Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
The lesson we have learned from trades is that teams are largely unwilling to part with players that impact their immediate mlb rosters (Bregman, Turner, Swanson, Benintendi, etc.), but are willing to part with prospects that are not mlb ready right now (Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, Basabe, Diaz). It makes sense because subtracting a bat from the mlb roster creates another hole to fill.

Rodgers should very much be on the table in trade talks though

I do feel like asking for Rodgers and Dahl plus an additional 2 pieces would kind of be asking for a lot. A deal would probably be more along the lines of Rodgers, Tapia (could plug him into center next season), and then 2-3 additional pieces. I guess it kind of depends on who else they move from the OF and how serious they are about Desmond at 1B or acquiring another.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
The lesson we have learned from trades is that teams are largely unwilling to part with players that impact their immediate mlb rosters (Bregman, Turner, Swanson, Benintendi, etc.), but are willing to part with prospects that are not mlb ready right now (Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, Basabe, Diaz). It makes sense because subtracting a bat from the mlb roster creates another hole to fill.

Rodgers should very much be on the table in trade talks though

Moncada, Giolito, and Lopez are about as close to MLB ready as prospects get. Moncada could use a couple months in AAA, and they will all get it, but any of these guys could easily open in the bigs, and likely would on most MLB rosters.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
I do feel like asking for Rodgers and Dahl plus an additional 2 pieces would kind of be asking for a lot. A deal would probably be more along the lines of Rodgers, Tapia (could plug him into center next season), and then 2-3 additional pieces. I guess it kind of depends on who else they move from the OF and how serious they are about Desmond at 1B or acquiring another.

A reasonable asking price to start with would be:

Rodgers + Hoffman or Pint + Tapia for Quintana

If Colorado balks at that asking price then: Rodgers + Tapia + + + might work

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
if mugrove is the hold up I would love to see Martes/Tucker/Reed/Laureano/Stubbs

I think this is the best possible specific package from the Astros. I'd take it, especially if the Rockies aren't seriously involved.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Small sample size, yes. But 48 major league games is not small enough to totally dismiss.

Reed had 17 plate appearances against lefties and struck out 9 times, which is awful.

The bigger concern for me is that he stuck at at a 31% rate in 124 plate appearances against righties.

You must hate Moncada.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
A reasonable asking price to start with would be:

Rodgers + Hoffman or Pint + Tapia for Quintana

If Colorado balks at that asking price then: Rodgers + Tapia + + + might work

No thanks on Pint. A 19-year-old in Rookie ball is too risky for Quintana. I know there's lots of upside and he's better than the 5+ ERA he put up, but the Sox can do better.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)

The Rockies will move Blackmon this offseason if they move any OF. Blackmon has 3 years of team control left, but he's already 30. The Sox wouldn't have any interest, but plenty of contending teams should have interest there.

Honestly, I think a fair deal between the Sox and the Rockies would be Q for Rodgers, Hoffman/Pint, and Tapia (if Pint instead of Hoffman, maybe the Sox get a 4th piece accounting for the risk of a HS pitcher). With the exception maybe of Hoffman, all those are parts the Rockies would/should be willing to move. Their system and needs match up well with the Sox on Q.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
So we can expect another package centered around pitching prospects? I understand the philosophy of stocking up on arms, but at some point we're going to need to go for bats.

We can draft bats, but drafting 1 or 2 is not going to improve our depth much (especially when there's a good chance one of those picks busts).

Almost seems to be the exact opposite of the Cubs farm philosophy at this point. They stockpiled on positional prospects and then signed pitching (or traded for it).

I understand the want for bats, but roster construction isn't the point of this exercise, right now it's about gathering assets.

What the Cubs did was impressive but they really only went heavy on bats in the draft. Trades and free agent acquisitions were pretty balanced. They had a clear draft strategy and executed it, that's the part to replicate.

Look at free agency right now....there were plenty of hitters available this year, and some fairly reasonable contracts to be had. The pitching market was vomit inducing. If you needed two starting pitchers or two starting hitters to complete a team, which would you prefer going into the offseason?

When the Sox get closer to competing you then worry about a balanced roster and filling out holes. For now, just get as many good assets as you can and focus on developing them.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
No thanks on Pint. A 19-year-old in Rookie ball is too risky for Quintana. I know there's lots of upside and he's better than the 5+ ERA he put up, but the Sox can do better.

Pint certainly comes with risk, but players with his upside are hard to find

I'm not overly concerned about ERA in rookie ball right out of high school

He is a developmental project, one that might be too far from the mlb for our rebuilding purposes...but one with high upside that is rare. He has three plus grade pitches and a projectable 6'4", 195 lb body. The upside is Justin Verlander, the floor is a bust.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
It's possible the Rockies could move an outfielder like Blackmon and then use some of the prospects they get for him in a Q trade.

Or just have a 3 team trade. Who would be an odeal trade partner for Colorado and us? Who is in desperate need of a cf?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
It's possible the Rockies could move an outfielder like Blackmon and then use some of the prospects they get for him in a Q trade.

Stark on Blackmon:

Jayson StarkVerified account

‏@jaysonst

Teams that spoke to the Rockies seem doubtful Charlie Blackmon gets traded: "They're only trading him if they get an Adam Eaton type deal."

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
I understand the want for bats, but roster construction isn't the point of this exercise, right now it's about gathering assets.

What the Cubs did was impressive but they really only went heavy on bats in the draft. Trades and free agent acquisitions were pretty balanced. They had a clear draft strategy and executed it, that's the part to replicate.

Look at free agency right now....there were plenty of hitters available this year, and some fairly reasonable contracts to be had. The pitching market was vomit inducing. If you needed two starting pitchers or two starting hitters to complete a team, which would you prefer going into the offseason?

When the Sox get closer to competing you then worry about a balanced roster and filling out holes. For now, just get as many good assets as you can and focus on developing them.

I 100% agree. You never can have too much pitching, and the cost for pitching in free agency is extreme. A mix of bats and pitching is what we should be looking to acquire over the next three seasons.

Trading Quintana and Robertson should end us up with a top #3 farm system and in great shape for a rebuild going forward

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)

Totally agreed - can't forget Rick Hahn loves those 3-team trades as well. Someone like the Blue Jays, Mets, or even the Orioles could easily be interested in Blackmon. Could get a few good prospects from the team acquiring Blackmon, and Rodgers from Colorado.

Potentially even put Abreu or Frazier into the package (obviously with a bigger return), or even Jones or Robertson. The Rockies bullpen is still pretty trash even with Dunn.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Stark on Blackmon:

‏@jaysonst

Teams that spoke to the Rockies seem doubtful Charlie Blackmon gets traded: "They're only trading him if they get an Adam Eaton type deal."

The Rockies are not getting anything close to an Eaton deal when he only has 2 seasons of team control left before hitting free agency and is on the wrong side of 30

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
Totally agreed - can't forget Rick Hahn loves those 3-team trades as well. Someone like the Blue Jays, Mets, or even the Orioles could easily be interested in Blackmon. Could get a few good prospects from the team acquiring Blackmon, and Rodgers from Colorado.

Potentially even put Abreu or Frazier into the package (obviously with a bigger return), or even Jones or Robertson. The Rockies bullpen is still pretty trash even with Dunn.

Rockies have the worst bullpen in the mlb, and Dunn does not do that much to make it better.

Robertson and/or Jones would be very attractive pieces to them I would think

Stark on Blackmon:

‏@jaysonst

Well that would certainly give the Sox a few more toys to play with in a Q to Rockies trade.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
Or just have a 3 team trade. Who would be an odeal trade partner for Colorado and us? Who is in desperate need of a cf?

Think I already saw a Blackmon for Stroman deal earlier in the off season I believe? Blue Jays just don't have a ton of prospects though and there's no way the Rockies are trading Blackmon AND Rodgers + to get Q. It's really a tough situation with Q somehow. I think we are really honestly are just waiting for the Astros to crack and that's about it. Hopefully they are fishing around the league for SP and realize the Tucker/Martes/Musgrove or Reed package is actually pretty reasonable.

Stark on Blackmon:

‏@jaysonst

The Sox may have just cut their nose to spite their face?

If Houston wants Quintana and the Sox don't want to lessen their asking price, getting a third team involved could get a deal done