NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)
I know no one is gonna shed a tear for me but game no. 3 of no Porter Jr. No more clear information than a week ago.

When you only get 30 or so games with him ...

It's pretty crazy how Porter centered that team is. Reminds me of the Eric Gordon Indiana teams.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Ouch, sounds like Porter Jr is out for the season with a screwed up back.

edit: according to random Twitter person. I thought it was better sourced, but I guess not.

If true, it's terrible. 2 herniated discs is no joke. Really hope he can make a comeback, that's a lot of potential lost and I'm sure would be devastating for him. Never like to see a young man go through something like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
Back surgery/problems is definitely something that could cost the guy first round status.

True, but if he works out and people say he looks okay, you go.

If not, poor kid. Basketball has those handful of cases where star loses their career to injury. But largely I like the sport because it's not debilitated by star injuries each year.

Can't imagine the pain of losing it all right as it's about to begin.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)

If not, poor kid. Basketball has those handful of cases where star loses their career to injury. But largely I like the sport because it's not debilitated by star injuries each year.

The problem is until he plays a real schedule you won't know. Working out isn't going to answer those questions the same way a college basketball season will.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)

Agree with this, really sucks for Porter but I'm guessing as long as he looks ok in workouts he is still a top 10 pick. Sure he might not go top 3 but someone will take a chance on that talent early like the 76ers did with Embiid a few years back. I'm sure he will still do quite well for himself in the draft next year, he just won't be competing with Bagley, Ayton and Doncic for #1 but I bet he still goes right after those guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
The problem is until he plays a real schedule you won't know. Working out isn't going to answer those questions the same way a college basketball season will.

That matters next to nothing, honestly. The injury is everything. He wouldn't even be in college if he were allowed to just go pro.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
If he is a top 5 pick he has to enter draft right away. Too much risk for not enough gain.

Honestly, if he is a lottery pick he has to go pro still. There is way too much risk to going back to Missouri coming off a serious back injury if he is still going to be picked high.