Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
The way I understand it, the Red Sox already paid the tax, the Red Sox are covering his actual salary.

I thought it was a signing bonus...but I guess it can be paid over 3 years or something.

I had assumed the Red Sox were paying this all along.

I guess I am happy to see it confirmed.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
To be fair, he never had the opportunity to prepare for October. I also think he was overused for better part of the season, constantly throwing 110-120 pitches a game during the summer.

He wasn't overused. Sale and Quintana have thrown roughly the same number of innings over the past few seasons, yet Sale is the one who's been mediocre in September and has had to alter his pitching style to keep his arm fresh.

Pretty sure Boston has already paid Moncada a big chunk of that -- he doesn't have $31.5 million outstanding.

If his signing bonus was spread out over 3 years, he'd have around $10 million outstanding going into year three, if I'm doing the math right.

Edited by bighurt574

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-education...WQDBHNlYwNzcg--

Reading a previous link, this jumps out

Heresy though it may be, one scout who has seen Moncada extensively called him a “poor-man’s Mike Trout,” which is about the finest poor-man comparison one can get. Their bodies are similar – more linebacker than baseball player – and each comes with an enviable power-speed combination. Moncada strikes out too much, certainly – more than a quarter of his plate appearances between High-A and Double-A this year – but his 72 walks rank among the top 20 in all the minor leagues this season, and his slugging percentage ticked up about .500 after his promotion from Salem to Portland.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
The flip side is how many games did Sale demand to stay in?

It'll be interesting seeing Sale without Coop, Herm and the Sox PR protecting him.

Our bullpen blew saves left and right last season.

I think he'll learn to focus on the bigger picture now that he knows he'll be needed in October. And if Red Sox are smart, they will hand him with care.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
I wonder if because he was an international signing, if that would have counted against the caps for this year if the White Sox had started paying it?

I didn't even consider that. It just seemed so typical of Reinsdorf to refuse to pick up contract money like that. :lol:

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
I thought it was a signing bonus...but I guess it can be paid over 3 years or something.

I had assumed the Red Sox were paying this all along.

I guess I am happy to see it confirmed.

This is how I read it. They can pay him three installments over three years. My guess would be that the first two have been paid, with the third still to come after July 2, of $10.5 million.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Kinda wish Boston had not blown a year of service time by calling up Moncada in September...but I'm nit picking now

He was up for 31 days. That really doesn't effect the White Sox in any meaningful way. They have him for 6 years. If they wait 6 weeks to call him up they will get a 7th.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Apparently our targets were Betts and Benintendi + in July, that's why no deal.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

White Sox get a big haul from BOS -- and it's a step down for what they asked for in July, which included Betts and Benintendi.

LOL, if the White Sox asked for that it wasn't a serious ask, that was a "We're not trading Chris Sale" ask.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
I didn't even consider that. It just seemed so typical of Reinsdorf to refuse to pick up contract money like that. :lol:

It seems like that would be a loophole you wouldn't want open as a way around caps. Get someone else to sign and pay, and then trade them something later.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Apparently our targets were Betts and Benintendi + in July, that's why no deal.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

White Sox get a big haul from BOS -- and it's a step down for what they asked for in July, which included Betts and Benintendi.

Yeah that wasn't going to happen...