5/25 Games (Kopech and Giolito)

caulfield12

Rucker can be the 3rd element of the Cubs/Q trade. Or they can go with the AA pitcher, #8 prospect whose name escapes me at the moment.

Proposal: Mightily struggling Schwarber, Happ or Jimenez and Rucker for Q.

Unfortunately, don't think the Cubs will give up 2 of those first 3...might have to go to Baez instead matched with one of those names.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:17 PM)
Rucker can be the 3rd element of the Cubs/Q trade. Or they can go with the AA pitcher, #8 prospect whose name escapes me at the moment.

Proposal: Mightily struggling Schwarber, Happ or Jimenez and Rucker for Q.

Unfortunately, don't think the Cubs will give up 2 of those first 3...might have to go to Baez instead matched with one of those names.

The Cubs and Sox aren't making a Quintana trade.

The Cubs have nothing to lose because they just won the World Series.

The White Sox, similar situation, but because their attendance has bottomed out and nobody's really paying attention except for the few die hard fans and prospect junkies, so it's not going to make or break them no matter which way the trade turns out. And they desperately need position players, which is what the Cubs have in abundance.

It's not like Garland/Karchner at the height of the City Series Rivalry. Things have cooled off a LOT since then.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:24 PM)
Zavala must like those game winning situations. Game winning hit a couple days ago. He just put Kanny up 1 with a homer in the top of the 10th.

now hitting in the .250's after slow start.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 25, 2017 -> 07:56 PM)
He's settling down now after the rough first two innings. That's how elite of a prospect Kopech is. His struggles are usually decent outings for maybe B type prospects. He might end up with a solid line despite this not being a good game for him.

5 Innings, 4 Hits, 4 Walks, 1 Run, 6 Ks.

So, good besides the 4 walks.

Zavala must like those game winning situations. Game winning hit a couple days ago. He just put Kanny up 1 with a homer in the top of the 10th.

I'm still high on him. Only reason he's in Kanny is because of Collins - once Collins goes up, so will Zavala.

I think there's a high probability that Zavala plays in the majors as at least a backup. Has turned into a pretty decent defensive catcher, to go along with an offensive package that will play.

By the way, despite the slow start, not only have his overall numbers improved, but his 8 HR are 3rd best in the system (Hayes and Barnum each have 9). This despite the facts that A) he's playing home games in a power-suppressing park and B) he's played about 25% fewer games than the others near the lead because he's a catcher.

Kanny lost it in the 10th.

Morrison had already thrown 3 2/3 perfect innings so Ben Wright came in for the bottom of the 10th and gave up 2.

Morrison this season: 25 IP 4 Hits, 5 Walks, 34 Ks, 0.00 ERA, 0.36 WHIP

He's 23 so maybe time to move him up?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 26, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
I'm still high on him. Only reason he's in Kanny is because of Collins - once Collins goes up, so will Zavala.

I think there's a high probability that Zavala plays in the majors as at least a backup. Has turned into a pretty decent defensive catcher, to go along with an offensive package that will play.

I like him as well. He's not as good as Collins obviously, but I love his defensive abilities. Very underrated in our system.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
I just want to take credit for NOT jinxing Giolito's no-hitter by bringing it up prematurely, lol...

(Although it was amusing that some Q fans argued recently they'd rather have him strike out 8-10 with ER's than put up numbers similar to Giolito's in terms of BB's/K's).

This feels like a shot at me but I stand by what I said. For Giolito right now I'll definitely take this even with just the 3K but for someone in Quintana's situation I think a 4.00 ERA/3.00 FIP is much preferable to a 3.00 ERA/4.00 FIP for trade value, GMs are going to value the former much more highly IMO (provided there's no evidence that the pitcher is just getting hit really hard).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
I just want to take credit for NOT jinxing Giolito's no-hitter by bringing it up prematurely, lol...

(Although it was amusing that some Q fans argued recently they'd rather have him strike out 8-10 with ER's than put up numbers similar to Giolito's in terms of BB's/K's).

As far as trade value for Q, yes, and as far as projection and development for Giolito, also yes, the 8-10 run exaggeration obviously excepted.