Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

Thoughts now that I've caught up:

Re: Kopech immaturity breaking his hand - remember when sale "broke his foot jumping off a truck"? That was b.s.

two: after AFL there were two players I expect a big ranking jump in - torres and Kopech. Kopech dominated.

That said. I think this was a win for both teams. I didn't see a need for other team to feel pain. Ideal was Josh Beckett trade, where florida got Hanley. Bos wins their world series, as does sale, and we get a future star.

I am slightly taken aback but how little got filled out at the backend. Expected another wildcard.

When you talk about a player so long they lose their impact, but damn, Moncada is great.

To those saying "why get someone who failed at ml level" just LOL at you.

Fair to be dissappointed in this deal, it is not the "we took your pants off and then threw you in a garbage can" return we first envisioned, but we just got (in all likelihood) two of the highest upside pieces in the minors.

edit: wrote majors instead of minors initially.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)
That looks great until you look at Sale's September splits. Cooper had to ask Sale to not throw as hard this past season just so that he wouldn't put up a 1.4 WHIP again down the stretch. One has to wonder how much of an asset Sale is going to be in October, and that's one of the reasons why I'm fine with dealing him.

To be fair, he never had the opportunity to prepare for October. I also think he was overused for better part of the season, constantly throwing 110-120 pitches a game during the summer.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 3m3 minutes ago Fort Washington, MD

Wow-The Red Sox will pay the entire $31.2 million left on Yoan Moncada's original $63 million deal. White Sox get sweet deal on the money.

Wow.

Wow. If you weren't getting teams to bite on prospects, this is a nice twist thrown in. Well done.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
I love this deal 100 times more than lowball Nationals offer. Now keep the rebuild going and do not stop.

Yes, peoples crazy deals they threw out with language like "Kopech is a throw-in" (lol).

We are about to have two pitchers that hit 102, one that starts.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 52s52 seconds ago

Chisox asked for benintendi, as everyone has (bos wants to keep). Chisox likes Jackie bradley Jr. Very much, and others

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
And it was also reported that they wouldn't give up Moncada.

They wouldn't give up both in the same deal. Decent chance the White Sox got the guy they preferred.

Maybe but that's not what was reported.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
If I was a Boston fan I'd be happy with this deal. It would suck to lose Moncada but he's far from proven and you're getting a bonafide ace who dominated the AL. Sure fire all star and probable Cy Young winner. The rest of the prospects are too far away from the majors to be overly concerned about. They have potential but are total wild cards.

Both are still at best 3 years away from making any real contribution.

This is from the Red Sox forum (not sure how well they know these prospects).

I wonder if DD laughed out loud when they asked for Diaz and Basabe. Lottery tickets at best.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)

Wow-The Red Sox will pay the entire $31.2 million left on Yoan Moncada's original $63 million deal. White Sox get sweet deal on the money.

Wow.

That has Jerry Reinsdorf written all over it. No way that JR was going to pick that up.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)

Wait, I thought he only got $31.5 million and the other $31.5 million was luxury tax?

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
To be fair, he never had the opportunity to prepare for October. I also think he was overused for better part of the season, constantly throwing 110-120 pitches a game during the summer.

The flip side is how many games did Sale demand to stay in?

It'll be interesting seeing Sale without Coop, Herm and the Sox PR protecting him.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
That has Jerry Reinsdorf written all over it. No way that JR was going to pick that up.

I wonder if because he was an international signing, if that would have counted against the caps for this year if the White Sox had started paying it?