Sox claim Alen Hanson

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
Josh Harrison, Newman, Ngoepe....numbers game.

http://www.pittsburghsports.net/search.php

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1403369...one-knows-about

Another reason is lacks the arm for SS.

But a Top 50-75 milb prospect coming into 2013. We're collecting those guys. Garcia's. Rymer Liriano.

This is exactly what they should be doing. The Reds acquired Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens, who was traded to the Cubs for Mark DeRosa, who was later traded for Chris Perez (Mark DeRose, not Jeff Stevens). This is essentially useless trivia, because Brandon Phillips, the dude who averaged almost 3.5 WAR per season for his first 7 seasons with the Reds, was traded for a nothing prospect. Alen Hanson was acquired for NOTHING*. Willy Garcia was acquired for NOTHING*. Rymer Liriano was acquired for NOTHING*. Cody Asche was acquired for NOTHING*. This is what rebuilding organizations do. You take chances on players, and if they suck, you discard them, and if a s***ty team discards a player, chances are no one else is going to be like "oh, well he was a top 100 prospect 3 years ago."

Literally, the Sox are not giving up a "nothing" prospect, because sometimes a "nothing" prospect turns into Chris Devenski, a prospect the White Sox traded to the Astros for Brett Myers. That "nothing" prospect turns into one of the most unique bullpen weapons in the game. They aren't giving up nothing.

This is not an attack on you caulfield, this is just an open rant because I have the day off tomorrow and I am HAPPY that the White Sox won a game today.

*no players, but I'm sure there are waiver fees applied. Also, Cody Asche is GOD, all hail Cody Asche

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Astros have benefitted (Devenski, McHugh) but also gave up Robbie Grossman and JD Martinez for virtually nothing. They also traded Domingo Santana, who has become a valuable player this year for the Brew Crew. They whiffed on Singleton but still absorbed all of these losses to the offensive depth chart.

Another great example is Aaron Hicks with the Yankees this year, or the contract Jean Segura just secured. Obviously Quintana remains the best recent White Sox move of this ilk.

(Fwiw, Jake Marisnick remains the one "bridge/transition" player it would be a coup to get from the Astros, but I highly doubt the stars align.)

Edited by caulfield12

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't really read much about the kid, but looking around I came across this today.

http://piratesbreakdown.com/2017/01/07/pit...ns-alen-hanson/

Areas of Improvement

Maturity. It is really that simple for Hanson. Hanson needs to show the organization that he is committed to their plan, not his own. Last season when players were called up from the Triple A roster that were different than himself, he would shut down. You would notice Hanson’s effort drop off tremendously. Not only that, other players and coaches would make notes about his morale. It was reported on heavily in the 2016 season. Due to Hanson’s contract and he being out of options, he will have to start the year in Pittsburgh or be put thru the waiver wire. Hopefully the Pirates front office has had a stern talk to the youngster about teamwork and morale this off-season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)
I hadn't really read much about the kid, but looking around I came across this today.

This guy might be a keeper. Not sure he's anything more than a utility guy but it's nice to see the Sox leveraging their position on the waiver wire.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
This guy might be a keeper. Not sure he's anything more than a utility guy but it's nice to see the Sox leveraging their position on the waiver wire.

If the story about his attitude is true, a lot of things make sense now, including why the Pirates cut bait so quickly. If you can get the kid around some good leadership and get him to buy into the idea of playing hard every day, you probably have a starting calibur playing at his talent level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
If the story about his attitude is true, a lot of things make sense now, including why the Pirates cut bait so quickly. If you can get the kid around some good leadership and get him to buy into the idea of playing hard every day, you probably have a starting calibur playing at his talent level.

I'm embarrassed to say I thought he was black and that they brought him partially so TA could have someone to talk with in English about playing IF that isn't Todd Frazier.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)

Hanson (Alen) is exactly the type of a guy a rebuilding club like the White Sox should take a chance on. If he can turn things around that is great. We really do not have anything to lose.

We would much rather give chances to younger players than aging veterans.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
Hanson (Alen) is exactly the type of a guy a rebuilding club like the White Sox should take a chance on. If he can turn things around that is great. We really do not have anything to lose.

We would much rather give chances to younger players than aging veterans.

The Sox have no reason not to take chances on guys like this. At the end of the day if Hanson is a poisonous personality, you stick him back on waivers and move on to the next guy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 01:45 AM)
This is exactly what they should be doing. The Reds acquired Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens, who was traded to the Cubs for Mark DeRosa, who was later traded for Chris Perez (Mark DeRose, not Jeff Stevens). This is essentially useless trivia, because Brandon Phillips, the dude who averaged almost 3.5 WAR per season for his first 7 seasons with the Reds, was traded for a nothing prospect. Alen Hanson was acquired for NOTHING*. Willy Garcia was acquired for NOTHING*. Rymer Liriano was acquired for NOTHING*. Cody Asche was acquired for NOTHING*. This is what rebuilding organizations do. You take chances on players, and if they suck, you discard them, and if a s***ty team discards a player, chances are no one else is going to be like "oh, well he was a top 100 prospect 3 years ago."

Literally, the Sox are not giving up a "nothing" prospect, because sometimes a "nothing" prospect turns into Chris Devenski, a prospect the White Sox traded to the Astros for Brett Myers. That "nothing" prospect turns into one of the most unique bullpen weapons in the game. They aren't giving up nothing.

This is not an attack on you caulfield, this is just an open rant because I have the day off tomorrow and I am HAPPY that the White Sox won a game today.

*no players, but I'm sure there are waiver fees applied. Also, Cody Asche is GOD, all hail Cody Asche

Nice catch on Devenski. Saw him in a game recently and knew the name was familiar, but I could not place him. Now I remember.

Another good move by Kenny. Brett Myers, who was famous for his "Retard" comments, moved on to Cleveland for half a dozen games, then retired.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Nice catch on Devenski. Saw him in a game recently and knew the name was familiar, but I could not place him. Now I remember.

Another good move by Kenny. Brett Myers, who was famous for his "Retard" comments, moved on to Cleveland for half a dozen games, then retired.

He was famous for beating his wife in front of several witnesses on the streets of Boston.

When an off-the-radar player with no acclaim is traded away and many years later resurfaces as good, it's worth putting things in perspective. It's hard to say whether there's something obvious like this for Devenski, but you have to consider the possibility that the player would not have developed successfully in the original organization.

I'm sure Yankees fans are pissed they let Jose Quintana go, but there's a good chance he was going to be in single-A and possibly pitching in relief had he stayed in their organization. Instead, he got modestly hot as a starter in Birmingham and then benefited from a surprise situation when the Sox both had a roster opening and had a doubleheader on the same day, leading to a callup of both their AAA and AA starters scheduled that day. The luck continued when the Sox scheduled starter had a rotten start and they had a need for their emergency reliever, Quintana, who subsequently pitched so well in his long relief appearance that the Sox kept him up.

Even in the best of circumstances with the Yankees, his timeline would have been significantly delayed, probably by two years.

Compare that to a guy like Moncada who is probably so clearly talented that it matters very little which team he plays for because he'll do well regardless of opportunity and coaching.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 05:15 AM)
The Astros have benefitted (Devenski, McHugh) but also gave up Robbie Grossman and JD Martinez for virtually nothing. They also traded Domingo Santana, who has become a valuable player this year for the Brew Crew. They whiffed on Singleton but still absorbed all of these losses to the offensive depth chart.

Another great example is Aaron Hicks with the Yankees this year, or the contract Jean Segura just secured. Obviously Quintana remains the best recent White Sox move of this ilk.

(Fwiw, Jake Marisnick remains the one "bridge/transition" player it would be a coup to get from the Astros, but I highly doubt the stars align.)

One difference is that the Astros are continuously churning out talent from their farm. They can make trades and overcome mistakes.

there are a ton of ex Cubs who are really productive as well. Hendry could find talent, but he coughed it up.

and that's why seemingly small moves for unheralded prospects need to be made...they only way you find a Devenski is to put yourself in a position to find a Devenski.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Some scouts grade Tatis as a future 65 - 70 grade player. I am praying that does not happen, otherwise the Shields trade is a total disaster.

I've not seen a single place other than Keith Law suggest he's even remotely close to that.

That'd be the top prospect in baseball.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
I've not seen a single place other than Keith Law suggest he's even remotely close to that.

That'd be the top prospect in baseball.

Yeah, I've seen 50-55 grades. A good prospect, but nothing otherworldly like a 65-70 would be.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
Some scouts grade Tatis as a future 65 - 70 grade player. I am praying that does not happen, otherwise the Shields trade is a total disaster.

Who? I've seen exactly one scout / insider type, Keith Law, so much as rank him as a top 100 prospect. That's it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
70 would be something like Mike Trout.

Trout is an 80 grade player. Flat out elite, perennial MVP candidate, future 1st ballot HOF. 80 grade is a generational talent.

Guys like Kris Bryant, Carlos Correa, Nolan Arenado, etc are 70 grade players

Edited by steveno89

You will see Tatis Jr on more than law's mid year top 100s. He's showing really good power for an 18 year old in A ball. Would be shocked if he's not on Callis's and Longenhagens based on their chats.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
You will see Tatis Jr on more than law's mid year top 100s. He's showing really good power for an 18 year old in A ball. Would be shocked if he's not on Callis's and Longenhagens based on their chats.

Tatis has been impressive for an 18 year old. I don't like how this bodes for us.

There's not really much we can do, an 18 year old power hitting SS would look really good in our system even if he's not a future SS. But just reflexively getting mad at any hint he's actually good just seems based on envy to me. Still substantial risk in him. BUt I'd rather have him than shields.