Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
For what it is worth, Stubbs was outhit by Tim Tebow in the Arizona Fall League and batted only .171 in 20 games

That just signals that Stubbs is far from sniffing the mlb level

Most of the guys we have gotten are years away from MLB.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
For what it is worth, Stubbs was outhit by Tim Tebow in the Arizona Fall League and batted only .171 in 20 games

That just signals that Stubbs is far from sniffing the mlb level

I think I just like the potential upside of a catcher plus a guy like Reed who raked in the minors and maybe just needs a bit more exposure at the major league level. Might blow up too though. I try not to get overworked at a sample size as small as AFL, especially because a guy could be there to work on a specific matter, which can have a direct impact on his stats. That said, it is always hard to look at some of the offensive minor league numbers of the Astros A/AA/AAA guys because those leagues are such hitters havens.

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
From a speculation stand point, I think the Rockies make way too much sense. Quintana is one of the few pitchers that might actually pitch decent in Coors as well.

I live out here in CO, and as a Purple Row article mentioned, I think it could benefit both teams greatly. I have not seen Rodgers play, but everyone raves about him here...

Also, if there was anyway ever we could get David Dahl, sign me up. Seen him play multiple times and is going to be the real deal. Just a pipe dream though.

With the Rockies, I would think Dahl might be in play. They have so many major league OFs as it is, maybe they'd consider trading Dahl instead of Blackmon for an elite starter. I'm not as high on Tapia, and I think Riley Pint is too young and risky to center a package around. So Dahl and/or Rodgers would be to be involved for my money.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
I know Houston wouldn't but I'd do a straight up Q for Bregman

If the Astros wouldn't do this trade, they would be insane. But if I were Rick Hahn, I wouldn't trade Q for Trout(if you weren't allowed to turn around and trade him again for some reason) straight up in the situation the Sox are in. You need quantity in a rebuild. Look at the recent trades the Indians made for CC and Lee. The headliners did nothing (Laporta and Marson) and those trades were saved by secondary pieces performing better than expected.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

With Reed there is the Anthony Rizzo comp that gives you enough hope to be excited about the guy even if you dont believe in him that much. His value has really tanked now too, he's basically a throw in to these deals. He's probably 3rd on depth chart at 1b for them behind Gurriel and Marwin Gonzalez, and this is a team that still seemed pretty hot in their pursuit of EE until something happened at 11th hour that really turned them off. Perhaps a failed medical who knows.

If the Astros wouldn't do this trade, they would be insane. But if I were Rick Hahn, I wouldn't trade Q for Trout(if you weren't allowed to turn around and trade him again for some reason) straight up in the situation the Sox are in. You need quantity in a rebuild. Look at the recent trades the Indians made for CC and Lee. The headliners did nothing (Laporta and Marson) and those trades were saved by secondary pieces performing better than expected.

You've lost your mind. Trout!? For Quintana?!

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
I think I just like the potential upside of a catcher plus a guy like Reed who raked in the minors and maybe just needs a bit more exposure at the major league level. Might blow up too though. I try not to get overworked at a sample size as small as AFL, especially because a guy could be there to work on a specific matter, which can have a direct impact on his stats. That said, it is always hard to look at some of the offensive minor league numbers of the Astros A/AA/AAA guys because those leagues are such hitters havens.

I pretty much disregard any hitting numbers from Houston's class A Lancaster...that place is a jet stream for homers and hitting

While Tucker is a good prospect, the power is projection at this point (understandable for a soon to be 20 year old)

His brother, Preston, tore up the minors but has struggled since getting called up to the bigs

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
With Reed there is the Anthony Rizzo comp that gives you enough hope to be excited about the guy even if you dont believe in him that much. His value has really tanked now too, he's basically a throw in to these deals. He's probably 3rd on depth chart at 1b for them behind Gurriel and Marwin Gonzalez, and this is a team that still seemed pretty hot in their pursuit of EE until something happened at 11th hour that really turned them off. Perhaps a failed medical who knows.

Reed needs to get in better shape and take care of his body

We could use his power potential at 1B or DH

Anthony Rizzo would be a big ceiling for AJ Reed to achieve. I'd park him in AAA for awhile and bring him along when he's ready.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)

When it comes to Reed, you have to trust your scouts and baseball people. They will be able to tell you if the debut was a fluke, or if there is fire there. Plenty of people flop in their MLB debuts only to come back and have big careers. Heck, Robin Ventura was 0-41 during his debut.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
When it comes to Reed, you have to trust your scouts and baseball people. They will be able to tell you if the debut was a fluke, or if there is fire there. Plenty of people flop in their MLB debuts only to come back and have big careers. Heck, Robin Ventura was 0-41 during his debut.

Martes/Tucker/Reed is an interesting package. Sox needs to start getting some position players in the pipeline

I'd love to see one more player like Perez thrown in to sweeten the deal. Martes/Tucker/Reed/Perez is a great package

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Musgrove is not going to be an ace of a staff, but he has the excellent control to be a #4 or #4 on a playoff team

Yes. But how many teams use their #4 starter in the playoffs anymore? The formula seems to be a 3-man rotation--1a, 1b, 3, 1a, 1b in a 5-game series and 1a, 1b, 3, 1a, 1b, 2, 1a in a 7 game series. Depending on how the series is panning out, they might rush their 1a back to stay alive, but #4 is an extra innings eater or a blowout game guy in the post season anymore. You need 2 aces and a #3.

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
From a speculation stand point, I think the Rockies make way too much sense. Quintana is one of the few pitchers that might actually pitch decent in Coors as well.

I live out here in CO, and as a Purple Row article mentioned, I think it could benefit both teams greatly. I have not seen Rodgers play, but everyone raves about him here...

Also, if there was anyway ever we could get David Dahl, sign me up. Seen him play multiple times and is going to be the real deal. Just a pipe dream though.

In order to get both Rodgers and Dahl, Sox would have to give up both Q and Abreu. Probably a reliever, too. Rox could throw in a young first baseman and a young catcher. My pipe dream, too.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
Martes/Tucker/Reed is an interesting package. Sox needs to start getting some position players in the pipeline

I'd love to see one more player like Perez thrown in to sweeten the deal. Martes/Tucker/Reed/Perez is a great package

I agree that Martes/Tucker/Reed needs (at least) one more piece, but instead of another pitcher like Perez I'd prefer one of the OFs: Fischer, Laureano or Hernandez.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/12/...spects-for-2017

John Sickels' take on the Astros farm for those interested.

Just from his descriptions (and nothing else), I'd be more willing to roll the dice on the younger guys such as Perez/Laureano/Hernandez/Sierra to fill out a package headlined by Tucker/Martes. Guys like Fisher/Reed/Stubbs seem less interesting, even if they have a higher floor.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
In order to get both Rodgers and Dahl, Sox would have to give up both Q and Abreu. Probably a reliever, too. Rox could throw in a young first baseman and a young catcher. My pipe dream, too.

With Bregman pretty much off the table, this is my top pipe dream target too. The Rockies make some odd choices (Ian Desmond...?), so who knows, maybe they'd pull a Dave Stewart and trade both Dahl and Rodgers for Quintana plus one more piece (Abreu/Robertson/Frazier/Jones).

As far as Keith Foulke trade goes, important to keep in mind that Foulke was in a walk year and Koch was pre-arbitration. We also got Neal Cotts back in that trade, who ultimately probably provided us more value than that one year of Foulke would have.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Hahn really does hold the cards. Two comparable trades have set the market, and Lunhow doesn't really have a ton of other options. What this is setting up for IMO, is a much deeper & stronger minor league package, once Hahn lets go of Musgrove.

Lunhow has Danny Duffy and Yordano Ventura available to take him to the playoffs *laughing hysterically writing this*

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
With Bregman pretty much off the table, this is my top pipe dream target too. The Rockies make some odd choices (Ian Desmond...?), so who knows, maybe they'd pull a Dave Stewart and trade both Dahl and Rodgers for Quintana plus one more piece (Abreu/Robertson/Frazier/Jones).

Quintana AND Abreu for Dahl and Rodgers? No thanks.

I'd need at 2 out of three of Tapia, McMahon and Murphy in addition to those 2.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Quintana AND Abreu for Dahl and Rodgers? No thanks.

I'd need at 2 out of three of Tapia, McMahon and Murphy in addition to those 2.

Not even that ChiSox.

If Quintana AND Abreu are going, i'm requesting Dahl, Rodgers, Hoffman +2 lottery tickets