Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
I don't think there is any possible way that was going to happen.

We could have gotten the Red Sox top 5 prospects and there would have still been people that preferred the certainty of Sale.

I disagree. I'm concerned Hahn wasn't able to get even 1 MLB ready player for the best pitcher in the AL. Earlier in the thread it was reported that Hahn re-initiated talks with DD by saying the Sox we're wiling to "come off" the guys they had previously asked about. I don't get that approach. Moncada will probably be good but I would have liked a MLB player in there as well. That's not too much to ask for the best pitcher in the AL who's left handed and paid peanuts.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)
Word this morning that the Nats package included Giolito, Robles, AND Lopez

The more Nats get squeezed the better for us. Lost out on Davis now too.

That is a very competitive package, had to be hard to turn down.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:39 AM)
I disagree. I'm concerned Hahn wasn't able to get even 1 MLB ready player for the best pitcher in the AL. Earlier in the thread it was reported that Hahn re-initiated talks with DD by saying the Sox we're wiling to "come off" the guys they had previously asked about. I don't get that approach. Moncada will probably be good but I would have liked a MLB player in there as well. That's not too much to ask for the best pitcher in the AL who's left handed and paid peanuts.

Apparently Nats offered Lopez, so we were offered some. We took the players we liked most, which I'm happy about.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:03 AM)
Greg, it took three years of tearing it down for the Cubs to win it all.

That's no guarantee for the Sox, but you do understand that rebuilding means get bad really fast, then rebound, right?

The first year of tanking got them Kris Bryant, the next got them Schwarber.

That also requires drafting well with those picks and a little bit of luck (imagine if Houston takes Bryant over Appel, or if you have top picks in weak drafts). Look how long it took KC to get it right.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:03 AM)
Greg, it took three years of tearing it down for the Cubs to win it all.

That's no guarantee for the Sox, but you do understand that rebuilding means get bad really fast, then rebound, right?

The first year of tanking got them Kris Bryant, the next got them Schwarber.

3 years, and somewhere around half a billion dollars in free agency. This is where we lack.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)
Word this morning that the Nats package included Giolito, Robles, AND Lopez

While a great package, I do think we had to go for the group with the best position player headlining. They could have changed our minds with Turner, but the Sox so lack positional talent, they almost had to go this route.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
3 years, and somewhere around half a billion dollars in free agency. This is where we lack.

The Cubs also hit on a ridiculous number of draft picks. Nobody could have predicted they would all produce like they have. Couple that with a couple of miracle trades and you can win a title.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:50 PM)
I'm starting to think it makes sense to keep Q, unless they get a similar package for him.

This is just nuts. This mentality by some Sox fans around here is just nuts.

Sale is #1 in like 10 stats in AL pitchers over the last 5 years. Jose Quintana is not, nor is he close. The Sox can get a couple of very solid prospects for him, but nothing like that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
The Cubs also hit on a ridiculous number of draft picks. Nobody could have predicted they would all produce like they have. Couple that with a couple of miracle trades and you can win a title.

I obviously used best case example, but the Astros botched a number of picks are in a much better place than before.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)

Sale is #1 in like 10 stats in AL pitchers over the last 5 years. Jose Quintana is not, nor is he close. The Sox can get a couple of very solid prospects for him, but nothing like that.

He is close, in fact. I don't know what stats you're looking at. Another thing to consider with Quintana is the extra year of control he has over Sale.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)

If the 95% rumors are true, Q should be gone already. He's not the caliber of Sale.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
I obviously used best case example, but the Astros botched a number of picks are in a much better place than before.

Brady Aiken is gonna be a stud for Houston. Mark Appel too. Idiot!

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)

Seriously, the Astros are young and exciting. I wish I could get the channel they are on in my cable package.

I'd much rather be fun and compete than be whatever the last couple of years were.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post?id=15286

The line many probably wanted to hear sorry if duplicate:

"But some evaluators thought Boston’s offer was staggering, a value-for-value overpay by a team willing and able to do so. “No way anyone was close to that,” one rival executive noted. Keith Law writes that Chicago got great return."