SSS Theater: Avi Garcia

chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 3, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
Regarding his defense, he may actually have improved. In both 2016 and 2017 his UZR and DRS numbers are both positive, and in this Fangraphs article about the new Statcast defensive data he was the 4th most improved outfielder defensively from 2015 to 2016. Obviously a pretty small sample size, but at the very least I think it's fair to say he's no longer a disaster out there.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/examining-t...-probabilities/

It's nice seeing development.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Regarding his defense, he may actually have improved. In both 2016 and 2017 his UZR and DRS numbers are both positive, and in this Fangraphs article about the new Statcast defensive data he was the 4th most improved outfielder defensively from 2015 to 2016. Obviously a pretty small sample size, but at the very least I think it's fair to say he's no longer a disaster out there.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/examining-t...-probabilities/

I'm glad someone else noticed the defensive improvement last year. I think earlier in the spring I had said he had improved but since Eaton was out there most of the time it was hard to tell but the DSR or dWar was positive if I remember right.

The statcast data on 1-5 star ratings was also encouraging to me although I've seen it misinterpreted .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 4, 2017 -> 06:43 PM)
I'm glad someone else noticed the defensive improvement last year. I think earlier in the spring I had said he had improved but since Eaton was out there most of the time it was hard to tell but the DSR or dWar was positive if I remember right.

The statcast data on 1-5 star ratings was also encouraging to me although I've seen it misinterpreted .

I'll give you credit, you did make this argument during the offseason. I'll admit I was skeptical of the small sample size, but so far he's looked better out there this year.

It is a short term mark to be sure, but with 27 games in the book, we are 1/6th of the way through the season, and Avi Garcia leads the AL with his .371 batting average, is 5th with his 1.017 OPS, is 8th with a .598 SLG, and is 5th with a .419 OBP.

That is one hell of a start.

I've been as skeptical of Avi as anyone but I'm at least starting to think this might have a chance of not being a complete fluke(avioulsy he's not going to put up a .371 average all year, etc). We all know the story at this point with the strike zone discipline being very much the same but the launch angles and what not being extremely different so I'm interested to see where this goes from here on out. It's still a small sample size and he could fall completely on his face but I'm paying attention more at this point.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 5, 2017 -> 07:36 AM)
I've been as skeptical of Avi as anyone but I'm at least starting to think this might have a chance of not being a complete fluke(avioulsy he's not going to put up a .371 average all year, etc). We all know the story at this point with the strike zone discipline being very much the same but the launch angles and what not being extremely different so I'm interested to see where this goes from here on out. It's still a small sample size and he could fall completely on his face but I'm paying attention more at this point.

Ha Aviously I like it. I really feel like he has turned the corner. I don't think he is a top 10 hitter in the AL but I do feel he is finally living up to some of his hype. I check his stat line every game as I am rooting heavily for him. Always have been a fan of his.

Also this needs to be turned into the Avi for All Star game thread . Recent article listing AVi as one of 4 players with a chance to make their 1st AS game. http://calltothepen.com/2017/05/07/mlb-4-p...ame-appearance/ An excerpt :

So far this season, Garcia is hitting .362/.407/.571 with five home runs, 24 RBI and 18 runs. His .366 batting average ranks fifth best in MLB and second best in the AL, behind Starlin Castro.

Garcia’s 1.4 bWAR currently leads all other Chicago White Sox players in 2017. Garcia also leads in an array of White Sox categories including home runs, RBI, runs, hits, triples, batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, OPS and OPS-plus.

Looks like voting has already started and here is the link to the ballot https://www.mlb.com/all-star/ballot

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick bump here now that the sample sizes are getting bigger:

1) K% is down to 19%, which is 6% lower than last year.

2) He's getting hits on 18.4% of his IF ground balls, that's insane, that's downright ichiro esque. That will regress but it speaks to his increased speed and his hustle.

3) GB/FB ratio remains much improved, at 1.55.

4) Pull percentage is also improved at 44%.

5) Which explains a lot his improved linear weights on fastballs, which has NEVER BEEN POSITIVE is now 11.4 runs above average. You gotta be bleeping me!

6) His defense over the past 100 or so games has actually improved to "passable", someone noticed that last last summer he improved and he's carried that over to this year, only -1.8 runs below average in RF, which with the way he's hitting you hardly even care about.

All in all I don't see much in the numbers indicating he's improved his approach or batting eye. What I do see is a guy that has improved his swing quite a bit. He's making a lot more loud contact this year. His swing plane is better and his bat is much quicker on fastballs. He and Thames are similar stories although obviously Avi lost bulk instead of adding it.

This could be a Steverson victory, and a hard work victory for Avi as well.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 22, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Just a quick bump here now that the sample sizes are getting bigger:

1) K% is down to 19%, which is 6% lower than last year.

2) He's getting hits on 18.4% of his IF ground balls, that's insane, that's downright ichiro esque. That will regress but it speaks to his increased speed and his hustle.

3) GB/FB ratio remains much improved, at 1.55.

4) Pull percentage is also improved at 44%.

5) Which explains a lot his improved linear weights on fastballs, which has NEVER BEEN POSITIVE is now 11.4 runs above average. You gotta be bleeping me!

6) His defense over the past 100 or so games has actually improved to "passable", someone noticed that last last summer he improved and he's carried that over to this year, only -1.8 runs below average in RF, which with the way he's hitting you hardly even care about.

All in all I don't see much in the numbers indicating he's improved his approach or batting eye. What I do see is a guy that has improved his swing quite a bit. He's making a lot more loud contact this year. His swing plane is better and his bat is much quicker on fastballs. He and Thames are similar stories although obviously Avi lost bulk instead of adding it.

This could be a Steverson victory, and a hard work victory for Avi as well.

Is there anything out there on exit velocity?