President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FEMA deleted their website tracking recovery efforts in Puerto Rico, so a WaPo reporter made a tool to keep up to date instead.

FEMA buried updates on Puerto Rico. Here they are.

At some point this week, the Federal Emergency Management Agency removed information from its website documenting how much of the island of Puerto Rico still lacked power or access to drinking water. Instead, our Jenna Johnson reported, the federal agency was relaying only positive information, documenting how many federal workers were on the ground and the extent to which roads had been cleared.

The reason for burying the bad news — fewer than 1 in 8 Puerto Ricans have electricity and barely over half have water — seems pretty obvious. President Trump has faced a great deal of criticism for his handling of the crisis on the island. (A poll released this week found that fewer than a third of Americans thought Trump was handling the Puerto Rico response well.) By conveying information that suggests the island is still struggling, which it very much is, FEMA would only be reinforcing that perception.

The government of Puerto Rico, however, is updating this information at the site Status.pr. There, you’ll see regular updates on a number of metrics, including electricity, water and cellphone coverage. It’s updated regularly — although it is all in Spanish.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Fivethirtyeight has some interesting comparisons of approval ratings between Trump and past Presidents. No surprise, his numbers look disastrous compared to everyone else besides Gerald Ford.

It is funny the guy who rips everyone else and if applicable, never forgets to mention their ratings, has the worst ratings.

Im somewhat shocked that there hasnt been more blow back over the Pence thing.

Personally I find it pretty disrespectful to be invited to someones place of business and then you make a spectacle of yourself. Its like going to a friends house for thanksgiving and then leaving because they served turkey.

Just terrible manners.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)

Personally I find it pretty disrespectful to be invited to someones place of business and then you make a spectacle of yourself. Its like going to a friends house for thanksgiving and then leaving because they served turkey.

Just terrible manners.

Everything gets blown over, because one day later something s***tier happens

Just terrible manners.

Yeah as usual, one side loves it, and the other side thinks it is the worst thing ever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
Yeah as usual, one side loves it, and the other side thinks it is the worst thing ever.

To me it isnt about sides, which is why I brought up something that would be a more "liberal" position. Same way I wouldnt have supported if someone was invited to a Redskins - Giants game and then left because the Redskins didnt change their name before the game started.

Its just common courtesy, it isnt about sides. Maybe its time to stop caring about "sides" and start speaking out against bad behavior.

(edit)

And its not the "worst thing ever" its just way beneath the office of VP. This is a stunt id expect out of a 12 year old.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 03:54 PM)
To me it isnt about sides, which is why I brought up something that would be a more "liberal" position. Same way I wouldnt have supported if someone was invited to a Redskins - Giants game and then left because the Redskins didnt change their name before the game started.

Its just common courtesy, it isnt about sides. Maybe its time to stop caring about "sides" and start speaking out against bad behavior.

(edit)

And its not the "worst thing ever" its just way beneath the office of VP. This is a stunt id expect out of a 12 year old.

lol @ common courtesy. That isn't even reality in politics.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
lol @ common courtesy. That isn't even reality in politics.

It was. While Bush and Obama may have disagreed on politics, they have always had a respectful relationship.

Its fine if you want to normalize this type of s***.

Just terrible manners.

He didn't even go, did he? I thought the picture he posted was from 3 years ago, which is why everyone has been making fun of him for faking the whole thing to provoke outrage

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
It was. While Bush and Obama may have disagreed on politics, they have always had a respectful relationship.

Its fine if you want to normalize this type of s***.

Please. Spare me the indignity of pretending like stupid political stunts haven't been normalized forever now. The fake idealism is nauseating.

Also this is stupid and hypocritical on behalf of the GOP who used to be b**** about things like how much dresses cost and Bill Clinton wagging the dog.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
He didn't even go, did he? I thought the picture he posted was from 3 years ago, which is why everyone has been making fun of him for faking the whole thing to provoke outrage

He went, there is a pic on his twitter page background of him standing for the anthem. The first pic with him and his wife in jerseys was from 2014

And then this Sunday came another peak (or valley), when Colts ownership allowed Pence to make an appearance to create an outcome that could have been presumed from 1,000 miles away: a political statement cooked up by Trump’s administration to stoke his base and once again embarrass the NFL. Pence fulfilled what Trump asked for so many months ago when he urged fans to walk out of games if players knelt during the national anthem. Another self-inflicted injury that will only heighten the political fervor that has swirled around the NFL for weeks. On Sunday night, Jones then said he will not play any Cowboys players who “disrespect the flag.”

As one league source with intimate knowledge of the protests said in disgust on Sunday, “Why were the Colts stupid enough to invite [Pence] after what Trump has been saying about the NFL? They only have themselves to blame.”

Whoever is to blame – and whatever football energy is devoured because of it – the NFL’s endless political brush fire has more tinder to burn this week. Just the latest iteration of the saga that has gone from a speech to tweets to a walkout staged from the highest office in the land.

The cycle moves on another week. Much to the chagrin of the weary executives who are powerless to stop it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfls-protest-feud-...-002025253.html

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)
And then this Sunday came another peak (or valley), when Colts ownership allowed Pence to make an appearance to create an outcome that could have been presumed from 1,000 miles away: a political statement cooked up by Trump's administration to stoke his base and once again embarrass the NFL. Pence fulfilled what Trump asked for so many months ago when he urged fans to walk out of games if players knelt during the national anthem. Another self-inflicted injury that will only heighten the political fervor that has swirled around the NFL for weeks. On Sunday night, Jones then said he will not play any Cowboys players who "disrespect the flag."

As one league source with intimate knowledge of the protests said in disgust on Sunday, "Why were the Colts stupid enough to invite [Pence] after what Trump has been saying about the NFL? They only have themselves to blame."

Whoever is to blame – and whatever football energy is devoured because of it – the NFL's endless political brush fire has more tinder to burn this week. Just the latest iteration of the saga that has gone from a speech to tweets to a walkout staged from the highest office in the land.

The cycle moves on another week. Much to the chagrin of the weary executives who are powerless to stop it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfls-protest-feud-...-002025253.html

Allowed him to make an appearance or asked him to make an appearance? That is two different things with very different connotations. I can't see any professional franchise telling the VP no to going to a game, which is very different than inviting him to a game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 06:56 PM)
Allowed him to make an appearance or asked him to make an appearance? That is two different things with very different connotations. I can't see any professional franchise telling the VP no to going to a game, which is very different than inviting him to a game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they invited him. It was Manning's number retirement ceremony. There was lots of ceremonies.