2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
We did. Sorry you were under a rock when Butlers trainer blasted Garpax last year, but that article basically says "We had injuries, a normal parting with Thibs, and players are divas"

There is little to no criticism of how terrible the actual trade with the Thunder was, how they actually admitted they took the first deal offered for Butler last summer, how many truly terrible personnel moves they made to get them to the point that they are at right now. Nothing

Yeah finally getting through the whole thing it was a mess of excuses none of which seemed to relate to upper management. Oh the poor Bulls would have been fine if...

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Wow, I was just coming to post the same thing. Only saw the 1st quarter and then the highlights, but looks like he may be legit. The best shooter in the draft designation looks accurate 3 games into the season.

The Cavs played zero defense in the first half. It was brutal. Lauri got wide open looks at all of his threes. I will be curious how he holds up when teams actually decide to defend him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
To me it's the Big 3. Porter/Bagley/Ayton. Pray for one of them.

I wouldn't sleep on Doncic, Bomba is my #5 but I can see him in there.

The top of this class looks absolutely absurd on paper.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
I wouldn't sleep on Doncic, Bomba is my #5 but I can see him in there.

The top of this class looks absolutely absurd on paper.

I like Doncic. He really impressed in the euro tourney. But the Bulls need a franchise changing player. Just in the east alone you've got Giannis/KP/Simmons/Embiid. We need a guy like that. Badly.

This team might be at least interesting to watch when Dunn and Lavine are both back. I'm not sure I have much faith in this franchise becoming championship caliber anytime soon though.

I still can't believe this front office gave up Jordan Bell for practically nothing. Now the guy is getting minutes off the bench for the Warriors.

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)
I like Doncic. He really impressed in the euro tourney. But the Bulls need a franchise changing player. Just in the east alone you've got Giannis/KP/Simmons/Embiid. We need a guy like that. Badly.

Whoah. So they should draft a game-changer. Never thought of that. Quite the insightful analysis.

So I've been relatively quiet, but this team (if healthy), given all the other junk in the league, will not be bad enough to tank to a top 3 pick. This will be my J4L comment...but Lauri's early flashes are just super super impressive. Still a way too early assessment but I loved how when his 3 ball wasn't falling he went straight to the hoop with some layups, etc. Showed he has more to his game. Already showed more smarts than Niko. It's too bad cause Niko has the raw skills, but lacks major basketball IQ (I did think this new system (i.e., running Hoiberg's system) would be beneficial for him though).

Fun seeing the ball movement but I still think Jerian Grant stinks and in general, our PG play is atrocious. That said, with my usual half glass full approach, I like Levine, maybe Dunn can develop a shot with time (albeit, he doesn't seem to have the handles / vision either...which makes me question if he can make it...of course that is based on what I saw last year in Minny so need to still see more of him this year before finalizing that statement). For the persprective of the tank, Levine will have rust, etc, and is still out a while longer and Lauri will hit a wall at some point, but the rest of the league has some really bad teams too.

Lauri has a chance to be f***ing elite...there I said it...someone quote me for this nonsense a few years from now when he's looking like Bargnani 2.0 or something.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:02 AM)
I'm really liking what I see from Nwaba. Reminds me of rookie/sophomore Jimmy - high energy, good defensive tools, gets to the hoop. If the Bulls could turn him into a Ronnie Brewer Bench Mob Role, that'd be phenomenal.

Nwaba is a fantastic athlete. Fantastic. He's still rough around the edges, but he has the strength and athleticism to develop into a very good defender and his aggressive style can get him points in the paint. He's exactly the type of guy you want to be giving minutes to in this rebuild and I think the Bulls have something in here. My intelligent Laker fans were bummed when the Lakers waived him (albeit, they have a glut of young guys they are trying to play in the same spot). His move was a shrewd one and I see him playing a role on some playoff Bulls teams in the future.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
Apparently Niko wants to be traded, but the Bulls have already talked to at least one team about Portis.

I presume Portis will be the one who goes (probably easier to trade). At least one will be moved, imo. Niko will likely be harder to move at this point. I still think his contract is one that could actually turn into a value. His defense is criminally underrated (despite the fact that his offensive basketball IQ is 0). A year in Hoiberg's actual system should pad his stats and enable us to move him at better value, imo.

So since I'm on a run of hot takes...I truly believe this Bulls team (as constructed today), if healthy, makes a run at the 8 seed. Not because the team as a whole is any good...but because the East is freaking terrible. We are way too good to be a bottom 3 team (if healthy). The injuries should give the Bulls a head start (in terms of tanking), but if Levine is healthy later on and Dunn make strides, we are going to win more games then people expect. If Bulls are serious about tanking, they'll need to move Lopez sooner vs. later (cause he flat out is a solid player who will drive wins but doesn't fit the long-term strategy) and who I would hope we could get some form of young asset for.

The good news is...one of the reasons I'm making this statement is because I think Lauri is far more advanced than I originally thought he was when we drafted him (and that showed in Euroleague play and is already showing now). He is also way more athletic then I thought he was (albeit he needs tighter handles when he tries his behind the back moves).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
So since I'm on a run of hot takes...I truly believe this Bulls team (as constructed today), if healthy, makes a run at the 8 seed. Not because the team as a whole is any good...but because the East is freaking terrible. We are way too good to be a bottom 3 team (if healthy). The injuries should give the Bulls a head start (in terms of tanking), but if Levine is healthy later on and Dunn make strides, we are going to win more games then people expect. If Bulls are serious about tanking, they'll need to move Lopez sooner vs. later (cause he flat out is a solid player who will drive wins but doesn't fit the long-term strategy) and who I would hope we could get some form of young asset for.

No shot. And what you are suggesting is a worst case scenario. They are committed to being terrible this year. They know that they need to do whatever is necessary to lose a ton. Atlanta, New York and Phoenix will challenge them but this is one of the worst teams in the league. It's imperative to land Porter Jr, Bagley or Doncic. It's a complete failure otherwise. They'll likely move Lopez, Mirotic and Holliday as well. Markkanen is impressive. This is a very bad basketball team though and it's that way by design.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Gage thought the 99-00 Bulls were a playoff team too at the beginning of that season. ;)

Haha...in this East they probably would be. Look at the Hawks as an example. Lots of teams with that type of garbage. My delusional brain last night was watching the game going...god, if only we had Lonzo Ball on this roster...I'd be really happy (Lonzo, Levine, Lauri)...L cubed. But then I was like...it's okay...we can draft an elite PG this year with our high pick...then I was like...no, we aren't going to suck enough. Lonzo would be such a good fit for Hoiball. I can't stand watching Grant play PG as much as he does. How do you play "Hoiball" with Jerian Grant at PG.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
No shot. And what you are suggesting is a worst case scenario. They are committed to being terrible this year. They know that they need to do whatever is necessary to lose a ton. Atlanta, New York and Phoenix will challenge them but this is one of the worst teams in the league. It's imperative to land Porter Jr, Bagley or Doncic. It's a complete failure otherwise. They'll likely move Lopez, Mirotic and Holliday as well. Markkanen is impressive. This is a very bad basketball team though and it's that way by design.

By the way, I completely agree...it is a bad scenario. I could live with it if it is because Lauri is a superstar, Levine comes back amazing (and continues an ascension) and Dunn becomes a beast. But I don't see all of those things happening (or at least not happening that fast).

But there are a lot of really really bad teams in this league. Like a lot. It's why I said in another post we need to move Lopez sooner vs. later (and I can also see then moving Mirotic sooner...albeit I think if you hold him a bit longer, he could pad his stats and actually create some value).