Opening Day 4/4/2017 - White Sox vs Tigers

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 05:51 PM)
Can we agree on one thing? Jose Abreu will never be acquired by another team to be a 1B, so there's no point in him being a 1B here anymore. It's time to DH every single game and not put more stress on pitchers than there already is.

Agreed. Sucks we can't trade him to an NL team, but he's a DH.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
Not many teams...

Which is the whole point of the exercise.

I mean it's not like they were beating a lot of teams with the Adam Dunn's, Austin Jackson's, Tyler Flower's, Alejandro de Aza's and Dylan Alexrod's of the world were they?

Mark

Yes but if properly managed we at least had a chance those seasons. On paper our pitching staff has looked lights out before this season and our lineup potentially had postseason written all over it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 10:47 PM)
So we're a 59 to 63 win team as currently constructed, but with a solid DH & CF we'd be in the thick of things? I pray to god you're a troll and not the alternative, because otherwise I'd feel bad for s***ting on you constantly.

This was my opinion TODAY after seeing the team on the field. Do u really want me to go through my past post on how we might have been good? 1B - Abreu.2B-Saladino (Moncada next month, Saladino a super sub). SS-Tim. 3B-Frazier. All star infield on paper. C - Free agent. DH - Free agent. OF - Melky, Avi in right, free agent. Pitching: Add a bullpen piece via minor trade, open season with one of the Washington guys in the majors, etc.

But after seeing what we have on the field, yuck.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
I watched the first few innings to see everybody bat once at least and see Q get hammered.

--Pathetic crowd as expected. That's all on management.

Get used to it.

-- This team is going to lose so many games it'll make our heads spin. How the hell is Hawk going to broadcast road games for gawd sakes? He's used to a team on paper that is a contender.

He said this yesterday himself. Who gives a f*** about Hawk anyway?

-- I would assume this would be a great season for folks to get great seats on stubhub once the weather turns and spread out and enjoy the food of the Cell. There won't be any fans getting in your way in the aisles, etc., for years to come. Absolutely no reason to follow any of these players except Anderson.

Which is why other posters continue to tell you to pay the vast majority of your attention to Charlotte and Birmingham.

Have we ever had a worse starting rotation on paper? Ever a worse defense on paper? Blah team speed. Wow. I stick with 59-63 wins max. Maybe less. Who the hell are we going to beat with this pitching staff and this offense? And this defense?

Hopefully no one

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
Yes but if properly managed we at least had a chance those seasons. On paper our pitching staff has looked lights out before this season and our lineup potentially had postseason written all over it.

This was my opinion TODAY after seeing the team on the field. Do u really want me to go through my past post on how we might have been good? 1B - Abreu.2B-Saladino (Moncada next month, Saladino a super sub). SS-Tim. 3B-Frazier. All star infield on paper. C - Free agent. DH - Free agent. OF - Melky, Avi in right, free agent. Pitching: Add a bullpen piece via minor trade, open season with one of the Washington guys in the majors, etc.

But after seeing what we have on the field, yuck.

You continue to be delusional. Don't ever change. The players we want on our roster from other teams don't typically make it to free agency. Everyone has a lot of money to pay their free agents, so real stars just don't seem to hit the market and they're likely not coming to 35th and Shields.

I shouldn't even be arguing with you because you'll never learn. You live in go for it world. Hate to break it to you, but this organization has 1 WS in the last 99 years and it's far time we try something different.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 06:20 PM)
If we are lucky.

Not really "if we are lucky". Starlin Castro was an exciting player for an organization starved for talent. He wasn't any good, but he was exciting.

Moncada is already a more talent one of those guys with a much higher ceiling. He'll certainly be something to watch.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
Your way sucked. Go watch some MiLB if you're upset. The Charlotte Knights have the most top 100 prospects of any team in the minors

Obviously you are fairly ignorant to the discussions in other threads. The other way was not my way. i agree with this. However, I also am not complaining about the poor play I expect it. If you want this way as well, you should endure the poor play and support the team because this is what you wanted.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 08:57 PM)
Obviously you are fairly ignorant to the discussions in other threads. The other way was not my way. i agree with this. However, I also am not complaining about the poor play I expect it. If you want this way as well, you should endure the poor play and support the team because this is what you wanted.

Sorry, I shouldn't have bitten your head off there. I am so used to having to defend myself against the "Go for it every year" folks. Now, most of them have jumped to the rebuild train.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:18 PM)
Sorry, I shouldn't have bitten your head off there. I am so used to having to defend myself against the "Go for it every year" folks. Now, most of them have jumped to the rebuild train.

no worries. I'm doing the same thing to the posters who wanted to trade people and have a bad team and are now complaining about the bad team. If they were pushing for this they should go to the same or more games to support the plan. I still have my weekend season tickets and will continue to go to the games. Although we are going on a European vacation this year so I may miss a few more.

Well, not the best of starts to the year.

Between Q (obviously just ONE start, and it's not like he got battered around...although he did surrender 3 homers), Rodon and lingering questions about Giolito's fastball, we need some positive news again.

I don't think anyone's going to get too excited about salary dumping Melky/Robertson and replacing our outfielders with the likes of Tilson/Engel/L.Garcia/Liriano/Hawkins, but eventually you'll have a young team full of exciting and dynamic players. EVENTUALLY.

It's also becoming more and more clear that Jose Abreu should be DHing. Of course, so should Avi Garcia...the problem there being you can't have a DH with a 725-750 OPS and expect to have a competitive offense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)
Well, not the best of starts to the year.

Between Q (obviously just ONE start, and it's not like he got battered around...although he did surrender 3 homers), Rodon and lingering questions about Giolito's fastball, we need some positive news again.

I don't think anyone's going to get too excited about salary dumping Melky/Robertson and replacing our outfielders with the likes of Tilson/Engel/L.Garcia/Liriano/Hawkins, but eventually you'll have a young team full of exciting and dynamic players. EVENTUALLY.

It's also becoming more and more clear that Jose Abreu should be DHing. Of course, so should Avi Garcia...the problem there being you can't have a DH with a 725-750 OPS and expect to have a competitive offense.

Why am I seeing this word so often in regards to the 2017 team?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 08:39 PM)
Why am I seeing this word so often in regards to the 2017 team?

You always have to look at the POTENTIAL of any offense.

I'm not sure how long Abreu will be in a White Sox uniform, or how influential he is with Moncada...but Avi's definitely not part of the long-term picture.

That said, JR cares about revenue, and there's nothing worse than a bad team with no offense. Traditionally, we had bad pitching and at least entertaining offense when our teams were mediocre since USCF was constructed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:55 PM)
You always have to look at the POTENTIAL of any offense.

I'm not sure how long Abreu will be in a White Sox uniform, or how influential he is with Moncada...but Avi's definitely not part of the long-term picture.

That said, JR cares about revenue, and there's nothing worse than a bad team with no offense. Traditionally, we had bad pitching and at least entertaining offense when our teams were mediocre since USCF was constructed.

Really? My view was usually the reverse. Decent pitching with a poor offense.

Went to the Opener and the ReOpener. Really disappointed in the game and in the Detroit fans who decided to come on our Opening Day. After all, they only have 80 Home games and another 15 or so more with the Sox at the Rate they can go to so who knows why those POS had to come to our Opening Day.

My own thoughts:

Tim Anderson should have made that play in the second inning on the one hopper. He took his eye off of it. That would have helped to stop the momentum and would have shortened the inning for Q. That is not to deny that Q got hit hard today. Don't know what to make of that.

Jacob May's first game looked like Jacob May's first game. Not sure why the Sox let Bourjos go. May looked like an easy out for Verlander and K-Rod.

Asche looked over matched at the plate. I would like to have had more LH power in the line-up today, perhaps Delmonico.

Saladino is the man. he stays in the line-up even if Moncada comes up.

Best food/beer combo was 35th St Tacos barbacoa tacos washed down with Landshark beer with lime and salted rim.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 10:19 PM)
I feel like your view is correct from like 2007-2016.

The Sox had a great offense with terrible pitching from like 98-2004.

That sounds about right. I think from 91-97 both were pretty in general.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)

I jumped to the "Find another sport to watch" train lmao

This team can suck for the next 3-4 years while they're slowly realizing they can't groom positional talent to save their lives.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 03:24 AM)
Best food/beer combo was 35th St Tacos barbacoa tacos washed down with Landshark beer with lime and salted rim.

And you have identified the only reason to go to the ballyard the next 3-5 seasons. Food and drink. The best in baseball I've heard. Only other reason to go is to watch major league baseball in a nice comfy environment.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:24 PM)
Went to the Opener and the ReOpener. Really disappointed in the game and in the Detroit fans who decided to come on our Opening Day. After all, they only have 80 Home games and another 15 or so more with the Sox at the Rate they can go to so who knows why those POS had to come to our Opening Day.

My own thoughts:

Tim Anderson should have made that play in the second inning on the one hopper. He took his eye off of it. That would have helped to stop the momentum and would have shortened the inning for Q. That is not to deny that Q got hit hard today. Don't know what to make of that.

Jacob May's first game looked like Jacob May's first game. Not sure why the Sox let Bourjos go. May looked like an easy out for Verlander and K-Rod.

Asche looked over matched at the plate. I would like to have had more LH power in the line-up today, perhaps Delmonico.

Saladino is the man. he stays in the line-up even if Moncada comes up.

1) We have to be thankful ANYONE is attending Sox games the first 3 months of this season, so all money is green, no matter who spends it.

2) Detroit also has the recent (since 2006, when Verlander debuted) decade of success for their fans to fall back on. Not to mention the relatively close distance between the two cities, and Chicago's reputation for tourists/shoppers (it's Spring Break time as well for many school districts).

As far as Saladino goes, he'll have a place in the line-up (likely at 3B, replacing Frazier) IF he can stay healthy and keep his OPS at the 700-750 OPS level or higher (due to his defense). That said, Moncada will have ONE defined position and stay there (likely 2B) whenever he is recalled (2017 or even 2018). Saladino's not going to be blocking him in the eyes of the organization.

Delmonico will get plenty of playing time if Garcia/Asche, etc., struggle as most expect. That said, he still needs to prove himself for at least 2-3 months in AAA. Same thing with Danny Hayes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 10:36 PM)
And you have identified the only reason to go to the ballyard the next 3-5 seasons. Food and drink. The best in baseball I've heard. Only other reason to go is to watch major league baseball in a nice comfy environment.

Or, you know, this guy:

moncada.jpg

Or any of the young pitching

Edited by Sox-35th