Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

I would dispute his statement that Boston would not be able to extend Sale. Not sure how he came to that conclusion since they dumped a ton of money on Price who is a step down from Sale. A bigger question will be how Sale survives the media frenzy in Boston. Some guys like Pedroia and Ortiz thrive there. But Adrian Gonzalez did not. If Sale loves Boston they have the resources to resign him. But I wonder if he will survive the scrutiny.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 07:13 AM)
Jason Mastrodonato ‏@JMastrodonato 2h2 hours ago

More

Andrew Benintendi said his agent called him right before the Chris Sale trade. "You'll know in the next 2 minutes if you're staying or not."

If true, that sure as hell is interesting... to me it suggests that the Red Sox presented two packages, one based on Moncada and another based on Benetindi... the White Sox probably informed Boston that they were going to trade with them and gave them a time for presenting their decision.

Don't see any other explanation for this quote.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
If true, that sure as hell is interesting... to me it suggests that the Red Sox presented two packages, one based on Moncada and another based on Benetindi... the White Sox probably informed Boston that they were going to trade with them and gave them a time for presenting their decision.

Don't see any other explanation for this quote.

This is what I think.

Could be, could be more that agent heard rumors of a sale trade and was just prepping him in case.

The post-mortems were pretty thorough from Boston media and seemed to indicate it was just haggling out of backend of Moncada/Kopech.

If you think that is just because not talking about potential trades with players on roster, that's fair, but with the Yankees trades with the cubs we know they were offered that A/B deal between Jiminez or Torres. Haven't heard that with Sale trade in final days.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Could be, could be more that agent heard rumors of a sale trade and was just prepping him in case.

The post-mortems were pretty thorough from Boston media and seemed to indicate it was just haggling out of backend of Moncada/Kopech.

If you think that is just because not talking about potential trades with players on roster, that's fair, but with the Yankees trades with the cubs we know they were offered that A/B deal between Jiminez or Torres. Haven't heard that with Sale trade in final days.

Actually, I think this is probably all it was.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
Steve Buckley

@BuckinBoston

This is how much confidence Dave Dombrowski has in Andrew Benintendi: "We never came close to trading him in the wintertime." #RedSox

Don't believe it. That quote is from the same man who also said they wouldn't be trading for Sale since they were happy with their starters. Also, now that Benintendi is their top prospect left, what do you expect Dombrowski to say?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
Soxtalk, preparing itself to be retroactively pissed off at a trade that may or may not have been on the table

I'm thinking it wasn't. Agent probably just heard wind of a "Sale to Red Sox for prospects" deal and probably figured he should let his client know. But yeah, you're probably right haha

Edited by soxfan2014

• 2 weeks later...