Sox/Rockies talking Abreu or Frazier

Jose Abreu

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
So the Rox lose the 11th overall pick and the Rangers gain a compensation round pick right? Allowing us to move from the 12th to 11th overall pick?

Correct

We move up to #11 (although I don't believe we get additional bonus pool money as a result)

Texas gets a comp A round pick

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
As of now. They could easily move Blackmon or Dahl for pitching.

Dahl, Tapia and Murphy would be a real nice foundation for a Q and Robertson deal. They also would still have interest in Frazier and Abreu under this scenario.

Desmond has a lot of flexibility, and the early sense here in CO is that the Rockies have more moves planned.

The interesting thing for the Rockies is that Rodgers is blocked at the MLB level (depending on how you feel about Story's ability to sustain a .900 OPS at the MLB level). Could you get a package for Q and Robertson that starts with Rodgers and Tapia +? I tend to think that the Rockies management isn't the brightest in the league...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
Does having Moncada make it more likely that we would keep Abreu around for another year (kind of a stabilizing Cuban presence to help Yoan assimilate)?

I think that's part of it, and also the fact that Abreu is year-to-year now and is a really nice #3 hitter when healthy.

If I'm Hahn, I'm definitely listening to offers for Abreu right, but I'm not scrambling to deal him. Especially considering that I expect Abreu to bounce back to an .830-ish OPS this season. I think that Abreu will have more market value in July than he currently does.

My feeling is that in the winter, all the GMs know that 1B aren't really that hard to find and that just because Abreu is a pretty damn good hitter doesn't mean you have to sell the farm to get him. Come July, though, there are going to be 2-6 contenders who aren't getting production at 1B, DH, or perhaps another spot who will do anything to get a lively bat in their lineup. I look at it the same way that I do the idea of trading relief pitchers. You want to trade a reliever for a young Chris Davis? You won't do it in the winter.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
My feeling is that in the winter, all the GMs know that 1B aren't really that hard to find and that just because Abreu is a pretty damn good hitter doesn't mean you have to sell the farm to get him. Come July, though, there are going to be 2-6 contenders who aren't getting production at 1B, DH, or perhaps another spot who will do anything to get a lively bat in their lineup. I look at it the same way that I do the idea of trading relief pitchers. You want to trade a reliever for a young Chris Davis? You won't do it in the winter.

I agree^

Unless you get a terrific offer Abreu could be a marquee player available at the deadline for a contender and get a large return.

If he did not have such an awful first two months he would have had a pretty great season in 2016

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
Does having Moncada make it more likely that we would keep Abreu around for another year (kind of a stabilizing Cuban presence to help Yoan assimilate)?

More. And the door to the Rockies is seemingly closed with their signing Fowler and Desmond.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
What about something like Abreu + Putnam for David Dahl swap with the Rockies?

Gets them a natural 1B, allows Desmond to move to LF, and gets them the bullpen help they are seeking.

I'd love to get our hand on David Dahl.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
I'd love to get our hand on David Dahl.

If the Rockies are going for it (and with the Desmond signing, it looks like they are), I'd have to think they would have interest in Quintana. Not only is their rotation pretty poor, but I'd think Q's stuff would actually play well in Coors.

With either Dahl or Rodgers (unlikely, but he is blocked by DJ Lamahieu and Story), they have a top end piece that would look good in the Sox organization, Tapia looks like a solid second piece, and they have pretty good organizational depth to get a deal done - maybe McMahon and a late lottery ticket arm?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
If the Rockies are going for it (and with the Desmond signing, it looks like they are), I'd have to think they would have interest in Quintana. Not only is their rotation pretty poor, but I'd think Q's stuff would actually play well in Coors.

With either Dahl or Rodgers (unlikely, but he is blocked by DJ Lamahieu and Story), they have a top end piece that would look good in the Sox organization, Tapia looks like a solid second piece, and they have pretty good organizational depth to get a deal done - maybe McMahon and a late lottery ticket arm?

If Q gets moved to the rox I think Rodgers/Pint/Tapia is close to "fair" and the sale deal the #6, #39 & #71 overall prospects