White Sox Request Waivers on Lawrie

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
Scott Merkin @scottmerkin

now

White Sox request waivers on Brett Lawrie

Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

31s

#WhiteSox have requested waivers on Brett Lawrie for purpose of granting him his unconditional release.

Nice. Saladino at second and Garcia as backup IF (as of now)?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Well, they won't have to pay him much. Maybe it wasn't the orthotics.

Yeah I have a feeling this guy isn't close to getting back on a field.

How much do they owe him? What did the Sox have to pay Viciedo after he was released after being tendered a contract, like a quarter of the amount?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
Yeah I have a feeling this guy isn't close to getting back on a field.

How much do they owe him? What did the Sox have to pay Viciedo after he was released after being tendered a contract, like a quarter of the amount?

It's some percentage that goes up the closer you get to opening day. So it's probably 20-25%. Enough for Lawrie to pay the bills for sure, but peanuts for the team.

It also opens up a spot on the 40, but Soto still needs to be added, so who knows if something is immanent there.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
It's some percentage that goes up the closer you get to opening day. So it's probably 20-25%. Enough for Lawrie to pay the bills for sure, but peanuts for the team.

It also opens up a spot on the 40, but Soto still needs to be added, so who knows if something is immanent there.

MLBtr article said that they are on the hook for 1/6 of his salary- about $574k.

Also as someone else said, Bourjos is on a minor league deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

The reason to keep him around was to flip him. If he's still dealing with the leg problems, you aren't going to be able to flip him so dump him. It makes a lot of sense. I like how Lawrie plays, and think the Sox could use a guy like him, but if he can't stay on the field, he can't help anyway.

I hope for his sake, he can get healthy and stay healthy, and play up to his potential somewhere else. He's actually younger than Saladino.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
The reason to keep him around was to flip him. If he's still dealing with the leg problems, you aren't going to be able to flip him so dump him. It makes a lot of sense. I like how Lawrie plays, and think the Sox could use a guy like him, but if he can't stay on the field, he can't help anyway.

I hope for his sake, he can get healthy and stay healthy, and play up to his potential somewhere else. He's actually younger than Saladino.

And even then, Lawrie doesn't really have a ton of upside so what could you really get for him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
And even then, Lawrie doesn't really have a ton of upside so what could you really get for him.

Most likely.

They probably would have non tendered him IMO had they thought Frazier would still be here. I think he was the plan at 3B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
Most likely.

They probably would have non tendered him IMO had they thought Frazier would still be here. I think he was the plan at 3B.

Right, I think they thought he'd be our 3rd baseman to start year.

That said, I don't like the look of twice having picked up the option on players then released them in spring training when it's less likely they can find an ML role, aside from the cash issues.

I know Lawrie has an injury again, still wish it didn't work out this way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
What was the huge loss for Lawrie?

Lawrie was one acquisition that actually gave us exactly what you'd expect. An injury shortened .250/310/.720 slashline with fine defense.