Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
I'm saying our hypotheticals have been over each time. It's unlikely we get three top 100 prospects when one of those is a near ready top ten.

Ah, OK, I follow ya now. Still waiting for my coffee to wake my brain up.

I wonder if Meadows is a potential sticking point. From what I've read the Pirates are counting on Meadows to be McCutchen's replacement if they find a suitor for Cutch. Also sounds as though the Pirates do not want to part with Bell so if that's the case then Glasnow has to be the headliner or the Pirates are SOL. Glasnow is the type of pitcher that would make the Sox FO drool over.

Let's say hypothetically we get a package for Quintana that includes Meadows & Newman. That would give us a very nice collection of up the middle talent to rebuild our offense around. Between those two, Anderson, & Moncada we should feel pretty good about having SS, 2B, & CF covered. If Collins can stick at catcher, obviously a big question mark at this point, that take cares of the entire middle. On the position player side that would only leave the corners & DH, which should be easier to fill via free agency or using our secondary trade chips. I really hope this rumor is true, because I love how well a Pirates trade could supplant the other moves Hahn has already made.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)

I wonder if Meadows is a potential sticking point. From what I've read the Pirates are counting on Meadows to be McCutchen's replacement if they find a suitor for Cutch. Also sounds as though the Pirates do not want to part with Bell so if that's the case then Glasnow has to be the headliner or the Pirates are SOL. Glasnow is the type of pitcher that would make the Sox FO drool over.

The Pirates need pitching and are not going to trade Glasnow. If they're actually going for it, which a Quintana move would suggest, they'll most likely hold onto Cutch and use Meadows as a headliner.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
What would you want from Pittsburgh? I don't know their system that well, but I think Meadows is a must as the headliner.

Meadows is definitely the must have. Newman would be the other piece I'd really like. After those guys, the Pirates have enough depth to offer a very nice four played package.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Meadows and Bell would be absolutely amazing, but I'm not counting on it.

Anyone think Pittsburgh could be interested in Abreu as well? He's not that expensive, controlled for a couple years, and could replace Bell if he's coming to Chicago.

The problem then is the ask is simply too much and the Pirates would basically going all in over the next three years. I can see them using their depth to get a Quintana, but I just don't see Abreu being worth the cost to them.

I'm not that big of a fan of Newman would much prefer Bell. If sale is the outline you can make the case beause of Q's 4th yeah and afforability it opens up the market even more than Sale. Especially if all three of the Yankees, Astros and Pirates are all truly in on him.

Moncada > Meadows

Kopech

Basabe = Hayes

Diaz

that return feels about right for Quintana.

a near major league outfielder with some health issues that has returned, a switch hitting 1B that has questions with regards to his power but great discipline, a 19 year old 3b lotto ticket and a very intriguing left handed arm that has touched 99 in short stints with power slider.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
The Pirates need pitching and are not going to trade Glasnow. If they're actually going for it, which a Quintana move would suggest, they'll most likely hold onto Cutch and use Meadows as a headliner.

I agree and would prefer a package that brings back more hitting than pitching but trading for Q would make it easier for the Pirates to part with Glasnow. That's just an uneducated guess on my part though.

I'm hoping that if a deal is struck with the Pirates that one of Meadows/Bell is the headliner with Newman as the secondary piece. After that, not sure what to ask for.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)

I would imagine that acquiring Quintana and moving McCutchen are mutually exclusive. If the former occurs, it's because they've moved away from the latter.

From the sense I'm getting from the blog/chat/tweet universe, it sounds like the industry is souring a bit on Glasnow. Seems like it now looks that he may not be able to develop enough command to stock as a starter.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
Only for Chuck Garfien, I hope they get Kevin Newman. He was born the day Robin Ventura charged Nolan Ryan. 8/4/93

The only explanation I can think of is that Kevin Newman is a familiar that spawned from Robin's shame and despair. It seems clear that his destiny is to join the Sox and single-handedly serve the Rangers a devastating playoff defeat as an increasingly infirm Ryan watches from a luxury suite.

Meadows, Bell and Glasnow are all ridiculously exciting talents. Who was asking about Kris Bryant type hitters? There's two of them in the Pirates system. The fact that the Pirtaes have three of these types of prospects as opposed to the Yankees one (Torres) and the Astros none (though I think Tucker is on the path) is encouraging. They can afford to lose one of those guys to get Quintana and the Sox would fall over for any three of them. Meadows is my favorite, but Bell and Glasnow are both worthy centerpieces.

Could you imagine the future of Sox pitching if they acquired Glasnow? A 2019 rotation of Rodon, Giolito, Glasnow, Lopez and Kopech could be aces wild. That's possibly 4 of the top 5 pitching prospects currently in the game.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
The only explanation I can think of is that Kevin Newman is a familiar that spawned from Robin's shame and despair. It seems clear that his destiny is to join the Sox and single-handedly serve the Rangers a devastating playoff defeat as an increasingly infirm Ryan watches from a luxury suite.

Meadows, Glasnow, Bell, Newman, Keller, Hayes, Craig, Diaz...there is definitely a potential deal to be made here out of those players

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
I would imagine that acquiring Quintana and moving McCutchen are mutually exclusive. If the former occurs, it's because they've moved away from the latter.

From the sense I'm getting from the blog/chat/tweet universe, it sounds like the industry is souring a bit on Glasnow. Seems like it now looks that he may not be able to develop enough command to stock as a starter.

I noticed Glasnow walked a ton of hitters last year so I guess it would come down to how the Sox feel about Glasnow and if there's anything they can do to help his control issues.

I prefer something along the lines of Meadows, Newman, Keller and Diaz. What do ya think, too much, not enough or am I just crazy?

This deal makes a ton of sense for the Pirates, even at a steep cost. If their playoff chances start going south within 2 years or so, and provided Quintana is still pitches as he does now, they can still flip him again for an awesome return to some other team to help offset the prospects they lost to acquire him in the first place.

Edited by South Sider