07/25 GT: Sox @ Cubs game 2, 1:20 PM

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
Rodon really sucks so far this year. Hope he shows improvement as he's another guy we need to be good for the rebuild to work

He had no spring training and missed most of the year dude. Gotta give him time. The stuff is still electric

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
It is 5 sandwiches!

However, there is a loophole.

Joe stated that he must have at least 550 plate appearances.

He is clearly playing hurt too.

And Hawk just said he doesn't get bothered by the losing this year. I wonder if this knocks Greg and Elrockin down a few pegs. :lol:

Sure, Carlos could be a trade chip, if he turns things around now. But while Quintana and Sale had both many years of control and lengthy track records (not to mention excellent durability in Q's case), Rodon has neither. He is injury prone, he walks too many people and he's far too hittable. Not much of a trade chip anytime soon.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
He had no spring training and missed most of the year dude. Gotta give him time. The stuff is still electric

It's more that the injury really killed what should have been his year to shine. Not giving up on him at all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
It's more that the injury really killed what should have been his year to shine. Not giving up on him at all.

Ok good because he has made hitters look silly this year when he wants to, but lacks the fastball command right now. If he figures that out, we're talking top 10 pitcher in the game.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
The stuff does still seem to be there. He's made hitters look silly this year, but clearly doesn't have a great feel for his pitches through stretches. In theory, that would make sense given his very limited workload in 2017.

I think if he can have a strong 3-4 starts to end the season, we should feel mildly excited about Rodon heading into 2018

I feel like he hasn't learned anything about how to pitch or get outs during the 3 years he's been up. He still seems like he's trying to overpower people with stuff, he still seems like he's throwing the exact same mix of pitches he did in 2015 and trying to work hitters the exact same way. Does he have anything new since then? Do you see him attacking hitters any differently?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
This guy contreras is a f***ing cocksucker.

That's a little extreme but I know what you meant.dude definitely rubs people the wrong way with his excessive cockiness

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
The stuff does still seem to be there. He's made hitters look silly this year, but clearly doesn't have a great feel for his pitches through stretches. In theory, that would make sense given his very limited workload in 2017.

I think if he can have a strong 3-4 starts to end the season, we should feel mildly excited about Rodon heading into 2018

There are clear mechanical problems with him. He loses his release point and landing spot at various stretches and then isn't able to consistently get the ball anywhere near where he wants it to go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
I feel like he hasn't learned anything about how to pitch or get outs during the 3 years he's been up. He still seems like he's trying to overpower people with stuff, he still seems like he's throwing the exact same mix of pitches he did in 2015 and trying to work hitters the exact same way. Does he have anything new since then? Do you see him attacking hitters any differently?

I disagree, during that great stretch he had in July-August last year he was clearly mixing in the changeup pretty frequently when in 2015 he barely threw the pitch at all.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carlos-rodo...a-step-forward/

This article covers it more. After the All-Star Break last year he was throwing his changeup nearly 20% of the time but before the All Star break it was just 6% of the time.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:44 PM)
I disagree, during that great stretch he had in July-August last year he was clearly mixing in the changeup pretty frequently when in 2015 he barely threw the pitch at all.

This article covers it more. After the All-Star Break last year he was throwing his changeup nearly 20% of the time but before the All Star break it was just 6% of the time.

And this year he's back to throwing it 10% of the time, so overall he's thrown it 9% of the time in 2015, 10% of the time in 2016, and 10% of the time in 2017.

So he had a few game stretch where he tried something different and it worked, and then he stopped it and went back to what he did when he came up.

Where am I missing something?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:44 PM)

Rodon's line today is so strange, he's getting strikeouts but also getting hit hard and walking batters. Screams inconsistency to me and not hitting his spots, not a lack of stuff.

This seems mental to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)
And this year he's back to throwing it 10% of the time, so overall he's thrown it 9% of the time in 2015, 10% of the time in 2016, and 10% of the time in 2017.

So he had a few game stretch where he tried something different and it worked, and then he stopped it and went back to what he did when he came up.

Where am I missing something?

With his arm injury, and the down time, he sort of lost the change up. He is working on it pretty hard during side sessions. He had it working vs. Oakland, and knows he needs it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
Kris Bryant looks overmatched against Rodon

When Rodon spots his fastball and gets ahead he's a very good pitcher. When he can't throw anything for a strike he stinks. I get that he's coming off injury but this has been the theme of his entire career.