Sox/Rockies talking Abreu or Frazier

Jose Abreu

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Wow what position is he expected to play?

From what I understand, they have

C- Murphy

1B- ?

2B- DJ

SS- Story

3B- Arenado

LF- Desmond/Parra/Dahl

CF- Blackmon

RF- Gonzalez

Basically, Dahl is now freed up to be traded.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
From what I understand, they have

C- Murphy

1B- ?

2B- DJ

SS- Story

3B- Arenado

LF- Desmond/Parra/Dahl

CF- Blackmon

RF- Gonzalez

Basically, Dahl is now freed up to be traded.

The Rockies pitching currently is not good enough to compete

Trading for any of Quintana / Robertson / Jones would help them alot

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Wow what position is he expected to play?

Yeah, thats kind of a wtf signing. The Rockies OF is already full with Cargo, Blackmon, and Dahl, plus Parra and their IF is full outside of 1B.

Sets the Rockies up to trade some OF's for pitching.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
The Rockies seem like they want to compete.

Deal them whoever they want for a package around Rodgers and Dahl and I'd be ECSTATIC.

Wow, 5 years / 70 million for Desmond

He might play first base for the Rockies

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
We also move up a draft slot with this signing.

Do we really??

Dang just looked it up and we do move up one slot

So we sit at #11 overall instead of #12 it seems

Only a good thing for us

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
If they signed Desmond to play 1B, they'e presumably out on Abreu.

I don't see where Desmond has ever played 1B. Rockies have a surplus of OF, and, other than 1B, their IF is set. I don't know what they are thinking, but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them try to move Blackmon somewhere and then try to make a push for Abreu. They would be an interesting landing spot for Q as well, and definitely have the prospects to get it done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
And he still has the specter of a huge arbitration raise looming.

You keep saying this. Jose isn't going to get some giant raise this year. It is likely he will make roughly $12M, which is a very modest raise on what he made last season.

Sure, if he comes out and has a monster 2017, that may go to $15M or so the following year, but 2 years of control of a masher at ~$15-16M AAV is not crazy. You're putting way too much emphasis on this, IMO.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
I don't see where Desmond has ever played 1B. Rockies have a surplus of OF, and, other than 1B, their IF is set. I don't know what they are thinking, but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them try to move Blackmon somewhere and then try to make a push for Abreu. They would be an interesting landing spot for Q as well, and definitely have the prospects to get it done.

I don't know if it's wise, but reports are that they signed him largely to play 1B.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
I don't know if it's wise, but reports are that they signed him largely to play 1B.

The Rockies gave Desmond 5 years / $70 million AND forfeited the #11 overall pick in the draft

Huge ouch in my opinion. I would have sought other options before giving up a top 15 draft pick

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
You keep saying this. Jose isn't going to get some giant raise this year. It is likely he will make roughly $12M, which is a very modest raise on what he made last season.

Sure, if he comes out and has a monster 2017, that may go to $15M or so the following year, but 2 years of control of a masher at ~$15-16M AAV is not crazy. You're putting way too much emphasis on this, IMO.

Each raise sucks up surplus value, and reduces the return on any potential deal.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)

As of now. They could easily move Blackmon or Dahl for pitching.

Dahl, Tapia and Murphy would be a real nice foundation for a Q and Robertson deal. They also would still have interest in Frazier and Abreu under this scenario.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Each raise sucks up surplus value, and reduces the return on any potential deal.

We're talking minimal raises here, and plus, the value of the minimal raises is probably absorbed by the fact that any acquiring team could non-tender Jose if he were to suffer a horrific injury. It's basically a one year deal a $12M, with two options between $12-16M. That is pretty valuable in today's landscape, IMO. His defense would have to be a concern for an NL team, though, I must admit.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
The Rockies gave Desmond 5 years / $70 million AND forfeited the #11 overall pick in the draft

Huge ouch in my opinion. I would have sought other options before giving up a top 15 draft pick

So the Rox lose the 11th overall pick and the Rangers gain a compensation round pick right? Allowing us to move from the 12th to 11th overall pick?