2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like AL has this one safely in hand at the moment...

Oklahoma had plenty of chances, their offense just couldn't get it done in crunch time.

But Riley's play calling didn't always go to form.

Late in the game, there were two critical calls that didn't work.

First, on third-and-2 from the OU 45 with 29 seconds left in regulation, the Sooners designed a wheel route to Rodney Anderson. That pass fell well incomplete and the Sooners were forced to punt and play for overtime instead of challenging for a potential game-winning field goal. Oklahoma still had one timeout remaining.

Then in overtime, once again with third-and-2, the play call was an end-around to senior receiver Jordan Smallwood.

Smallwood had scored touchdowns against Ohio State and Kansas on 3-yard plays earlier in the season but it didn't work this time, as Bulldogs' all-everything linebacker Roquan Smith finished off Smallwood short of the first-down marker and the Sooners had to settle for a game-tying field goal that sent the game into a second overtime.

dailyoklahoman.com

Edited by caulfield12

If Venables was defensive coordinator instead of Mike Stoops....they would have at least been respectable.

Hopefully Riley at age 34 learned never to squib kick right before halftime ever again, and never to get so conservative with a national title shot like that in your grasp. Hard to understand what he was thinking, unless Mayfield wasn’t playing at 100% after taking that hit in the third quarter.

At least OU finally showed up in a game with national title implications. The last time was all the way back in Stoops’ second year, with Heupel and Roy Williams leading the way against FSU and Weinke. Just thought we’d be there every year when Adrian Peterson showed up on campus. The fact is that they haven’t had a truly balanced team (equal parts offense and defense) in nearly two decades. But that first 29:54 was a thing of beauty, at least.

My #1 team, University of Iowa, has ZERO chance to ever play for a national championship. 2015 was the closest they will ever get...and they would have been smoked anyway like MSU was. I would say it’s actually less than zero with Frost at Nebraska now and an outdated offense that would take half a season to do what OU does in a half.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 09:11 AM)
If Venables was defensive coordinator instead of Mike Stoops....they would have at least been respectable.

Hopefully Riley at age 34 learned never to squib kick right before halftime ever again, and never to get so conservative with a national title shot like that in your grasp. Hard to understand what he was thinking, unless Mayfield wasn’t playing at 100% after taking that hit in the third quarter.

At least OU finally showed up in a game with national title implications. The last time was all the way back in Stoops’ second year, with Heupel and Roy Williams leading the way against FSU and Weinke. Just thought we’d be there every year when Adrian Peterson showed up on campus. The fact is that they haven’t had a truly balanced team (equal parts offense and defense) in nearly two decades. But that first 29:54 was a thing of beauty, at least.

My #1 team, University of Iowa, has ZERO chance to ever play for a national championship. 2015 was the closest they will ever get...and they would have been smoked anyway like MSU was. I would say it’s actually less than zero with Frost at Nebraska now and an outdated offense that would take half a season to do what OU does in a half.

This is how I have felt about Michigan's offense all year and then watching that GA/OK game was like walking out of a dark room and looking into the sun.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 09:23 AM)
This is how I have felt about Michigan's offense all year and then watching that GA/OK game was like walking out of a dark room and looking into the sun.

The weird thing is how a relatively one dimensional team like Iowa could dominate Ohio State and Penn State for large stretches yet still lose to Purdue at home.

Iowa has run the same exact offense (run on first and second down, jailbreak screen) for the entire Ferentz Era. I almost wish at this point he’d take his son and finally go back to the NFL.

Then I remember what happened to Nebraska football...or Iowa basketball when Steve Alford was brought in to replace Dr. Tom Davis and lead them to a championship. Ugh.

We’d even be happy to take back Oliver Martin! Every great Iowa athlete ends up playing for Michigan in football or Roy Williams in basketball, lol. Iowa has had some really good tight ends, but our last NFL running backs were Shonn Greene and Tavian Banks/Sedrick Shaw...and receivers, you have to go back to Tim Dwight and Danan Hughes. So jealous to watch all that offensive firepower on one team.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 10:04 AM)
The weird thing is how a relatively one dimensional team like Iowa could dominate Ohio State and Penn State for large stretches yet still lose to Purdue at home.

Iowa has run the same exact offense (run on first and second down, jailbreak screen) for the entire Ferentz Era. I almost wish at this point he’d take his son and finally go back to the NFL.

Then I remember what happened to Nebraska football...or Iowa basketball when Steve Alford was brought in to replace Dr. Tom Davis and lead them to a championship. Ugh.

We’d even be happy to take back Oliver Martin! Every great Iowa athlete ends up playing for Michigan in football or Roy Williams in basketball, lol. Iowa has had some really good tight ends, but our last NFL running backs were Shonn Greene and Tavian Banks/Sedrick Shaw...and receivers, you have to go back to Tim Dwight and Danan Hughes. So jealous to watch all that offensive firepower on one team.

Iowa broke all tendencies against OSU at home and completely blew up the defensive game plan. You cannot do that every game because then they become your actual tendencies. The coaching ability is clearly there, I just wonder how much its controlled by KF.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 7, 2018 -> 08:43 PM)
I hope you Northwestern people enjoy your new RB coach.

Seemed like only a minor upgrade for him school wise, must’ve been a big pay increase? Fitz did well though, hate saying that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 10:00 PM)
Seemed like only a minor upgrade for him school wise, must’ve been a big pay increase? Fitz did well though, hate saying that.

Probably attractive because Fitz is unlikely to ever leave and rarely changes assistants.

Am I wrong in thinking that was one helluva football game? As somebody with no ties to either team and no hatred for either school I thought it was a compelling comeback victory.

Let's rate ourselves as sports fans, what type we are.

When the game ended did you think: "What a choke job by Georgia?"

Or "What a comeback victory by Alabama?"

I chose the latter. I really did see a team completely wear out another team. Alabama even overcame the missed FG. It seemed like Alabama was playing a high school team the latter portions of the game. Georgia has nothing going offensively or defensively during a long long period of time that constituted the comeback.

Kudos to Bama.