Sox claim Alen Hanson

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
There's not really much we can do, an 18 year old power hitting SS would look really good in our system even if he's not a future SS. But just reflexively getting mad at any hint he's actually good just seems based on envy to me. Still substantial risk in him. BUt I'd rather have him than shields.

Sox badly needed the Luis Robert signing. He's exactly the sort of young talent the organization needs to be taking a chance on.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Trout is an 80 grade player. Flat out elite, perennial MVP candidate, future 1st ballot HOF. 80 grade is a generational talent.

Guys like Kris Bryant, Carlos Correa, Nolan Arenado, etc are 70 grade players

If Tatis ends up in that camp, I will be thrilled that the Sox have finally learned how to scout Latin America.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
You will see Tatis Jr on more than law's mid year top 100s. He's showing really good power for an 18 year old in A ball. Would be shocked if he's not on Callis's and Longenhagens based on their chats.

He was on Longenhagen's preseason top 100 at #78.

Really liking the Hanson pickup. Preseason ranked #80 prospect in baseball on the KATOH statistical projection list ( http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/katohs-2017...-100-prospects/ ), and (not that it's particularly wise focusing on a team slash rather than a season slash) .370/.451/.519 with the White Sox. High floor due to baserunning and positional versatility. Sox have a few of these guys but he looks like an MLB-calibre super-utility guy to me.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 12:45 AM)
Really liking the Hanson pickup. Preseason ranked #80 prospect in baseball on the KATOH statistical projection list ( http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/katohs-2017...-100-prospects/ ), and (not that it's particularly wise focusing on a team slash rather than a season slash) .370/.451/.519 with the White Sox. High floor due to baserunning and positional versatility. Sox have a few of these guys but he looks like an MLB-calibre super-utility guy to me.

Play him everywhere this year and see if he can at least stick in the MLB as a Pablo Ozuna type.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
I really love fast players that play fast. Leury had highly graded speed and never seemed to really show it. Hanson is a blur.

Second fastest 2B on the bases this season. What shocked me was Tim Anderson was the second fastest SS in the same statistic. Still have no idea why Rick doesn't allow some of the guys on this team to steal more.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Second fastest 2B on the bases this season. What shocked me was Tim Anderson was the second fastest SS in the same statistic. Still have no idea why Rick doesn't allow some of the guys on this team to steal more.

I've read that tim is slowed down to first by how he finishes his swing, but man when he gets to turn it up for extra bases it's awesome.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
I really love fast players that play fast. Leury had highly graded speed and never seemed to really show it. Hanson is a blur.

He has been a huge plus so far, and seems to be hitting better than he ever did for Pittsburgh. Hopefully the historic attitude problems don't resurface when guys like Saladino and Moncada cut into his potential playing time.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
What I'm not seeing with Hanson is the ceiling to justify the kinds of rankings he was getting as a MiLBer with non-great production.

The over hype D.R. players syndrome?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)
What I'm not seeing with Hanson is the ceiling to justify the kinds of rankings he was getting as a MiLBer with non-great production.

Maybe not, but he's played really well for the Sox and I'd like to see him play regularly.

That will require moving Frazier/Melky which hopefully happens soon.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)

Two things:

1) I think there is a reluctance to sufficiently revise downward after a high ranking

2) Players with one superior tool (speed, in this case) seem to have a more graceful fall.

I think it's easier to imagine a player with a upper echelon major league trait using it to overcome weaknesses than a player with a wide array of modest strengths finding those 5-10% gains that make them a great player.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)
Maybe not, but he's played really well for the Sox and I'd like to see him play regularly.

That will require moving Frazier/Melky which hopefully happens soon.

I like what I've seen so far. He's fast as hell and seems pretty confident at the plate. I would hope that some of the moves coming up (hopefully) will allow him to keep playing even if Moncada comes up and Saladino and Leury return. Why not see what he can do to see if he fits in future plans.