Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Nightengale said he would be surprised if Q wasn't traded sometime this week, so I'm still holding out hope. That being said, it's been awfully quiet lately.

Is that recent? I think with the lack of much anything going on, if a deal goes down, it will be with a team that hasn't been heavily discussed (at least from a recent rumor perspective).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Is that recent? I think with the lack of much anything going on, if a deal goes down, it will be with a team that hasn't been heavily discussed (at least from a recent rumor perspective).

It was last friday, just after the meetings.

The worst part about the Winter Meetings ending every year is there are no more deadlines.

Remember that the Cespedes saga lasted for WEEKS, and Alex Gordon hadn't signed for another 3 weeks from now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)

The worst part about the Winter Meetings ending every year is there are no more deadlines.

Remember that the Cespedes saga lasted for WEEKS, and Alex Gordon hadn't signed for another 3 weeks from now.

Pretty stale. That said, everything got a later start. I think you do have some more deadlines as we approach the holidays though, as front offices tend to do a bit of a slow down for family type matters which again, creates some urgency / artificial deadlines to wrap things up. The pace of moves have been about the slowest I can ever remember and post winter meetings, it isn't unusual for a bit of a slowdown as teams regroup, but when I factor in the overall context of so few moves (and the poor FA class), it is interesting that we haven't seen a bit more pace this week. I do expect next week to be a very busy week.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)

I have read with texting and email and cellphones, the Winter Meetings are more show that substance as far as trade talk. It is needed for the job fair, and other things,but modern technology has made them obsolete for trades and signings, although it seems some things actually happen there. If Hahn didn't trade Sale and Eaton, this years Meetings would have been a bore for everyone.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
I have read with texting and email and cellphones, the Winter Meetings are more show that substance as far as trade talk. It is needed for the job fair, and other thinks, but modern technology has made them obsolete for trades and signings, although it seems some things actually happen there. If Hahn didn't trade Sale and Eaton, this years Meetings would have been a bore for everyone.

The whole offseason has been a bore. Usually the winter meetings are a time when you cement a lot of trade talks (plus hit a lot of items as it relates to free agent moves / meetings with agents. Everything centralized leads to just more robust talking, but agree, there are all the other things happening too. Owners meetings a few weeks prior are a precursor to a lot of things. Everything this year has been different due to the CBA overhang and the historically bad free agent class. That said, as I just said in another thread, my prediction is we'll see the pace pick up leading into next week, with the holidays serving as a bit of an artificial deadline.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
Avi isn't listed. I guess he didn't appreciate getting booed last year. That was pretty classless.

That still bothers me. I can't stand Avi the player but dude works his butt off and didn't deserved to be booed.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Pretty stale. That said, everything got a later start. I think you do have some more deadlines as we approach the holidays though, as front offices tend to do a bit of a slow down for family type matters which again, creates some urgency / artificial deadlines to wrap things up. The pace of moves have been about the slowest I can ever remember and post winter meetings, it isn't unusual for a bit of a slowdown as teams regroup, but when I factor in the overall context of so few moves (and the poor FA class), it is interesting that we haven't seen a bit more pace this week. I do expect next week to be a very busy week.

Kevin Millar is pretty much the resident goofball at MLBN but when he wants to get serious, he is interesting. He was talking about his free agency, first when he signed with Boston, and then when he signed with Baltimore. He said everything was OK when he hadn't signed by the holidays, but once the new year started panic starts setting in. He wound up signing in February, and was pretty nervous he wasn't going to have a home. I think when he signed with Boston he actually was close to going to Japan.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
Kevin Millar is pretty much the resident goofball at MLBN but when he wants to get serious, he is interesting. He was talking about his free agency, first when he signed with Boston, and then when he signed with Baltimore. He said everything was OK when he hadn't signed by the holidays, but once the new year started panic starts setting in. He wound up signing in February, and was pretty nervous he wasn't going to have a home. I think when he signed with Boston he actually was close to going to Japan.

Good info and I can see why....typically we don't see a lot of moves made as you get later in the year. Teams use resources, etc. The fact that so little has happened so far is just so stinking odd. Do we see ML teams panic that they haven't addressed needs and thus up their offer to acceptable levels for Q? FA wise, I would think a lot of players would be nervous as they just in general would like to have an idea of where they are, what is going to happen. Such a weird weird year.

We do know that the market for Robertson is pretty much established at this point (no other options via FA and DRob is probably the most proven guy on the block). Frazier's market is likely set as well (with Turner now off the market). And with Q, it is more the matter of what team ultimately decides / views him as an ace / co-ace. If teams don't view him as that, I don't know that we ultimately get the price we want.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
That still bothers me. I can't stand Avi the player but dude works his butt off and didn't deserved to be booed.

he's paid fairly enough to take it. That said, no, he didn't deserve it. He is a scapegoat for the orgs failure. He busted his ass to come back ahead of schedule from the injury. It's not his fault that when he was acquired the FO apparently didn't realize he has zero pitch recognition skills or ability to track a baseball in flight.

Should there be any reason why the Winter Meetings matter? No.

Is it an artificial deadline that does in fact spur movement? Of course it does.

EE right now is SO similar to Cespedes/Gordon last year. We all think his value is cratering, it will continue to drag out, then all the sudden there will be a bidding war as a team splurges to make him their last piece.

But Quintana shouldn't really be waiting on a market. Nor should Robertson. I'm interested to see what happens there, I expect it before Christmas but it feels SO LONG since we've had our last activity but in fact it was less than a week ago.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Should there be any reason why the Winter Meetings matter? No.

Is it an artificial deadline that does in fact spur movement? Of course it does.

EE right now is SO similar to Cespedes/Gordon last year. We all think his value is cratering, it will continue to drag out, then all the sudden there will be a bidding war as a team splurges to make him their last piece.

But Quintana shouldn't really be waiting on a market. Nor should Robertson. I'm interested to see what happens there, I expect it before Christmas but it feels SO LONG since we've had our last activity but in fact it was less than a week ago.

Hahn called DD and said he was trading Sale at the Winter Meetings, so basically he was ending the auction and all of the posturing. If he didn't do that, who knows, Sale and Eaton probably aren't yet traded, and the Winter Meetings are a total bust. Think how many teams have done next to nothing this offseason. It is pretty incredible.

I thought things would be crazy this week with the holidays coming up. Still a chance, but not looking good

Edited by Dick Allen

Trades are different than free agency. It'd be really low of the White Sox to make Quintana wonder where he is going to play for two months, especially while he's under a long term contract that he signed so he would have some security. Ballplayers expect to get traded, its part of life, but guys like Quintana who have been great on and off the field deserve the courtesy of getting it over with one way or another. If he's not dealt within a week or two Sox should either take the best offer or pull him back.

I think he gets dealt soon though. Luhnow and Hahn have a middle ground they can and will find.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
he's paid fairly enough to take it. That said, no, he didn't deserve it. He is a scapegoat for the orgs failure. He busted his ass to come back ahead of schedule from the injury. It's not his fault that when he was acquired the FO apparently didn't realize he has zero pitch recognition skills or ability to track a baseball in flight.

I get that but it doesn't mean I have to like that our fans did that. There's plenty of players I would have booed in their time on the Sox, I don't think Avi deserves to be one of those guys.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:20 PM)
Hahn called DD and said he was trading Sale at the Winter Meetings, so basically he was ending the auction and all of the posturing. If he didn't do that, who knows, Sale and Eaton probably aren't yet traded, and the Winter Meetings are a total bust. Think how many teams have done next to nothing this offseason. It is pretty incredible.

I thought things would be crazy this week with the holidays coming up. Still a chance, but not looking good

I hope the reason why teams are quiet isn't because they have decided that the Cubs are going to string together a dynasty run now--and it's not really worth going all in till the Cubs prove to have dents in their armor. I do believe there are teams that fall into this category--the Pirates most notably. Sucks to be a team on the fence in the NL right now--I wonder how many will come to the realization that they need to hold off going for it. Same can be said for the Red Sox. Of course there have been super teams in the past (Blue Jays 2014?) that haven't panned out. But I think the lack of activity now means we could see a MUCH more active trade deadline in July as teams hold off to see just how competitive they are and how they stack up with the super powers in each league. To some extent you have this every year...but MLB is really diverse right now with the rich getting richer. It's a great time to do what we're doing.

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)

That is pretty much his personality. When he played for the Kane county Cougars, he kept everybody laughing but was also one of the most intelligent and well rounded players. Florida would sent many of the non-English speaking players to the team and he would help them with English but in the Harold Ramis manner from "Stripes"

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)

Totally agree. I respect the dude a ton for the work he put in to get back from his shoulder injury. To me there are plenty of guys who deserve to be boo'd but Avi isn't in that group. He works hard, is a good teammate, and has no off of the field drama. Boo a wife beater or someone like that. Honestly the whole customer is always right mentality that drives people to attack people over performance in a game is just silly and dramatic for no good reason.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
The argument always made was that almost none of our prospects came back to bite us.

The problem with that line of argument is that it led to a continual erosion of depth, to the point where we never had the right pieces after that 1998-2001 cycle to get someone like Miguel Cabrera via trade. We were always on the short end.

As I recall, the Sox lost out on Cabrera because they wouldn't take Dontrell Willis.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
As I recall, the Sox lost out on Cabrera because they wouldn't take Dontrell Willis.

That was one part of it, but we also didn't have a combo of a LHP pitcher and CF as highly regarded as Miller and Maybin at the time of the trade, either.

I have a hard time believing we were ever actually close for Cabrera. Our rumored deal was sooooooooo much worse than Detroits. I think Marlins just used us, and Kenny was more than happy to act like he landed a big fish (PUN INTENDED!)

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
I have a hard time believing we were ever actually close for Cabrera. Our rumored deal was sooooooooo much worse than Detroits. I think Marlins just used us, and Kenny was more than happy to act like he landed a big fish (PUN INTENDED!)

What was the rumored deal again? For some reason, I don't remember it at all.