7/20 Games (Giolito, Kopech, Dunning)

KnightsOnMintSt

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:59 PM)
Eloy highlights:

https://twitter.com/bhallwfmy/status/888216258616983552

Kid has a huge frame, wow. He might have some issues with off speed stuff due to his longish load but then again his pitch recognition skills and zone command are evident in his slash line. Sox should let him get a taste of AA in August if keeps this up.

He still has less than 200 ABs in High A after being injured earlier in the year. IMO, he should just stay in High A the remainder of the year and play in the Arizona Fall League. Next year start him at AA and see what happens.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 01:49 AM)
seriously ohh no a 3K game where he hit a HR... what a piece of s***....after tonight's game .275/.362/.575 - .937 for July! people are sleeping on him and missing the forest through the trees.

I don't think people are sleeping on our first round pick from last year. I think people have legitimate concerns about his future. Although he has made strides as a catcher this year, he will never be more than average there. As a result, his offense HAS to carry him. Now the bar is lower for a catcher offensively, but instead of progressing offensively this year, he seems to have taken a step back due to serious contact issues.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 05:15 AM)
He still has less than 200 ABs in High A after being injured earlier in the year. IMO, he should just stay in High A the remainder of the year and play in the Arizona Fall League. Next year start him at AA and see what happens.

I don't think people are sleeping on our first round pick from last year. I think people have legitimate concerns about his future. Although he has made strides as a catcher this year, he will never be more than average there. As a result, his offense HAS to carry him. Now the bar is lower for a catcher offensively, but instead of progressing offensively this year, he seems to have taken a step back due to serious contact issues.

Why do think that Collins' defense could never be "more than average"? What limits him?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 05:54 AM)
Why do think that Collins' defense could never be "more than average"? What limits him?

I don't get that either. Everything I've read about Collins this year has been high praise for his defensive improvements and strong arm behind the plate. His BA has been less than expected but his defense has been better than expected, I'll take that trade off from a catcher.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 05:15 AM)

I think the concerns about his average are fair but he is still producing at the plate and at the hardest position on the diamond. I feel like people were saying the same thing with Flowers when he was in the system "he'll only ever be average", I didn't buy that then and with Collins and how many solid receivers this system for all its faults has produced, I don't buy it now. His pop time after making a small adjustment improved markedly and is backed up by the stats.

Maybe I'm spoiled from watching him in college. I'm use to him having more walks than k's. The low average doesn't bother me. The strike outs concern me. Especially all the 3-2 counts that end in swinging strikes.

And how can anyone knock his defensive strides? In one off-season he made a couple small adjustments and look where he's at now. Deep down I do believe he can do the same offensively.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
What would you call that? A 5LB Burger?

R-House on I-80 challenge to eat it all for free if not puking...the bread will get you.

Honestly zero interest in any burger over 1/2 pound.

Edited by caulfield12

MLB pipeline states; "He isn't very fluid, which detracts from his average arm strength, and his receiving and blocking skills are spotty".

I don't understand how a guy who doesn't have quick feet and very strong, accurate arm, can throw out 40% of base stealers.

He has also been working very hard on pitch framing and is apparently making very good progress there. You can see why the Sox believe he has good potential to stick, behind the plate.

Collins leads the team in walks, with 63 and therefore his OBP is a very respectable .363. There's also not much to complain about his .424 slugging %. If he becomes a good defensive catcher, I'd be very happy with a left handed power hitter, with a good eye. I also suspect that

he will improve his contact rate, and get his average up. You can add me to the list of those who think that it's way too earlier to be very discouraged over his progress.

QUOTE (Anderdale @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
Maybe I'm spoiled from watching him in college. I'm use to him having more walks than k's. The low average doesn't bother me. The strike outs concern me. Especially all the 3-2 counts that end in swinging strikes.

And how can anyone knock his defensive strides? In one off-season he made a couple small adjustments and look where he's at now. Deep down I do believe he can do the same offensively.

Exactly, I think this offseason they'll have him work on his swing and try to fix the hitch.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 07:34 AM)
MLB pipeline states; "He isn't very fluid, which detracts from his average arm strength, and his receiving and blocking skills are spotty".

I don't understand how a guy who doesn't have quick feet and very strong, accurate arm, can throw out 40% of base stealers.

He has also been working very hard on pitch framing and is apparently making very good progress there. You can see why the Sox believe he has good potential to stick, behind the plate.

Collins leads the team in walks, with 63 and therefore his OBP is a very respectable .363. There's also not much to complain about his .424 slugging %. If he becomes a good defensive catcher, I'd be very happy with a left handed power hitter, with a good eye. I also suspect that

he will improve his contact rate, and get his average up. You can add me to the list of those who think that it's way too earlier to be very discouraged over his progress.

Pipeline has gotten better but the info can be pretty stale. He changed his footwork and mechanics this offseason and focused on getting lighter on his feet.

Yeah, Flowers was supposed to be average at best behind the plate but the Sox developed him into a good defensive catcher.

If Collins has a good OBP, pop and can give us good defense I will take that every single day of the week.

This is where the rebuilding gets tough. When all the major trade chips are gone and there's a ton of scrutiny on the guys in the system. Everyone needs to relax and stop pushing the panic button every time a guy struggles for an extended period of time.

If you thought they'd hit on most of these guys you're going to be disappointed. It's a crap-shoot and the process isn't linear. Take a deep breath and realize you'll likely see many guys fail, and many guys that do succeed take odd paths.