2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 11:28 PM)
I do like Washington and to a little lesser extent Miami. But the eastern conference champion has already been crowned with Hayward's injury. Damn shame.

And so has the West champion. 4th straight year the NBA Finals matchup has been determined in October with the same 2 teams. I try to enjoy the basketball being played, but How do people get into the regular season if it means absolutely nothing?

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
Talk about a gut punch to the Celtics.

They are done.

And according to Vincent Goodwill, Portis and Mirotic have disliked each other for 2 years now.

Edited by SoxAce

Frankly, I don't see how you can have Niko and Portis on the same team anymore. Fights happen, but this one went a bit too far. If Portis did this on the street, he would be in jail.

If this happened with someone from another team during a game, they would be gone a long, long time. Portis needs to get at least 20 games IMO.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
See if you can get anything for Portis, if not, cut him or send him to Windy City if you can.

Yeah, if Portis was truly a building block, you suspend him for a couple of months but keep him around and maybe find a new home for Niko. He might turn into a decent player, but he's pretty replaceable. He'll fill rosters of the garbage teams for 10 years. Both are pretty replaceable. Losing either one or both will never cost the Bulls a championship.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
Frankly, I don't see how you can have Niko and Portis on the same team anymore. Fights happen, but this one went a bit too far. If Portis did this on the street, he would be in jail.

If this happened with someone from another team during a game, they would be gone a long, long time. Portis needs to get at least 20 games IMO.

then again if he were Michael Jordan, no one would say anything for decades.

Portis may not be a building block but there were times in the celts playoff series he looked like the best young player on the floor. Not someone in our situation you want to be forced to give away.

I do think a lengthy suspension is necessary and I also like putting him down in G League. However, I think if Niko files a battery? charge it's warranted and I wouldn't blame him. He obviously won't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
then again if he were Michael Jordan, no one would say anything for decades.

They didn't go to the hospital, and Michael Jordan made the Bulls money. If he broke some bones in someone's face and they missed 6 weeks, something would have happened to him. I was watching Kaplan's show last night and Bob Nightengale was on when they started talking about this. Fights in practice and clubhouses according to Nightengale are pretty common. They just usually don't get reported. And this one wouldn't have been reported if Niko didn't get severely injured.

Kermit Washington got a 60 day suspension when he almost killed Rudy Tomjanovich back when the NBA had fights pretty often. Earlier that year, in a game between the same teams, Kareem Abdul Jabbar broke Kevin Kunnert's jaw with a punch, he also broke his hand, and got no suspension.

Edited by Dick Allen

Story going around is Niko instigated, pushed Portis multiple times and finally Portis put him down. That’s what Vescey is saying, and Goodwill said this has been brewing for a few years, plus Spiegel was saying Niko doesn’t have many fans in the locker room

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Story going around is Niko instigated, pushed Portis multiple times and finally Portis put him down. That’s what Vescey is saying, and Goodwill said this has been brewing for a few years, plus Spiegel was saying Niko doesn’t have many fans in the locker room

Or in the stands.

Except Gage. :P

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Honestly...how does this have any bearing on Gar or Pax or anyone else. This was two players getting into it and one ultimately snapped.

If everyone was aware that this has been brewing for two years and nobody went to these guys and told them to be professional and to knock that s*** off, it is also on the coaching staff and front office for doing nothing

And yesterday, where the hell was the coaching staff when this went off? Come on

Honestly...how does this have any bearing on Gar or Pax or anyone else. This was two players getting into it and one ultimately snapped.

Hey man, if Paxson can punch someone in the face why can't Bobby.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
If everyone was aware that this has been brewing for two years and nobody went to these guys and told them to be professional and to knock that s*** off, it is also on the coaching staff and front office for doing nothing

And yesterday, where the hell was the coaching staff when this went off? Come on

Sports are intense, stuff happens. People love to blame Gar and Pax for everything. You know what...sometimes blame doesn't belong there. This is on Niko and Portis and to deflect that blame onto others is not right.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
They didn't go to the hospital, and Michael Jordan made the Bulls money. If he broke some bones in someone's face and they missed 6 weeks, something would have happened to him. I was watching Kaplan's show last night and Bob Nightengale was on when they started talking about this. Fights in practice and clubhouses according to Nightengale are pretty common. They just usually don't get reported. And this one wouldn't have been reported if Niko didn't get severely injured.

Kermit Washington got a 60 day suspension when he almost killed Rudy Tomjanovich back when the NBA had fights pretty often. Earlier that year, in a game between the same teams, Kareem Abdul Jabbar broke Kevin Kunnert's jaw with a punch, he also broke his hand, and got no suspension.

Yes, they are in all pro sports. But the key factor here was the extent of the injury. Hitting someone hard enough to fracture the upper jaw is crazy. That's a great deal of force. He either had to hit him when he wasn't looking or when he was on the floor.

If this has been running for years, this is more on Hoiberg than anyone else for not being able to control and mold his lockerroom. Either that or telling management that this situation wasn't going to work and get rid of one of them.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
Yes, they are in all pro sports. But the key factor here was the extent of the injury. Hitting someone hard enough to fracture the upper jaw is crazy. That's a great deal of force. He either had to hit him when he wasn't looking or when he was on the floor.

It's possible he got knocked out and the fall to the ground caused the fracture. Seems more likely IMO. I bet if Portis hit him hard enough to break Mirotic's face, he'd have a broken hand/fingers.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
It's possible he got knocked out and the fall to the ground caused the fracture. Seems more likely IMO. I bet if Portis hit him hard enough to break Mirotic's face, he'd have a broken hand/fingers.

It's possible if he was out cold from the punch.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)

Gar had a chance to get rid of him last year but didn't as well. Typical.