2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
This is basically how he explained it

We traded away Deng and traded away money.

We had 5 guys on our board for second round and they were all gone when that pick came up

We decided to trade that pick for 3.5M to save for some future player(ie. build equity)

Bell was never a consideration. They didnt want to make a pick because they didnt scout anyone besides those 5 players. Considering they are rebuilding, that is unconscionable.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/10/19/bul...uity-ownership/

My rule is still "If a really smart, good team is suggesting a trade with you, maybe you actually have an asset and need to second guess yourself"

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Patrick Beverley absolutely trolled Lonzo Ball last night. Ball was awful

Daddy Ball spazzed out. In postgame he was like "Who is Patrick Beverley?"

Well, he just shut your kid down. Maybe, learn

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
My rule is still "If a really smart, good team is suggesting a trade with you, maybe you actually have an asset and need to second guess yourself"

I wonder if GS made them agree to the trade before telling them the player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Between what Portis said the other day, and now LaVine, apparently Niko isn't responding to any of his teammates right now.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/zac...et-back-uniform

I'be heard stories about guys trying to text him, and I know it's 2017, but has anyone tried, I don't know, going to see him in person?

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
I'be heard stories about guys trying to text him, and I know it's 2017, but has anyone tried, I don't know, going to see him in person?

The other part of that quote leads me to believe that despite Bobby punching and injuring Niko the locker room is backing Portis.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
The other part of that quote leads me to believe that despite Bobby punching and injuring Niko the locker room is backing Portis.

I'm not buying that. Every player I see asked about it said they were both at fault but the punch crossed the line.

I think they are going to support Portis because he is still a teammate and they must to get passed it. But they all know what he did was not right, and I don't think some sort of popularity contest is going on either. I'm sure when Niko comes back, they will be saying how happy they are to have him back as well.

Reading between the lines it is either that or Niko is blaming the team at large for it happening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Reading between the lines it is either that or Niko is blaming the team at large for it happening.

Apparently he isn’t returning messages to teammates, and showed up to talk to front office with his agent the other day

Nick Friedell creates something like an 8 page term paper, 12-part story starting with the Rose-Bulls and outlining how things got this bad.

I gawked a bit at this one from Butler's trainer:

"0-82.worst culture in the league.I met drug dealers with better morals then their GM. He is a liar and everyone knows."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Nick Friedell creates something like an 8 page term paper, 12-part story starting with the Rose-Bulls and outlining how things got this bad.

I gawked a bit at this one from Butler's trainer:

Not a lot of blame on GarPax in there

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
Did you and I read the same article?

We did. Sorry you were under a rock when Butlers trainer blasted Garpax last year, but that article basically says "We had injuries, a normal parting with Thibs, and players are divas"

There is little to no criticism of how terrible the actual trade with the Thunder was, how they actually admitted they took the first deal offered for Butler last summer, how many truly terrible personnel moves they made to get them to the point that they are at right now. Nothing

Friedell is usually pretty negative on the Bulls so I'm surprised he didn't blast Gar / Pax. It seemed like a lot more of it had to do with the varying personalities and was almost more of a "Butler" crush job than anything else. There were a couple jabs at front office, but not near as much as just injuries, and players being diva's. You could argue the overall culture comes back on Gar/Pax, but Friedell didn't point the blame necessarily that way.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
We did. Sorry you were under a rock when Butlers trainer blasted Garpax last year, but that article basically says "We had injuries, a normal parting with Thibs, and players are divas"

There is little to no criticism of how terrible the actual trade with the Thunder was, how they actually admitted they took the first deal offered for Butler last summer, how many truly terrible personnel moves they made to get them to the point that they are at right now. Nothing

Tbh the real story is not able to be written by a guy like Friedell who still needs to keep some doors open for access.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
Tbh the real story is not able to be written by a guy like Friedell who still needs to keep some doors open for access.

I agree with that. And you can tell by Paxsons quotes throughout the article that he approved of it

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)

The big Chicago stories never come from local media. They bury it as a favor to the franchise so they get favors later.

They tried to create an environment based on competition and hard work with their young group. Bobby Portis has been working since the beginning of the off-season. Niko Mirotic showed up at the start of the season, signed, and was handed the starting job at PF. That's not Mirotic's fault by any means but it's absolutely a factor here. Add in the fact that Portis and Niko don't get along and they play the same position. The punch was 100% uncalled for but it's pretty easy to figure out how this all happened in hindsight.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)

Totally agree. That was a timeline piece. Nothing journalistic about it.

looks like there's nothing interesting about the Bulls anymore except airing their dirty laundry lolz

Butler didn’t always feel as if some members of the group were putting in the work that he was. According to multiple sources, one of the things that always irritated Butler, specifically regarding Noah, was the All-Star center’s propensity for showing up late to team activities, setting a poor example for younger players. “Yeah, if they didn’t like the way that I went about things, and I was pissed off because I know how hard I work and I want people to work as hard as I work, I’ll take that,” Butler says now.

After not speaking for more than a year, Noah and Butler patched things up this summer during some training sessions in California, according to sources. Noah says he and Rose still talk about how much they miss some of the good times they had with Thibodeau and their teammates in Chicago.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
I'll bite. I only watched first half but Lauri was pretty exciting.

Wow, I was just coming to post the same thing. Only saw the 1st quarter and then the highlights, but looks like he may be legit. The best shooter in the draft designation looks accurate 3 games into the season.