World Baseball Classic

BigHurt3515

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puerto Rico beat USA last night 6-5. Stroman gave up 4 runs in the 1st inning; Arenado made a huge error later in the game.

Robertson gave up a long strike to Beltran, but had a 1-2-3 inning, as did Jones.

The final 4 are Netherlands, Japan, Puerto Rico, and the winner of USA and Dominican Republic tonight.

I can't imagine any other team is as harmed by non-participation as Team USA. In particular, our pitching staff seems bafflingly bad. Here are non-participating Americans listed by 2016 WAR:

1. Clayton Kershaw

2. Noah Syndergaard

3. Max Scherzer

4. Rick Porcello

5. Justin Verlander

6. Chris Sale

7. Corey Kluber

8. Madison Bumgarner

9. David Price

10. Kyle Hendricks

11. Jon Lester

12. Jake Arrieta

13. Jon Gray

and then you finally get to the first American WBC participant, Stroman.

And then we can look at relievers specifically:

We do have the best, Andrew Miller. Yay! And then...

1. Addison Reed (had to double take at that one)

2. Zach Britton

3. Tyler Thornburg

4. Will Harris

5. Mark Melancon

and then we get to Nate Jones and after that, about 10 more until you get to Luke Gregerson.

Of course the point isn't that 2016 WAR should be the main criterion for selection, but we're just not anywhere close to assembling our best.

And let's think about some of the position players missing:

1. Mike Trout

2. Kris Bryant

3. Mookie Betts

4. Josh Donaldson

5. Corey Seager

6. Adam Eaton

7. Brian Dozier

and then Ian Kinsler and Brandon Crawford, a few spots and you get Murphy and Arenado.

The outfield stands out, though—why does Team USA have Christian Yelich batting 3rd? McCutchen probably shouldn't be getting the time, but I understand how some may not be inclined to penalize him as much for last year when he had been so sensational for years beforehand.

Either way, I find it galling that the US has the world's two best players (Trout and Kershaw) and neither is out there. They have their reasons that are perfectly rational, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

It's also bad for the tournament. On one hand, nobody will like it around the world if the US wins every time...it has to be competitive. But few would deny that the US has the most talent in the world, so it delegitimizes the tournament if Team USA does poorly each time, as it has pre-2017.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 19, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)
I can't imagine any other team is as harmed by non-participation as Team USA. In particular, our pitching staff seems bafflingly bad. Here are non-participating Americans listed by 2016 WAR:

1. Clayton Kershaw

2. Noah Syndergaard

3. Max Scherzer

4. Rick Porcello

5. Justin Verlander

6. Chris Sale

7. Corey Kluber

8. Madison Bumgarner

9. David Price

10. Kyle Hendricks

11. Jon Lester

12. Jake Arrieta

13. Jon Gray

2. Zach Britton

3. Tyler Thornburg

4. Will Harris

5. Mark Melancon

and then we get to Nate Jones and after that, about 10 more until you get to Luke Gregerson.

Of course the point isn't that 2016 WAR should be the main criterion for selection, but we're just not anywhere close to assembling our best.

1. Mike Trout

2. Kris Bryant

3. Mookie Betts

4. Josh Donaldson

5. Corey Seager

6. Adam Eaton

7. Brian Dozier

and then Ian Kinsler and Brandon Crawford, a few spots and you get Murphy and Arenado.

The outfield stands out, though—why does Team USA have Christian Yelich batting 3rd? McCutchen probably shouldn't be getting the time, but I understand how some may not be inclined to penalize him as much for last year when he had been so sensational for years beforehand.

Either way, I find it galling that the US has the world's two best players (Trout and Kershaw) and neither is out there. They have their reasons that are perfectly rational, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

It's also bad for the tournament. On one hand, nobody will like it around the world if the US wins every time...it has to be competitive. But few would deny that the US has the most talent in the world, so it delegitimizes the tournament if Team USA does poorly each time, as it has pre-2017.

This is really one of the more frustrating things about it. I understand why players don't go, but it would be amazing to actually put out the top teams.

I f***ing love the WBC.

I've been following the NPB ever since Balentien broke the HR record. I actually went over their and saw three games last September. Tsutsugoh hit 3 homers in the two BayStars games we saw. I bought a shirsey. Jose Lopez also hit a couple, lol.

As fans, they simply have WAY more fun than we do at games.

Also, look up Brandon Laird's stats for Hokkaido. Ha

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 19, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)

1. Clayton Kershaw

2. Noah Syndergaard

3. Max Scherzer

4. Rick Porcello

5. Justin Verlander

6. Chris Sale

7. Corey Kluber

8. Madison Bumgarner

9. David Price

10. Kyle Hendricks

11. Jon Lester

12. Jake Arrieta

13. Jon Gray

2. Zach Britton

3. Tyler Thornburg

4. Will Harris

5. Mark Melancon

1. Mike Trout

2. Kris Bryant

3. Mookie Betts

4. Josh Donaldson

5. Corey Seager

6. Adam Eaton

7. Brian Dozier

You are, of course, correct in that assumption. But Japan is hit really hard too, if only on the pitching side. Sugano and Ishikawa are really legit, and Norimoto probably has the best raw stuff outside of Otani, but they're missing:

1. Yu Darvish

2. Shoehei Otani

3. Masahiro Tanaka

4. Kenta Maeda

5. Chihiro Kaneko

6. Hisashi Iwakuma

On the position side, though, they're absolutely stacked. Those are all the best hitters and they're mostly high-end defenders too.

I've been following Tetsudo Yamada for a few years (because the Swallows were the team I paid attention too because Balentien), just praying he would get posted and the Sox would pounce. Now that he's moved to second base (used to be SS) and we got Moncada, though, I no longer think we'd get him. Unfortunately.