Sox/Rockies talking Abreu or Frazier

Jose Abreu

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:24 AM)
Sox fans probably won't like this, but I would take a package of Kyle Freeland, Tom Murphy (who I've been putting in hypothetical trades for over a year now), and Ben Bowden (teammate of Fulmer).

Or just Tapia and Freeland.

I was just thinking that Tapia + Freeland seems like a pretty good package.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
Freelands lack of stikeouts concern me and limit him to a #4 at best starter in my opinion, more likely#5 or long relief

Fangraphs lead prospect writer just wrote up the Rockie system. Small blurb about Freeland....

"Freeland’s command is his finest attribute, garnering some future plus-plus grades from scouts. It allows him to get the most out of what is a deep but relatively pedestrian repertoire. His fastball sits in the low 90s with average downhill plane. His upper-80s slider is short and cutterish, but Freeland locates it very well to his glove side both to left- and right-handed hitters and it projects as plus at maturity."

Average stuff across the board is fine if you have plus-plus command. Scouts think he's a future #3 or #4 starter. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd be really surprised if the Rox would look at a proposal of Hoffman for Abreu as anything but lunacy.

I really like Jose in terms of a fan liking a guy, but he makes a lot of sense as a player to move. He's making money now, isn't under control in the super long term, and at his age we've likely seen the best of him. Get something shiny and send him along.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:52 PM)
I'd be really surprised if the Rox would look at a proposal of Hoffman for Abreu as anything but lunacy.

I really like Jose in terms of a fan liking a guy, but he makes a lot of sense as a player to move. He's making money now, isn't under control in the super long term, and at his age we've likely seen the best of him. Get something shiny and send him along.

In the same sense, you do still have to field a team. If Jose is not really getting much back at this point, to me he is an easy choice to keep around both because he's a good guy and because his bat may be more valuable at a deadline when bats are not so easy to come by.

How many bats other than Encarnacion are left on the market?

The cost savings as well as the age advantage are worth $35-55 million alone...and signing him's (EE) going to cost a pick or picks...so isn't a hitter in the prime of his career a pretty darned valuable asset if you take off your WAR-colored glasses?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:18 AM)

The cost savings as well as the age advantage are worth $35-55 million alone...and signing him's (EE) going to cost a pick or picks...so isn't a hitter in the prime of his career a pretty darned valuable asset if you take off your WAR-colored glasses?

Considering guys like Beltran and Holiday are getting deals for $16 and $13 million, yes, one would think so?

However, the value being given to prospects right now is so great that teams are willing to find one year type stopgaps, even if they have to pay a premium in cash, to hold on to those prospects.

Unless you get something you really like right now, I'd just as much hold onto him and move him in July either this year or next year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)

Napoli who may be somone Boston will go after if EE is too expensive.

I can't see Frazier being a fit for the Rockies at all. You're overspending on a guy who can play 3b in order to move him to 1b and then let him walk as a free agent?

I can come up with probably 10 teams Frazier is a better fit for. The point of Abreu is that he's on your team for 3/$45 ish and you can even cut that to 2/$28 ish if he gets hurt so his contract is nice and insured. That makes a ton more sense for the Rockies, as with several other teams.

I've felt for a while that he's a perfect fit for Cleveland. Lots of talent in their org, opening at 1b, would prefer the cost controlled guy compared to the big splash, no draft pick to give up as with EE. But you'd have to trade in the division.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:26 PM)
I can't see Frazier being a fit for the Rockies at all. You're overspending on a guy who can play 3b in order to move him to 1b and then let him walk as a free agent?

To be fair, Frazier has played plenty of 1B, especially in Cincy