Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Username @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
Looks like this rumbunter account has "broken" some minor stuff before, so could be legit.

One of the follow up tweets indicatws Hahn contacted Huntington with offers from other teams, to see if they'll counter: https://twitter.com/rumbunter/status/818247503300665345

Would seem to indicate things are heating up. Also have to think dialogue on a weekend means something could happen soon.

If the recent Astros rumors are true that they offered the Sox the Archer package for Q then what Rumbunter says makes sense. The Astros may have raised the stakes with their recent offer.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 11:55 PM)
If the recent Astros rumors are true that they offered the Sox the Archer package for Q then what Rumbunter says makes sense. The Astros may have raised the stakes with their recent offer.

Interesting, where's the Astros rumor coming from? I saw that sportsmockery thing but I don't trust that guy haha. I know they're back heavily involved, just haven't seen sources on the package.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)

Perhaps

I see the pirates holding meadows and bell off the table, and being willing to include one of Glasnow or Keller, but not both. Everyone else in their farm is fair game.

Houston reportedly offered martens, tucker and Paulino for archer and were turned down.

Yankees are likely checking in to gauge the price, but won't move top tier guys.

Sox need at least three top tier and one or two more decent prospects to get a deal done

QUOTE (Username @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 11:00 PM)
Interesting, where's the Astros rumor coming from? I saw that sportsmockery thing but I don't trust that guy haha. I know they're back heavily involved, just haven't seen sources on the package.

I forget where I read it to be honest but it wasn't sports mockery. One rumor was Houston offered Martes, Tucker, Paulino and another said they offered the Astros top three prospects ++. Just rumors but somewhere in there is a little truth.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 11:00 PM)
Perhaps

I see the pirates holding meadows and bell off the table, and being willing to include one of Glasnow or Keller, but not both. Everyone else in their farm is fair game.

Houston reportedly offered martens, tucker and Paulino for archer and were turned down.

Yankees are likely checking in to gauge the price, but won't move top tier guys.

Sox need at least three top tier and one or two more decent prospects to get a deal done

If the Pirates are keeping Meadows and Bell along with one of Glasnow/Keller off the table then I hope the Sox tell them to find pitching elsewhere. The Astros can easily offer better hitters than Newman, Hayes, Sanchez and they have more pitching talent to offer than Pitt too.

Sounds like reasonable deals might be starting to hit the table. Rick's asking if Huntington would be willing to counteroffer. I'm probably going to read too much into it, but that might mean that RH expects a strong offer from another team (Houston?) soon. He wants to see if the Pirates want a phone call with an opportunity to counter when the offer is presented. Hopefully they said yes. bmags may be right, a deal could be done this week. Perhaps even tomorrow. I wonder if we see the Quintanatwitterverse explode tomorrow with rumors flying again.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
I forget where I read it to be honest but it wasn't sports mockery. One rumor was Houston offered Martes, Tucker, Paulino and another said they offered the Astros top three prospects ++. Just rumors but somewhere in there is a little truth.

Peter Gammons:

Luhnow went to Tampa, from what I’m told, and said alright this is what we’ll give you for Chris Archer. We’ll give you Tucker. We’ll give you Martes. We’ll give you David Paulino, who is their second best pitching prospect. We’ll give you two more prospects for Archer and Tampa Bay, which kinda surprised me, said ‘no we need more than that if we’re going to trade Chris Archer.’

https://www.google.com/amp/www.draysbay.com...-houston-astros

Talking a little with that Pirates blog tweeter, I tweeted him a counter offer of....

Glasnow, Keller, Newman, Hayes, and Diaz and he replied that he would be ok with that deal. As Sox fans, I think that would be a killer deal for us that allows them to keep Meadows and Bell.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:11 AM)
Talking a little with that Pirates blog tweeter, I tweeted him a counter offer of....

Glasnow, Keller, Newman, Hayes, and Diaz and he replied that he would be ok with that deal. As Sox fans, I think that would be a killer deal for us that allows them to keep Meadows and Bell.

I'd be fine with that.

If Newman sticks, Moncada to CF.

The pitching Death Star gets death-ier

Take your pick:

Glasnow, Keller, Newman, Hayes, and Diaz

Or

Tucker, Martes, Paulino, Davis, and Stubbs

Pirates, but its close. What edges it for the Pirates is the lower risk profile on Newman (not that I dont like Tucker) and the lack of Franklin Perez from the Astros, who to me is the most attractive arm in their system from the White Sox perspective.

At first I find it hard to believe the Pirates would trade Keller and Glasnow but thinking of it again - I could see it. As someone else mentioned they get to keep both Bell and Meadows while adding a ace / high end two in Q for 4 years at bargain basement pricing.

Please be the week. Please.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:44 AM)
If the Sox were able to get both Glasnow and Keller, they'd be so stacked with pitching that I'd hope they'd flip a couple to Colorado for Brendan Rodgers.

I would hope they let them all attempt to pan out, since half of them won't, then trade one of the ones that works out for a good young hitter.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 01:45 AM)
But seriously.....our AA and AAA staffs could be unreal with the likes of Giolito, Glasnow, Kopech, Keller, Lopez, Dunning, and Fulmer in them. Those are 7 good to great pitching prospects. Makes my pants tight just thinking about it.

Don't forget the following: Hansen, Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Solorzano, Lowry and (hopefully) Hickman

The only big issue is that's a whopping 13 righties, with one lefty in Guerrero.

But, god damn. Just add Rodon to that you'd only need four to pan out. You'd have to trade some of them for hitting at that point.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:11 AM)
Don't forget the following: Hansen, Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Solorzano, Lowry and (hopefully) Hickman

The only big issue is that's a whopping 13 righties, with one lefty in Guerrero.

But, god damn. Just add Rodon to that you'd only need four to pan out. You'd have to trade some of them for hitting at that point.

Lots of flame throwers in this system

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 11:57 PM)

Thanks hi8is, i knew i had read something somewhere.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
Take your pick:

Glasnow, Keller, Newman, Hayes, and Diaz

Or

Tucker, Martes, Paulino, Davis, and Stubbs

I'd take the Astros package, though I'd prefer Whitley over Paulino.

If the Sox were able to get both Glasnow and Keller, they'd be so stacked with pitching that I'd hope they'd flip a couple to Colorado for Brendan Rodgers.

Not sure the Rockies would. And any team with pitching prospect depth (Pit to name one) could just trade for Rodgers if they wanted to.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 07:01 AM)
Let me gets this straight......Astros value Archer over Q, correct?

It's very possible, but there's no way of knowing. We have no idea of what the Sox are asking for at the moment for Quintana. Let's say it's Bregman++. In that case, they may like Quintana more, but aren't willing to meet our price and decided to make a play for Archer instead with their best package that doesn't include Bregman. All we know for sure (or think we know) is the Astros offered Martes, Tucker, Paulino++ for Archer. If the Astros are willing to give up that package (or a similar one in terms of value) for Quintana, then I'm very optimistic a deal will happen in the next week or so, because we'll finally have some leverage to push teams to make their best offers. Still think this comes down to Houston or Pittsburgh, with the Astros the current favorites IMO.

If that were possible I'd be one happy chewbaca

FWIW, the Pirates are looking to extend Jordy Mercer. This is pretty odd given that he's not very good, has two years of control left, and the Pirates have a high-end prospect who should be ready to take over at SS when Mercer's contract ends. Some speculation by rumbunter that such a move would allow them to include Newman in a Quintana trade. With recent reports that the Pirates are now holding onto McCutchen, I'm keeping hopes alive for a Quintana for Meadows, Newman, + deal.