Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Eh, I wouldn't say the Cubs got better. But they are still the best team in the NL without question. I agree I wonder if the Dodgers get on the Quintana sweepstakes. They may need to deal a contract, but Quintana of course has a very team friendly deal and will improve their rotation significantly.

Yeah cubs have a bit of an unknown with Fowler gone but get a big plus with Schwarber.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Yeah cubs have a bit of an unknown with Fowler gone but get a big plus with Schwarber.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a little championship hangover too. Would think it's hard to have as much motivation and hunger after you win it.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
They also lost the best closer in the game.

Meh, unpopular opinon I'm sure but I'd rather have Davis than Chapman, though I know people think Davis is injured.

Davis seems much more of the Andrew Miller firehose reliever than Chapman, who needs to be your closer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Meh, unpopular opinon I'm sure but I'd rather have Davis than Chapman, though I know people think Davis is injured.

Davis seems much more of the Andrew Miller firehose reliever than Chapman, who needs to be your closer.

I get why the Sox would not want to trade Sale to the Cubs, but I could see the Cubs being interested in Quintana and his cheap four years of control. He would slot perfectly into the rotation and provide additional insurance against Arrieta leaving in free agency.

With the way their roster is currently constructed, players like Ian Happ, Eloy Jimenez and Jaimer Candelario have nowhere to play

Now I doubt the Cubs would be willing to offer this, but a deal of Happ, Jimenez and Candelario for Quintana could make sense for each side

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
I get why the Sox would not want to trade Sale to the Cubs, but I could see the Cubs being interested in Quintana and his cheap four years of control. He would slot perfectly into the rotation and provide additional insurance against Arrieta leaving in free agency.

With the way their roster is currently constructed, players like Ian Happ, Eloy Jimenez and Jaimer Candelario have nowhere to play

Now I doubt the Cubs would be willing to offer this, but a deal of Happ, Jimenez and Candelario for Quintana could make sense for each side

In a earlier post i said Happ and Jiminez alone and i would do it in a heartbeat. Alittle light but when you put all the pitchers we received in the other two trades ill take 2 highly regarded position players. Maybe get Cantini the catcher.

I kinda want Q to go to the NL because I'm certain he'd be a Cy Young winner when his innings are limited and he gets even fewer legit batters per lineup. Would Q winning a Cy Young on the Cubs kill me? It's possible.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
In a earlier post i said Happ and Jiminez alone and i would do it in a heartbeat. Alittle light but when you put all the pitchers we received in the other two trades ill take 2 highly regarded position players. Maybe get Cantini the catcher.

Happ, Jimenez and Candelario are blocked for the foreseeable future, so their best use might be as trade bait for starting pitching.

The infield and outfield are both jammed, and I can't see many opportunities for any of those players to crack the mlb roster barring injuries

Turning them into Quintana would do wonders for their chances of repeating, as well as lessen the pressure to resign Arrieta (or any free agent pitcher for that matter) to a lengthy megadeal

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
I kinda want Q to go to the NL because I'm certain he'd be a Cy Young winner when his innings are limited and he gets even fewer legit batters per lineup. Would Q winning a Cy Young on the Cubs kill me? It's possible.

It makes a ton of sense for both the Cubs and Sox to strike a Quintana deal

Will it happen? Extremely doubtful, but on paper it makes lots of sense

Long term the Cubs are not really set on the corner OF. I doubt they see Jiminez as being blocked and I'm certain they want another guy who can play the MIF in case the Russell/Baez strikeout issues spiral out of control again. You know it absolutely kills Theo that he had to deal Torres to get Chapman, I doubt he does something similar without having a glaring roster compulsion forcing his hand.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Long term the Cubs are not really set on the corner OF. I doubt they see Jiminez as being blocked and I'm certain they want another guy who can play the MIF in case the Russell/Baez strikeout issues spiral out of control again. You know it absolutely kills Theo that he had to deal Torres to get Chapman, I doubt he does something similar without having a glaring roster compulsion forcing his hand.

They are set in terms of Schwarber, Heyward and Zobrist under control for multiple more years

They are stuck with Heyward, they need Schwarber's bat in the lineup and he is not going to catch

Russell isn't going anywhere, nor is Baez

The time might be now to use guys like Happ and Candelario as trade chips. They likely want to keep Jimenez due to his big upside, but Happ and Candelario are expendable.

I don't think Happ and Candelario are enough to get a Q deal done though

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)

Clayton Kershaw, one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history, says hello. When healthy, the Cy Young is pretty much his and his alone, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Clayton Kershaw, one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history, says hello. When healthy, the Cy Young is pretty much his and his alone, imo.

Sure, but Cy Young voting is stupid.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
Would be crazy if the Cubs came for Quintana.

Yeah I don't think it's that big of a need, I think that it would be attractive to cubs at right price due to the control smoothing out possibility of losing Arrieta, but they as every probably want to hold even their blocked prospects to fill holes in team mid season.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Quintana does not have to get dealt this offseason if their price is not met

They can shop him at the deadline or next offseason and still get a huge return

This cannot be emphasized enough. Hahn is ready to hold his players until his asking prices are met. If teams like the Astros want to diddle around and wait for a lower ask, they are only hurting themselves. While I still think Q finds a new home before Spring Training, I am fully prepared for the possibility of him not being dealt yet. Frankly, he's one of the few pitchers in the league I'd be okay with risking him getting hurt or having a bad year instead of dealing him to the "best bid."

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
Reed would be worth a gamble in a three of four player package. He entered 2016 as a highly touted prospect but a horrible 48 game stretch at the mlb level has tarnished that quite a bit.

Hitting .164 overall and .064 in 17 at bats against lefties is frightening for sure for a guy pegged as a plus hitter.

If Musgrove is not in the deal I could see Martes/Tucker/Reed plus one lower level prospect making sense, although Houston might not want to give up on him so quickly

If musgrove is really the sticking point an Reed doesn't have a place in their line up I wouldn't be against Martes/Tucker/Whitley/Reed/Stubbs put the screws to them.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
If musgrove is really the sticking point an Reed doesn't have a place in their line up I wouldn't be against Martes/Tucker/Whitley/Reed/Stubbs put the screws to them.

Where are people hearing that Musgrove is a sticking point? where are these hypothetical Astros deals even coming from? Not questioning, just curious (since I was offline most of the weekend).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Where are people hearing that Musgrove is a sticking point? where are these hypothetical Astros deals even coming from? Not questioning, just curious (since I was offline most of the weekend).

Luhnhow saying he doesn't want to trade away major league assets as he views them as instrumental to their post season run in 17; Bregman and Musgrove.

Gammons tweeted the ask was Martes, Tucker, Musgrove. Lunhow was quoted leaving the Winter Meetings that they aren't prepared to trade anyone that would be a core to their 2017 production. Might not be the hold up, but it sort of makes some sense.

Asking for Musgrove/Martes/Tucker is very fair from the White Sox point of view

That is not an unreasonable price for 4 seasons of a cost controlled #2 starting pitcher

After the top few guys I do not like the Astros system that much for a Quintana deal

Musgrove is a really solid prospect in his own right, ranking #32 overall at 2016 mid season by baseball america. I really like his plus control. Houston likely views him as a future rotation piece

Gammons reported the White Sox demands and then it was reported elsewhere (perhaps people just surmised) that Lunhow wont give up players who will contribute in 2017. Musgrove is definitely in their 2017 plans, but Martes is too so maybe that's the hang up.

Personally my ideal Astros deal is centered around Tucker while going for a quantity of guys from the belly of the Astros system. They have a lot of interesting position player prospects. Tucker is the only real must-have from their system and the Sox can squeeze a 4, or perhaps even 5, prospect haul out of the Astros by abandoning aspirations of Martes/Musgrove/Reed it can really give them even more flexibility and options going forward.