Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down

southsider2k5

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I would hope if that happens, that they would keep him in the minors for what, 2 weeks, so he can gain the extra year of control.

Yup, it would be 100% unacceptable to not just wait the two or so weeks it would take to ensure an extra year of control. Plus it gives us another few weeks to evaluate guys who can't be sent down. I have full confidence Burdi won't be up late April at the earliest.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I would hope if that happens, that they would keep him in the minors for what, 2 weeks, so he can gain the extra year of control.

True. He simply may be left in camp to get a long look, because Robertson could definitely be gone soon.

The Charlotte Shuttle is going to be something this year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
But at this point, who would you rather have? Pretty easy decision in my opinion.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
I'll take Ynoa over Covey no doubt.

I honestly haven't watch spring games enough to know on Covey. That's partly why I was saying I was on the fence. I only have what I researched when he was acquired, and a small glimpse from one ST game.

As SS2K5 said, you need to lean on your staff to tell you if what they are seeing - results aside - from Covey is positive enough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
I find it very interesting that Burdi still hasn't been sent out, and that he wasn't sent out the day that the rest of the top group was sent out, including someone like Fulmer. I wonder if he has a shot?

I wonder if they are still evaluating him as a SP option down the road? They talked about his ability to start after drafting him, then put him on a fast track to the majors via the bullpen to try and help the team last season. But now with the organization taking a step back and having the ability to extend his development, I wonder if they are thinking about trying him in the rotation somewhere this year and evaluating whether or not he has a shot and what he needs to work on to be able to start.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
I wonder if they are still evaluating him as a SP option down the road? They talked about his ability to start after drafting him, then put him on a fast track to the majors via the bullpen to try and help the team last season. But now with the organization taking a step back and having the ability to extend his development, I wonder if they are thinking about trying him in the rotation somewhere this year and evaluating whether or not he has a shot and what he needs to work on to be able to start.

I believe Hostetler said he isn't going to be a starter.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
Honestly I'd rather see Nicky Delmonico make it over Davidson.

May as well give Davidson a shot. Delmonico has options, and he'll likely get a shot at some point. We'll likely lose Davidson if he does not break camp with the Sox, and while that may not be a huge loss, they may as well give him a look. Nothing to lose, something to gain.

Delmonico will still be there.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
May as well give Davidson a shot. Delmonico has options, and he'll likely get a shot at some point. We'll likely lose Davidson if he does not break camp with the Sox, and while that may not be a huge loss, they may as well give him a look. Nothing to lose, something to gain.

Delmonico will still be there.

Totally agree. I think Delmonico (and Hayes even) has more potential, but might as well play out Davidson first.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)

I wish they would, but they sound like they are using him as reliever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
I find it very interesting that Burdi still hasn't been sent out, and that he wasn't sent out the day that the rest of the top group was sent out, including someone like Fulmer. I wonder if he has a shot?

Considering two of our RP are still in the WBC, we need the pitching for spring training. Doesn't surprise me he is still here.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
Considering two of our RP are still in the WBC, we need the pitching for spring training. Doesn't surprise me he is still here.

But being sent down doesn't mean you can't appear in a spring training game for the MLB team. Look at the spring stats and the random names on the lists that weren't even invited.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
The rangers game? I was at that game as well and those were my thoughts. He is as AAAA vanilla as they come.

Dude has no plus secondary pitches and a meh fastball. Not impressed.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 22, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
But being sent down doesn't mean you can't appear in a spring training game for the MLB team. Look at the spring stats and the random names on the lists that weren't even invited.

Then why does it really matter if he is still there or not?

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
Rob Young @RobertHYoung

now

Hahn stopped short of assigning Michael Kopech to Winston-Salem, saying that Kopech has made "awfully good case" to start in AA Birmingham

Not much harm in having him start the season in Winston-Salem. You can always promote him to AA in a few months.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 23, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
Not much harm in having him start the season in Winston-Salem. You can always promote him to AA in a few months.

I really don't think high A hitters can challenge him. It will be too easy to just rely on his heater. There are guys in AA that can force him to throw it for a strike (and turn it around when he does) and to throw his offspeed stuff for strikes.

Personally I'd just start him in AA. He seems like he's ready to run.