Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 11:19 PM)
I mean the issue with Washington is they need a whole back-end of the f***ing bullpen.

Yup. If the Rays are out, they'll want Colome the most. Then they can build from there (Kahnle, etc.).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
Yup. If the Rays are out, they'll want Colome the most. Then they can build from there (Kahnle, etc.).

They can't afford two guys like Colome and Kahnle.

They'll have to choose 1, UNLESS, IMHO, they wanted to do something like Robertson and Kahnle, which might allow them to get two high leverage guys, potentially with some cash coming their way even.

Otherwise, I think they'd be best served by going with something like Neshek and Madson, which might allow them to escape without giving up Robles.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 11:33 PM)
They can't afford two guys like Colome and Kahnle.

They'll have to choose 1, UNLESS, IMHO, they wanted to do something like Robertson and Kahnle, which might allow them to get two high leverage guys, potentially with some cash coming their way even.

Otherwise, I think they'd be best served by going with something like Neshek and Madson, which might allow them to escape without giving up Robles.

A Robertson + Kahnle + Cash package is not going to come cheap for the Nats. I'd expect that price to be steep.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
Having watched Robertson for 2 1/2 years...still not even 100% convinced how certain I would be about him in the playoffs. Definitely not in any tie game. With Miller, you know you're in trouble no matter what the game situation. Would depend on a perfectly balanced workload being possible for him.

I think the Nats would trust him 100% more than anyone that steps out of the clown car that they drive out to the mound every save opportunity.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 07:14 AM)
A Robertson + Kahnle + Cash package is not going to come cheap for the Nats. I'd expect that price to be steep.

No it won't, but I guess my point was I think it might still be cheaper what they might give up if they try to get two high-leverage guys like that, with some control even, from two separate teams.

And while I wouldn't typically suggest we do that, in the case of the Nats, if it was the path to Robles, I'd do it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
No it won't, but I guess my point was I think it might still be cheaper what they might give up if they try to get two high-leverage guys like that, with some control even, from two separate teams.

And while I wouldn't typically suggest we do that, in the case of the Nats, if it was the path to Robles, I'd do it.

I would absolutely start my ask with Robles and go from there. Robertson is not worth Robles on his own, but Kahnle adds a ton of value with how well he has pitched this season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
I think the Nats would trust him 100% more than anyone that steps out of the clown car that they drive out to the mound every save opportunity.

The Nationals' version of our Ronald Bellisario days............I still have a twitch even typing that...

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
I would absolutely start my ask with Robles and go from there. Robertson is not worth Robles on his own, but Kahnle adds a ton of value with how well he has pitched this season.

Depends on if the Nats think he will keep it up over the remainder of his years of control.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 19, 2017 -> 10:45 PM)
Guys who could be on the market competing with Robertson:

Roberto Osuna

Justin Wilson

Colome (highly skeptical of the Rays as sellers tho)

Britton? He hasn't been healthy but he's very good

Doolittle

Neshek

Nicasio

Jim Johnson

Probably a lot I missed. Robertson is far from the Nats only option. It just happens to be a good fit.

Osuna is young and controllable and not going anywhere.

Doolittle can't stay healthy and Britton has hardly pitched at all this season.

None of the rest have near the track record of Robertson. If a team is wanting a backend option, you call on Osuna, Colome, and Robertson. The rest either have injury riddled backgrounds or are journeyman relievers experiencing a year of above average production, not something you want to rest your playoff hopes on them being able to maintain.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
There is 1 good team in the AL, I have a hard time believing all of those teams will be sellers.

Agreed. The standings are very close, with many teams being within 5 games of a playoff spot right now.

Once teams get their draft picks signed the focus will shift to what needs to be added in the next few weeks to aid a playoff push.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Osuna is young and controllable and not going anywhere.

Doolittle can't stay healthy and Britton has hardly pitched at all this season.

None of the rest have near the track record of Robertson. If a team is wanting a backend option, you call on Osuna, Colome, and Robertson. The rest either have injury riddled backgrounds or are journeyman relievers experiencing a year of above average production, not something you want to rest your playoff hopes on them being able to maintain.

Britton is out for the year.

Kahnle is worth 2 top 100 prospects in the 50-100 range and a interesting piece. He is right up there with Jansen and Knebell in k/9 and has 3 years of control, he is beyond a "sweetener" if he gets moved at the deadline expect a slightly lesser package than Giles. If he gets moved in the off season and takes over for the departed Robertson his value is only going to go up from there.

Knlprpe.png

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Kahnle is worth 2 top 100 prospects in the 50-100 range and a interesting piece. He is right up there with Jansen and Knebell in k/9 and has 3 years of control, he is beyond a "sweetener" if he gets moved at the deadline expect a slightly lesser package than Giles. If he gets moved in the off season and takes over for the departed Robertson his value is only going to go up from there.

Knlprpe.png

In our view? Yes, he's worth 2 back 50 top 100 prospects. I highly doubt the rest of the league views him that highly due to the short track record though?

I absolutely would try hard to sell high on him at the deadline if we can

Knlprpe.png

There is a notable difference in the third column there, teams will pay a premium for guys with a track record of closing out ball games. There is not a big track record of non-closers pulling in the returns that you mention. Andrew Miller would be the exception, but he is really in his own class of type of reliever at this point.

Knlprpe.png

I'm so intrigued to see whether Hahn shops him or keeps him. Such a good case either way. Merkin recently mentioned him among the guys that will get discussed a lot at the deadline.

I'm with you on the value though. He makes so much sense for the Nationals, especially with the control. Have to think they'll be guy shy about emptying the farm, but they'll most certainly address the bullpen somehow. And the sox can fill 1-2 holes at any level of the bullpen in any number of ways (Closer, Set-Up, lefty, middle relief).

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
In our view? Yes, he's worth 2 back 50 top 100 prospects. I highly doubt the rest of the league views him that highly due to the short track record though?

I absolutely would try hard to sell high on him at the deadline if we can

If thats the case then he won't be moved till the winter meetings or deadline next year as he takes over for Robertson and builds his value up even more.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Kahlne has no track record to speak of, I highly doubt we get a top 100 guy for him. If so it will be 80-100 range

There would be no reason to move Kahnle for less than at least one top 100 prospect + another interesting piece right now. He's cheap and has been lights out this season with peripherals to back him up.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Kahlne has no track record to speak of, I highly doubt we get a top 100 guy for him. If so it will be 80-100 range

His record is pretty consistent over 4 years or so (2014-17).

I'm not sure of two things, tho: Why did Rockies let him go, and why did Sox send him down last year? Cannot remember.

Don't forget, he has always been on s***ty teams.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
His record is pretty consistent over 4 years or so (2014-17).

I'm not sure of two things, tho: Why did Rockies let him go, and why did Sox send him down last year? Cannot remember.

Don't forget, he has always been on s***ty teams.

He was a high draft pick (4th round) that always had serious potential and high K rates in the minors. Had a pretty good rookie year even at Coors, then ran into some control issues.

Sox gave up Yancy Almonte (a pretty good prospect) for him, and Coop made some mechanical changes (follow-through and head jerk specifically) that Kahnle has attributed to the control improvement he had end of last year and into this year.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)
If thats the case then he won't be moved till the winter meetings or deadline next year as he takes over for Robertson and builds his value up even more.

I'm sure nearly everyone will be shopped but I would put a high price on him. I think you value him like he is for real and teams won't want to pay that price. If he takes Robertson's place and is for real, next trade deadline you could get a haul greater than Robertson as he will be under control thru 2020 and cheap.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)

We're watching his track record now--It's a pretty good one!