Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

1. Does this give us a top 10 as it stands? I think we would be in the mid 20's before this trade.

2. I would have much preferred a Benintendi and Devers package over Moncada and Kopech, because a) would preferred two position player as headliners, b)the latter are bigger question marks, while the former may have a slightly lower ceiling, but they are much safer options. Anytime you're trading a superstar like Sale, you need to have surefire returns that's big league ready. I am not as sold on Moncada as I'm with Benintendi.

Since we have some $ to spend and Todd has been with young rebuilding teams I don't see why we don't sign him to a 5/90 deal and lock up 3B. We still can spend $ when it's worth it regardless of rebuild or contending. Todd seems like a solid teammate and 3B who can hit 40 HRs and field well don't grow on trees.

I imagine he can transition to 1B or DH if his fielding declines. I realize YO might play 3B.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Yeah, that was when Boston thought they weren't giving away a top player to get him. They literally gave away the top prospect in baseball, plus more.

Sure, I get that. Adding a potential perennial All-Star/HOF level talent will open a lot of doors.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
Excited to have Moncada, but can't help but wonder why this trade couldn't have been made at the trade deadline this year?
I don't think Boston was offering Moncada at the time, or if they were it was him and some filler. I also think the Nationals deal leaking last night pushed the Red Sox to make a move.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
Where did you see this?

I'd take Verdugo and Calhoun for Todd.

On Rotoworld: "Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Dodgers have expressed interest in White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier."

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Flip Q for the Nats package now? Toss in Eaton for more?

Abreu to someplace

Frazier/Melky/Robo dumped.

Turn the old "core" of Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu into 10-12 players with some stars. Turn the salary dumps into 5-6 players?

You don't "toss in Eaton" at all

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
Boston wasn't offering Moncada.

I thought they weren't offering players off the major league roster; hence, the wait until the offseason when those kinds of players could be available, but whatever. We have Moncada now, so hopefully a new and exciting era begins with him in the fold for years to come!

In FanGraph's trade value series last summer, they had Sale at #15 with 17.1 projected WAR from 2017-19 and Moncada at #26 with 15.6 projected WAR from 2017-21.

From their write-up on Moncada:

The best prospect in baseball, the market has already put a high value on Moncada once, back when he came with more uncertainty and was even further from the big leagues. 15 months after signing Moncada for $31.5 million, plus paying another $31.5 million in penalties because of the deal, Moncada looks to be worth well more than what Boston paid, and is generally considered to be the best prospect in baseball at this point. Overflowing with upside, Moncada looks like a potential franchise player with both speed and power, and while he doesn’t offer the present value that most of the rest of the players on this list do, people in the game think he could be a regular as early as next year, and be a star not too long after that. Given his upside, it’s very unlikely the Red Sox trade him; if they do, they’re going to have to get back a pretty great player, because Moncada’s now the kind of prospect that doesn’t get traded very often.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-trade-value-21-to-30/

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
Flip Q for the Nats package now? Toss in Eaton for more?

Abreu to someplace

Frazier/Melky/Robo dumped.

Turn the old "core" of Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu into 10-12 players with some stars. Turn the salary dumps into 5-6 players?

IMO, Q is a HUGE prize for someone. He's worth a lot.