President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

Don't you naysayers at least LOVE the fact Trump is optimistic and a huge supporter of our great nation?? The man is an American through and through and doesn't apologize like some PC people always do. I mean isn't that SOMETHING to be optimistic about?? Don't you get sick of negativity all the time?

p.s. I realize this is coming from a guy who is so so pessimistic about the Sox. I guess I need to work on that.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 12:01 AM)
Don't you naysayers at least LOVE the fact Trump is optimistic and a huge supporter of our great nation?? The man is an American through and through and doesn't apologize like some PC people always do. I mean isn't that SOMETHING to be optimistic about?? Don't you get sick of negativity all the time?

p.s. I realize this is coming from a guy who is so so pessimistic about the Sox. I guess I need to work on that.

Youre kidding right?

His slogan is "Make America Great Again" he says that things are a disaster in every speech. He is the least optimistic person about the US that I can think of.

mjl.gif

One optimistic speech can't erase 18 months of hate and divisiveness.

The Freedom Caucus has already dug in against tax cuts to pay for ACA basically being another entitlement program.

There's no way that the Senate will allow the State Department to be whacked, and all forms of foreign aid, both military and humanitarian.

Almost all of the child care benefits are flowing towards the Top 10%.

There's no way to pay for infrastructure and the border wall.

How exactly is he going to lower drug prices? Another executive order? Government price controls/ceilings?

What about the remaining students who are left behind on school choice? Ship them to Chicago?

The border adjustment tax is a firm no go for half the GOP, at least.

The GOP governors can't even agree on Medicaid, let alone the rest of ACA.

No plan for ISIS or ISIL except terming it radical Islamic terrorism.

Sounded presidential for one night, but that dog don't hunt on the budget adding up, as Ross Perot would say. Pandering, is what Paul Tsongas would call it back in the day. Hard to imagine the Dems crossing party lines and risking primary challenges. Hard to imagine the GOP again blowing up the budget after GW Bush.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 11:30 PM)
Wait, he hasn't done anything he said he was going to do? How bout:

We've been spending too much overseas and that's going to drastically change. Making preliminary moves like pushing NATO partners to pay more. Check.

Illegals, especially criminal ones will be deported. Check. Already begun.

Countries ripping us off with one sided tariffs are going are going to get them slapped on them too. In the works.

Lots of progress in his first weeks on the job. Mans a workaholic so get ready for a lot steady progress each month.

More investment in infrastructure and military. In the works.

I didn't say he hasn't done anything he said he was going to do. Of course he will make good on some of what he promised, but it will be interesting to see how his major promises will come to fruition. Where is he going to get the money to pay for the infrastructure project? How will he beef up the military without raising the deficit? How will he bring the manufacturing jobs back in the long term with automation?

I don't see how he will broaden his supporters...the only way he gets another term is if he makes things happen and gets enough people to support his actions. Or if the Democrats don't get their crap together.

And to Greg - I could give two s***s about his "optimism."

Edited by New Era on South Side

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 11:30 PM)
Wait, he hasn't done anything he said he was going to do? How bout:

1. We've been spending too much overseas and that's going to drastically change. Making preliminary moves like pushing NATO partners to pay more. Check.

2. Illegals, especially criminal ones will be deported. Check. Already begun.

3. Countries ripping us off with one sided tariffs are going are going to get them slapped on them too. In the works.

4. Lots of progress in his first weeks on the job. Mans a workaholic so get ready for a lot steady progress each month.

5. More investment in infrastructure and military. In the works.

1. Hasn't actually done anything other than say he wants them to pay more, made some vague threats. That's not action, it's a talking point.

2. This is true.

3. Most of the one-sided tariff crap is false to begin with. Rarely does it actually happen, because countries know that trade wars are never won. And again, he's talked a lot about this, but hasn't actually done anything yet (thankfully, since trade wars never end well for either side).

4. The workaholic who got on Obama for playing golf has spent more weekends on vacation in his first month than Obama did in 6 months. OK.

5. His proposed budget does suggest this - true. Though the real work starts when he has to negotiate with Congress. So I'd call this one up in the air.

Other than #2, he hasn't actually achieved anything yet. And on #2, most of the work was already planned under Obama, just maybe adding some oomph. He's accomplished remarkably little so far, which mostly is a good thing.

Like how Trump continues to call the Yemen raid a "great success". A raid that killed 30 civilians, including women and children. People living in one of the poorest countries in the world.

Morally bankrupt.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
Like how Trump continues to call the Yemen raid a "great success". A raid that killed 30 civilians, including women and children. People living in one of the poorest countries in the world.

Morally bankrupt.

He also blames the previous administration for anything that went wrong, since it was already in the works when he took office. That doesn't stop him from taking credit for anything that went right that was in the works before he took office.

One question I have, if he thinks McCain is a loser for being captured, what does he really think about the troops who lose their lives?

I never realized that refusing to apologize makes one an american through and through. And no, im not optimistic about a racist, misogynist, bigot telling everyone that he is going to put his racist, misogynist, bigoted policies in place that are generated to increase the wealth of the top 1% and destroy the middle class.

What i am sick of, is things like bomb threats at jewish centers and shooting of people like that poor Indian man in your general zip code, greg.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
He also blames the previous administration for anything that went wrong, since it was already in the works when he took office. That doesn't stop him from taking credit for anything that went right that was in the works before he took office.

I will say, blaming the previous administration is a tradition and all Presidents do it, true or not. What seems different about Trump is that he then also tries to take CREDIT for things he had no control over. That one is a little more novel.

Not a fan of Rahm, but I am glad he said something. Trump is all talk and tweet. T think he actually likes the violence. It gives him something to point to that is terrible. Fix it then pop off:

"We have repeatedly made specific requests of the administration for greater law enforcement integration and resources; a higher priority placed on federal gun prosecutions; and funds restored toward mentoring and after-school and summer jobs programs that have proven to be positive alternatives for our young people,” Emanuel said in a statement following Trump's address. "Because this is so important, I’ll always be ready with this list whenever the President asks."

Emanuel added, "The better question, I’d suggest, is whether the President cares enough about violence in our city to do more than talk or tweet about it."

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
1. Hasn't actually done anything other than say he wants them to pay more, made some vague threats. That's not action, it's a talking point.

2. This is true.

3. Most of the one-sided tariff crap is false to begin with. Rarely does it actually happen, because countries know that trade wars are never won. And again, he's talked a lot about this, but hasn't actually done anything yet (thankfully, since trade wars never end well for either side).

4. The workaholic who got on Obama for playing golf has spent more weekends on vacation in his first month than Obama did in 6 months. OK.

5. His proposed budget does suggest this - true. Though the real work starts when he has to negotiate with Congress. So I'd call this one up in the air.

Other than #2, he hasn't actually achieved anything yet. And on #2, most of the work was already planned under Obama, just maybe adding some oomph. He's accomplished remarkably little so far, which mostly is a good thing.

General question. Why does anyone think we need greater investment in our military (carve out here - we do need greater investment in the VA and other assistance for veterans, but I don't think that's where Trump is pushing for more money to go)? We already spend more on the military by a massive amount than does the rest of the world.

I know that Trump has promised a large influx of cash to the military. But why does anyone think this is necessary?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)

2. This is true.

Most of it can't be down in less then two months, it takes time. At least he is making steps towards doing the big things he talked about in his campaign.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Most of it can't be down in less then two months, it takes time. At least he is making steps towards doing the big things he talked about in his campaign.

So it went from most productive president in first 2 months to he's still talking about it.

:lol:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
I will say, blaming the previous administration is a tradition and all Presidents do it, true or not. What seems different about Trump is that he then also tries to take CREDIT for things he had no control over. That one is a little more novel.

Well, but blaming the prior administration is sometimes real. Like, for instance, the economy doesn't restart when a new President is in power. Wars overseas don't magically end when a new administration comes to power. It's one thing to acknowledge economic and foreign policy issues that started on someone else's watch (Trump didn't create the current mess in Syria, obviously). It's another thing entirely to blame the prior administration for a raid that the current administration authorized.

So one of the few times that Trump reads carefully crafted words from a group of advisors and all of a sudden we're supposed to be impressed? What I heard last night does not reflect what this man thinks and speaks when he's off the cuff, using his own words. You can't erase a long history of misogyny, bigotry, and xenophobia after reading a teleprompter for an hour.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
General question. Why does anyone think we need greater investment in our military (carve out here - we do need greater investment in the VA and other assistance for veterans, but I don't think that's where Trump is pushing for more money to go)? We already spend more on the military by a massive amount than does the rest of the world.

I know that Trump has promised a large influx of cash to the military. But why does anyone think this is necessary?

I believe Trump is about to go to war for oil in Iraq and Iran because, well, that is what he has talked about many times. Despite being told it is a war crime.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)

Morally bankrupt.

It also failed to achieve it's objective. Dead US military, scores of dead civilians including an 8 year old US citizen, lost equipment, and lost future cooperation with Yemen. In pretty much every possible way, the raid was a failure.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)

Well I wasn't saying it was necessary - in fact I don't believe it is. We are already so ridiculously ahead of the rest of the world, I use the same excuse I see people hurl at schools: throwing more money at it doesn't fix problems.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)

Then don't claim he's achieved much. He hasn't, which isn't a surprise, because as you said it's hard to do in the short run. He's been almost entirely talk so far. No material steps have been made in most of those cases, and even the immigration stuff has been fits and starts and some huge messes along the way.

The thing about the speech is he provided no guidance on his preference for health care, so the debate goes on. The immigration stuff could be interesting, but then why was the gang of 8 bill untenable? The gang of 8 bill had the compromise of more border security + fencing, points based immigration and path to citizenship. That got killed from the right. I guess it's good now?

What we do know from the speech is he views violence as a political exploitation tool exclusively, and doesn't care to fix it. Which is honestly probably better than him trying to fix it.

Obama deported 2.5 illegal aliens under his watch, mostly from Mexico. It doesn't fit liberal talking liberal talking points, though.

So other than VOICE, nothing new from Trump yet, other than perhaps expanding or threatening to the broader categories of illegals (like the mother in Arizona who self-reported) that have felony/criminal records to nearly everyone. Of course, then he turned around to "negotiate" back to the compromise of allowing many of those currently threatened to get green cards. So who really knows? Will the border wall be more fencing and an actual wall in just a few places? Probably.

And where's the categorical protection/reporting mechanism for immigrants/refugees/Muslims/Jewish centers harmed or threatened by whites...or domestic terrorists?

Still nothing close to actual legislation coming down the pike and we're nearly to the halfway point of the first 100 days.

Way to throw Mattis and the "amazing" generals under the bus on the Yemeni raid...as well. Still completely refuses to shoulder responsibility for legitimate criticisms.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
The thing about the speech is he provided no guidance on his preference for health care, so the debate goes on. The immigration stuff could be interesting, but then why was the gang of 8 bill untenable? The gang of 8 bill had the compromise of more border security + fencing, points based immigration and path to citizenship. That got killed from the right. I guess it's good now?

What we do know from the speech is he views violence as a political exploitation tool exclusively, and doesn't care to fix it. Which is honestly probably better than him trying to fix it.

Nicholas Kristof‏Verified account

@NickKristof

Notice how Trump is promising jobs, new infrastructures, etc? He always pledges outcomes, never the policies to achieve them. He's Santa.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
True, but at least give him credit for one good night. As one of the most negative people on here, even I get sick of negativity every so often. Please read Van Jones' take on Trump. He did a fine job last night and though I think he's still pretty evil, I can hope, can't I? Hope that things get better. Like I said before, he loves America. If he somehow turns around the economy, I'd be very happy. Remember, I was a Bernie supporter. But nooooo ... it was Hillary's right to be the nominee and the DNC wouldn't give Bernie a shot.

I HOPE Trump is the answer! USA! USA!!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/01/politics/van...nntv/index.html

And for those who want to dream big, Oprah in 2020??

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/01/politics/opr...il_bottommedium

I thought you didn't like sloppy joes and that they made you ill.