Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
The Sox should take both of them and clean out the Yankees system.

Eh. If they were one year deals, I'd agree. BOth are signed through 2018. Would add $25M to the payroll both this year and next. That is quite a lot to swallow, and would definitely affect the Sox chances of competing in 2018 if a bunch of stuff went right this season with prospect development.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
Eh. If they were one year deals, I'd agree. BOth are signed through 2018. Would add $25M to the payroll both this year and next. That is quite a lot to swallow, and would definitely affect the Sox chances of competing in 2018 if a bunch of stuff went right this season with prospect development.

I would definitely take one.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)

If we were to take on those guys, I would want their entire top 5. To start with.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Clearly you can see I'm losing my mind as well :lol:

So why not take back Headley in a deal, pay a little Robertson salary and get the huge haul we want. The yanks are one of the few teams that could use some salary relief from the luxury tax. We can afford to take it on. Headley is due 13 million in each of the next 2 years.

Maybe Headley has a fantastic first half and we can unload him to a team in need at the deadline. If not he keeps the seat warm for our prospects and could be a good veteran in the clubhouse to help teach the youngsters. I don't recall him being a bad teammate

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
Gardner and Headley are not negative value pieces and may actually give the Sox a couple guys to flip at the deadline. And really I'm not on board with the idea of breaking loss records, having a watchable MLB team would be nice.

They certainly don't add a lot of value in deals. If it means trading Robertson and taking back one of these guys to get a good return then do it.

Gardner and Headley are not negative value pieces and may actually give the Sox a couple guys to flip at the deadline. And really I'm not on board with the idea of breaking loss records, having a watchable MLB team would be nice.

Exactly, you have to field a team so get good character players and guys who have something to prove. Both of those guys seem like good character guys and they are steady decent ballplayers. They are old, but not ancient. 32 and 33 right now.

I really doubt the Yankees adding another stud prospect would be determined by taking back Headley or Gardner.

I can see taking back Headley or Gardner to make the deal work being a requirement, but it wouldn't be the the difference between acquiring Torres or Frazier and Torres and Frazier.

If it's true Headley and Gardner do not have negative value then the Yanks adding them to the trade lessens the overall prospect return for the Sox. No thank you. Taking Headley or Gardner back in a trade should only be done if it enhances the prospect return somehow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
I really doubt the Yankees adding another stud prospect would be determined by taking back Headley or Gardner.

I can see taking back Headley or Gardner to make the deal work being a requirement, but it wouldn't be the the difference between acquiring Torres or Frazier and Torres and Frazier.

Right, they were worth 2.6 (Headley) and 2.4 WAR (Gardner) last year and are owed $26m/2 years, and $23m/2 years respectively, if they really wanted to give them away they wouldn't have to include a top prospect to do so.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
They certainly don't add a lot of value in deals. If it means trading Robertson and taking back one of these guys to get a good return then do it.

Gardner last 2 years is about the same as Eaton in stats but about 20 pts lower in average and 10 pts lower in OBP. Steals a few more bases.

Headley about the same with a 30 pt lower average and OBP but still not a terrible ballplayer.

A real positive about these guys is that they have each averaged over 150 games played per year over the last 4 years. They have stayed healthy.

If it's true Headley and Gardner do not have negative value then the Yanks adding them to the trade lessens the overall prospect return for the Sox. No thank you. Taking Headley or Gardner back in a trade should only be done if it enhances the prospect return somehow.

Yankees are obviously clearing money to go hog wild next two offseasons so they have their own motivations.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Right, they were worth 2.6 (Headley) and 2.4 WAR (Gardner) last year and are owed $26m/2 years, and $23m/2 years respectively, if they really wanted to give them away they wouldn't have to include a top prospect to do so.

The point is you are doing the yanks a favor by taking on the contract and saving them a ton of money and getting rid of guys who are on the downside of their career and blocking playing time for their young players.

It is exactly what the White Sox should use in negotiations. The negotiations are more than the value of the player on the field. You really think they could get anything from anyone for those guys? You are taking on guys nobody wants to sweeten the deal for the Yanks.

Glad some of you aren't negotiating for us.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
The point is you are doing the yanks a favor by taking on the contract and saving them a ton of money and getting rid of guys who are on the downside of their career and blocking playing time for their young players.

It is exactly what the White Sox should use in negotiations. The negotiations are more than the value of the player on the field. You really think they could get anything from anyone for those guys? You are taking on guys nobody wants to sweeten the deal for the Yanks.

Glad some of you aren't negotiating for us.

Not really. As I said, it doesn't really count as doing them a favour when they could just do it to another team and probably get something back for it rather than give something away.