Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
Totally agreed - can't forget Rick Hahn loves those 3-team trades as well. Someone like the Blue Jays, Mets, or even the Orioles could easily be interested in Blackmon. Could get a few good prospects from the team acquiring Blackmon, and Rodgers from Colorado.

Potentially even put Abreu or Frazier into the package (obviously with a bigger return), or even Jones or Robertson. The Rockies bullpen is still pretty trash even with Dunn.

The Cardinals make a lot of sense as the third wheel in a trade. They really need another OF, and Blackmon or Cargo would fit perfectly and they could provide pieces that the Sox would value so the Sox would not need to strip away too many of their own prospects.

Something like:

Cardinals get: Blackmon

Rockies get: Reyes and Quintana

Sox get: Rodgers, Hoffman, Tapia, Sosa, Kelly

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
The Cardinals make a lot of sense as the third wheel in a trade. They really need another OF, and Blackmon or Cargo would fit perfectly and they could provide pieces that the Sox would value so the Sox would not need to strip away too many of their own prospects.

Something like:

I don't think St. Louis would deal Reyes, Sosa and Kelly for two seasons of Blackmon, especially after signing Fowler

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
Guys, this is why you have to be careful with sample sizes and stats:

- Reed had only 15 ABs all of last year against lefties in the majors. 1-15 is bad, but Alex Bregman started 1-32 OVERALL.

- The guy had an 870 OPS against lefties in the minors last year.

- He's 23 and sprinted through the minors. Still tons of time to develop.

Way way too early to call him a platoon bat. Would love to see him in a Q deal as a buy low.

This is where you have to trust your scouts and baseball people.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
I don't think St. Louis would deal Reyes, Sosa and Kelly for two seasons of Blackmon, especially after signing Fowler

That would be the "Eaton-like" return the Rockies are going for, and they are still in need of another OF to go along side Fowler and Piscotty. Blackmon would allow Fowler to move from CF to a spot where his defense may be an asset. Not sure how the Cardinals would value that, but with their rotation in pretty solid shape, I can see them making a move to compete now after handing that contract to Fowler.

Something like:

Not anymore. Grichuck, Fowler, Piscotty is what they're going with.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
That would be the "Eaton-like" return the Rockies are going for, and they are still in need of another OF to go along side Fowler and Piscotty. Blackmon would allow Fowler to move from CF to a spot where his defense may be an asset. Not sure how the Cardinals would value that, but with their rotation in pretty solid shape, I can see them making a move to compete now after handing that contract to Fowler.

Can't see St Louis dealing Reyes, who is mlb ready + two more of their top 15 prospects for two seasons of Blackmon

Eaton got the return he did because of his cheap 5 seasons of control

Something like:

If the Rockies truly are holding out until they get an Adam Eaton type offer, it'll never happen. He hits more bombs but he's been an average of a 3 WAR player the last 3 years. Eaton was what? A 5 WAR average? Not to mention his splits are iffy. His power plays home and away, but everything else nosedives 60+ points. His BABIP in Colorado for his career is obscene. It's like .360+, his road BABIP is .297, which is around league average I believe. So his splits on the road aren't unlucky, they're actually pretty accurate to the player he likely is.

The Cardinals, to me, wouldn't make that deal. With the climate of overvaluing prospects/first year guys, Reyes is probably not even being considered as something they would deal straight up for Blackmon.

I'd love the haul for the Sox but I think we'd have to include something of significance to STL (like a Frazier or Abreu). And frankly, if it got us a package like that, I wouldn't mind.

Edited by HeGone7

Thank you. That is such a stupid comment re: Eaton type trade. Blackmon is on a 3 year deal (now), Eaton on a cheap 5 years of control. Eaton is 2 years younger. Eaton is better at everything except dingers.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/c...ntend/95458154/

Article mentions they are talking to Trumbo and Encarnacion. Posted today.

Even best case scenario...they sign either Trumbo or Encarnacion and move Desmond to OF + trade Blackmon for pitching help

Blackmon is not going to return a #1 or #1 starting pitcher, and the bullpen is atrocious

Load up on offense all you want, but unless they make drastic overall pitching improvements that team will never sniff a world series

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
Call me crazy, but how does a team with a bottom 5 mlb starting rotation and the worst bullpen in baseball + Mike Dunn make them a contender?

Am I the only person not drinking the Rockies cool-aid?

That pitching staff won't be able to hang with the Dodgers or Giants to win the division, let alone win a playoff series

Yeah idk. They'd definitely have to make a significant add (maybe 2) to each their rotation and bullpen.

Hmmm what team is looking to sell just those parts I wonder.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
Yeah idk. They'd definitely have to make a significant add (maybe 2) to each their rotation and bullpen.

Hmmm what team is looking to sell just those parts I wonder.

They were a 75 win team in 2016, adding Dunn and Desmond is not taking them to the promised land with that pitching

That team badly needs players like Quintana and Robertson to bring some stability to the staff

QUOTE (GermanSoxFan @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Would be very Rockies-like to give Trumbo the 80M he was looking for. As a GM I would want to stay away as far as possible from that guy. I'd sign Edwin over him 10 times out of 10. age difference be damned.

I would much much rather have encarnacion over trumbo as well

If they can sign Encarnacion, as well as trade for Quintana + significant amount of bullpen help, then I would buy them contending for the West

That pitching is just too crappy to ignore right now

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Blackmon CF

LeMahieu 2B

Arenado 3B

Gonzalez RF

Encarnacion 1B

Desmond LF

Story SS

catcher

That's pretty lethal. That pitching needs work as mentioned.

"Needs Work" is putting it lightly. They had a team ERA of 4.91 in 2016...good for #27th in the mlb, and the mlb worst bullpen at 5.13 ERA

If they are serious about contending they would have the Sox on the phone and be talking about a Quintana + Robertson deal

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
"Needs Work" is putting it lightly. They had a team ERA of 4.91 in 2016...good for #27th in the mlb, and the mlb worst bullpen at 5.13 ERA

If they are serious about contending they would have the Sox on the phone and be talking about a Quintana + Robertson deal

You keep keep acting like I'm disagreeing with you based on your comments lol I know their pitching needs help as I've mentioned a bunch throughout this thread.

Edit: and I bet if they add one more bat, they will be on the phone with them with an offer that will blow us away.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
You keep keep acting like I'm disagreeing with you based on your comments lol I know their pitching needs help as I've mentioned a bunch throughout this thread.

Sorry if my comment read that way haha. I know we agree

I keep reading all this Rockies optimism, and just can't get over the fact that a few moves (Trumbo/Encarnacion + Desmond + Dunn) is not going to take them from 75 to 88+ wins