in the majors this past year.

Robert Gsellman is another good looking MLB ready player that doesn't seem to have a starting spot in their rotation.

So if we could get any 2 of Conforto, Nimmo, Flores, Rivera, Gsellman I'd be pretty happy. Maybe get a low level lottery ticket guy depending on which 2 of the above as well ...

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)

One of the reasons the Sox are in the position they are in is because they haven't been willing to go maximum dollars for players who become available and are difference makers. I thought I read somewhere last year where the Sox are one of only three teams in MLB to have never given out a 100 million dollar deal.

Instead we get the Austin Jackson's, Jeff Keppinger's and Adam LaRoche's of the world usually.

Mark

Instead of using the team friendly contracts to their advantage they are going to to trade at least one those good contracts away and lose any advantage they may have had. Then IF they become competitive Rodon and Anderson will leave for the greener pastures.

They really are showing to be as poorly a run franchise as there is.

I guess I had my head in the sand.

Years of underdrafting and not using the international system to their benefit has caught up to them.

Maybe they have realized it now but it appears to be too late.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 05:17 PM)
Instead of using the team friendly contracts to their advantage they are going to to trade at least one those good contracts away and lose any advantage they may have had. Then IF they become competitive Rodon and Anderson will leave for the greener pastures.

They really are showing to be as poorly a run franchise as there is.

I guess I had my head in the sand.

Years of underdrafting and not using the international system to their benefit has caught up to them.

Maybe they have realized it now but it appears to be too late.

Jones is replaceable. The white sox need an infusion of young position player talent that the organization does not currently possess.

Jones is a more attractive trade chip than Robertson due to the years of control and low salary

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
Has nothing to do with being a Sox fan. They are paying Cespedes like he is one of the best in the game when he is not even close to being one of the best in the game. Not to mention the fact that he has been wildly inconsistent year to year. He will be the 3rd highest paid position player this coming year despite coming in 61st in fWAR among position players last year. Paying Yoenis Cespedes $27.5M as a 35 year old is something I would want no part of no matter whom I am a fan of.

The wildly inconsistent arguments are the same kind that we heard when he Gordon and Upton were free agents and the majority fawned over Upton. The Mets are in a position, if their pitching can regain their health, to continue their string of success . Could be they just place a priority on winning rather than the bottom line. I am sorry if I offended you with my comments about the cheap seats. Just sounded like Jerry Reinsdorf was talking to me , The last year or 2 of that contract may not be pretty as you suggest but to me your position just sounds like the fiscally responsible thing to do rather than what those interested in winning do.

Cespedes has outperformed both Gordon and Upton and the Mets line up has performed much better with him.Resigning him might not be the prudent thing to do but when such a move feels right to both the team and fans and the length of the contract is reasonable there are worse moves that could be made.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m2 minutes ago

Sources: Cespedes back to #Mets.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 24s24 seconds ago

Sources: Cespedes deal expected to be four year, $110M.

Hopefully this will put an end to the Cespedes talk here once and for all.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)

Mark

Using resources to acquire veteran NL talent has been a fail.