Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
Lol we are set with OF prospects?? What the hell are you smoking and where do I get it? Aside from Basabe (who is a mere projection at this point), every organization has the type of prospects like Tilson, Engel, and Call/Fisher. If we manage to get a 4th OF'er and a platoon player out of those 4 we should be happy if you're being realistic about it. How about just get as much talent as possible? And Tucker just so happens to be really talented.

This. You collect as much as possible at any and every position since you won't hit on all of them.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
Or even 2-3 WAR.

Other than 1 more bat, that was what was lacking the last few years. The Sox just weren't solid around the diamond and on the mound. Some 2-3 War volume, instead of 1-neg 1 WAR volume, who have made the difference. Now they needed a lot of that volume.

As for Q, I think the Astros will come back to the table. The Sox negotiated down from Devers to 2 other players; similarly, they wanted Musgrove and Martes; just take one and 2 lesser players, plus Tucker (who should be a must).

I also wonder about Seattle...they sure could use Q.

Sox should not reduce the price for Quintana as he is pretty much the only quality pitching option on the market right now.

With Houston not offering Bregman, a deal with them lacks a true elite prospect (like Moncada).

Martes/Tucker is a starting point, but I don't feel that a deal is close without significantly more coming to the Sox

Reed/Stubbs/Perez/Laureano/Whitley/Hernandez are all players of interest that could potentially round out a trade

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Sox should not reduce the price for Quintana as he is pretty much the only quality pitching option on the market right now.

With Houston not offering Bregman, a deal with them lacks a true elite prospect (like Moncada).

Martes/Tucker is a starting point, but I don't feel that a deal is close without significantly more coming to the Sox

Reed/Stubbs/Perez/Laureano/Whitley/Hernandez are all players of interest that could potentially round out a trade

If Gammons quote is accurate and the Sox were willing to trade for a Tucker/Martes/Musgrove package, you have to think eventually something will get done with Houston. They are 100% analytics, so Q, who probably is the Ben Zobrist of pitching sabermetrically, is one of the best pitchers in baseball to them, signed cheaply for 4 years with a couple of outs in case something horrible happens. I think there will be a 4 or 5 prospect trade for him myself. All of the other dancing IMO is just for show.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
If Gammons quote is accurate and the Sox were willing to trade for a Tucker/Martes/Musgrove package, you have to think eventually something will get done with Houston. They are 100% analytics, so Q, who probably is the Ben Zobrist of pitching sabermetrically, is one of the best pitchers in baseball to them, signed cheaply for 4 years with a couple of outs in case something horrible happens. I think there will be a 4 or 5 prospect trade for him myself. All of the other dancing IMO is just for show.

I'd be a little surprised if the Sox traded Quintana for a three player package including 2 pitchers at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
They seem to have zero regard for the future roster in these deals, and everything about how they are ranked.

I agree with you. They are either admitting many of these guys are going to bust or kidding themselves they or other pitchers will be traded for frontline hitting. That has been the strategy since Schueler was the GM, and they rarely ever trade for a hitter who actually hits. It's happened. Quentin, Eaton. But the list is short, and they need hitters in 2 or 3 years close to everywhere.

It's also one of the reasons I always stood up for Greg Walker. Coop, Coop, Coop could do no wrong, but if you really examine it, they give him a lot more to work with. It's not like Todd Steverson has 4 new guys the GM said are middle of the order guys. He did say they have 4 that are top of the rotation guys.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
They seem to have zero regard for the future roster in these deals, and everything about how they are ranked.

It seems like that so far but I am confident they will shift focus to position players in the very near future. I certainly didnt want them to go only position player talent with complete disregard of their future pitching staff. Pitching is still priority for putting together a winning formula.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)

Ha! This is true! I do think they are approaching it as if to acquire all the best talent--regardless of position. It's early and they are simply looking to acquire assets of value. It's kind of like you do in fantasy baseball--take the best player available and then if you end up with a surplus at the end of the draft, you flip something you have for something you need of equal value.

Personally I'd like to see the rebuild center around position players then buy any needed SP when you're ready to contend. I like the idea of these guys playing together as early as possible--turning double plays, learning relay throws...all things defensively benefit by having a good core of 8 players on the field. Then, just add water (pitcher).

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)

I am open to a 4 or 5 prospect deal, so long as the depth in the package is quality

Our farm system is very top heavy right now and needs quality depth. A quintana package does need to net them premium talent though

QUOTE (FT35 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
He! This is true! I do think they are approaching it as if to acquire all the best talent--regardless of position. It's early and they are simply looking to acquire assets of value. It's kind of like you do in fantasy baseball--take the best player available and then if you end up with a surplus at the end of the draft, you flip something you have for something you need of equal value.

Personally I'd like to see the rebuild center around position players then buy any needed SP when you're ready to contend. I like the idea of these guys playing together as early as possible--turning double plays, learning relay throws...all things defensively benefit by having a good core of 8 players on the field. Then, just add water (pitcher).

We all would like to see some bats added to the farm, but I strongly believe in going for the best prospects available in a trade

We have needs all over the place, and you truly never can have too much pitching.

I want the best talent too, but there's a reason TINSTAAPP is a saying, pitching prospects are a lot riskier. And if you're talking about rankings I believe pitching prospects are about equivalent in risk/value to position players ranked ~10 spots below them (there was an article on Fangraphs about this), so I'm willing to go further down the list if it means more position players at this point.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
The #WhiteSox still want to trade Jose Quintana,and figured #Astros were perfect match, but won't move him until someone meets their price.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/809094035944144896

This tweet is the definition of posturing. The Sox are using Nightengale to try and up the Astros' offer.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

The #WhiteSox still want to trade Jose Quintana,and figured #Astros were perfect match, but won't move him until someone meets their price.

And as with Sale "their price" will come down a little and the Astros will meet them in the middle. What other options do the Astros have? Tampa is being completely unreasonable with Archer and Sonny Gray is more of the same for them.

Edited by Con te Giolito

Ya, thanks Bob. Anything NEW to report that we don't already know? That's some Bruce Levine reporting right there.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
This tweet is the definition of posturing. The Sox are using Nightengale to try and up the Astros' offer.

I guess but I would think the more efficient posturing would be to feed Nightengale info about other teams being involved, not just the Astro's are the Sox favorite potential partners just not offering enough. They could just tell the Astros that themselves.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
I guess but I would think the more efficient posturing would be to feed Nightengale info about other teams being involved, not just the Astro's are the Sox favorite potential partners just not offering enough. They could just tell the Astros that themselves.

Other teams could still get involved on Quintana. Nearly every contender could use him

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
I could really use a Quintana/Rockies rumor right about now.

I would trade Quintana

For Rogers, McMahon, Competetive balance pick#69, and 75% max of their international money.

Rogers is the real deal. Imagine Rogers , Moncada, and Anderson up the middle.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
Other teams could still get involved on Quintana. Nearly every contender could use him

I know, I was just making the point that its not quite the Definition of posturing.

This comes off a little desperate in my opinion. I read that as the White Sox are focused on getting a deal done with the Astros and there isnt much competition. Wouldn't it just be better to say interest is increasing now that the dust has settled from winter meetings or some s***.