Jacob May

kwill

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
I think most people just want another interesting player to follow this year on the big league club.

The point being, take away games that don't count, he's been far less interesting. Maybe he figured something out, or maybe he will be back in Charlotte quickly, but it isn't like they have a ton of better options. Maybe one of May, Engel and perhaps Leury will step up and show they belong in Chicago. They probably all will be flying a lot between the cities this summer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
The point being, take away games that don't count, he's been far less interesting. Maybe he figured something out, or maybe he will be back in Charlotte quickly, but it isn't like they have a ton of better options. Maybe one of May, Engel and perhaps Leury will step up and show they belong in Chicago. They probably all will be flying a lot between the cities this summer.

One thing here, the most likely young contributors we will see this year are pitchers. I'm glad all of the lower level prospects we are trying out in outfield are defensive studs or fast. I would want them to have as good of a defense as possible. Melky wasn't terrible last year but Avi needs to be hidden and having all of these super fast good CF types is the rebuilding with longshots I prefer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
One thing here, the most likely young contributors we will see this year are pitchers. I'm glad all of the lower level prospects we are trying out in outfield are defensive studs or fast. I would want them to have as good of a defense as possible. Melky wasn't terrible last year but Avi needs to be hidden and having all of these super fast good CF types is the rebuilding with longshots I prefer.

This is the one thing that is a positive about May. He is supposed to be able to go get the ball.

I think it's pretty cool that he is related to Carlos May and also Lee May. Carlos played for the Sox in the Chuck Tanner years and wasn't a bad ballplayer and might've done better if part of his thumb wasn't blown off by a mortar .

If May can succeed along with Anderson and Moncada we could have a new era Go Go White Sox ,thrilling fans with speed, pitching and defense. Ok yea I like to look at best case scenario.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
He is basically Carlos Sanchez with a lower batting average who plays CF instead of 2B.

FWIW, Carlos Sanchez has a much better offensive track record as a minor leaguer than May. With that said, I still don't think all hope is lost for Sanchez as a non-terrible hitter.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 10:23 PM)
FWIW, Carlos Sanchez has a much better offensive track record as a minor leaguer than May. With that said, I still don't think all hope is lost for Sanchez as a non-terrible hitter.

Yeah that was kind of my point. Sanchez is thought of as a low ceiling player and kind of an afterthought. May has significantly under preformed him. They both are supposed to be very good defenders, and not much power or OBP. Sanchez can at least get his hits.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
Yeah that was kind of my point. Sanchez is thought of as a low ceiling player and kind of an afterthought. May has significantly under preformed him. They both are supposed to be very good defenders, and not much power or OBP. Sanchez can at least get his hits.

Sanchez and May are the type of guys that would not make a contending teams 25 man roster

Sox are rebuilding so it doesn't really matter, might as well give them a shot

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
Sanchez and May are the type of guys that would not make a contending teams 25 man roster

Sox are rebuilding so it doesn't really matter, might as well give them a shot

I could see both guys as bench players. They both play solid defense in premium positions. But yeah, if you have them as starters, you are actively looking to improve those positions.

I think both have upsides as MLB regulars, the question is just what that floor is and how likely they are to get to their ceiling. Sanchez has a higher floor I'd say given that he's been a productive player in AAA. On the other hand, there's a little more mystery with May since he's arguably been rushed and has faced some injuries that an optimist might say have hidden his true potential.