Melky Cabrera Traded To Royals

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
He was horrid until this season but of course everybody credits him for this season and praises him for bringing back minimal return.

However I am on record as saying the Melkman won me over!! I do applaud him forever for taking that ball off the chin HARD, staying in the box and getting a hit. In a season where his team is this pathetic, it told me a lot that rich Melky was willing to stay in the game after getting his jaw rattled like that.

MELKY is da man. Before this year I despised him however.

He hit .296 last year and had an .800 OPS. Maybe they praised him because they watch the games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
This is a serious question. With all the multiple prospects acquired in trades, and the draft picks, especially if in the next 2 years they draft a guy who can play relatively quickly, are the White Sox looking at a 40 man roster crunch in a couple of years?

yes, its a big reason i think they release putnam, hes a super two and has two more years of ARB left.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 09:09 PM)
yes, its a big reason i think they release putnam, hes a super two and has two more years of ARB left.

Putnam aint getting released with 2 years of control left

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
Putnam aint getting released with 2 years of control left

One year of control is gone due to surgery now. So essentially they would have to pay him those last two years of arbitration salary to pitch on a bad to mediocre 2019 team which has all of this pitching in the pipeline.

Seems pretty wasteful to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
One year of control is gone due to surgery now. So essentially they would have to pay him those last two years of arbitration salary to pitch on a bad to mediocre 2019 team which has all of this pitching in the pipeline.

Seems pretty wasteful to me.

thank you, additionally hes taking up a 40man spot and ARB 3 & 4 aren't cheap even with his down year. He'll be gone.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
That's true but if they keep him in the off-season, he's back on the 40-man.

This is accurate. There comes a point where everyone either has to be on the 40 man roster, or officially /released/DFA'd/non-tendered. The disabled lists don't open up until very late into spring training. Instead of taking up a spot where either we could claim someone from a team looking to create roster room, or someone would could be a Rule 5 pick, I think Putnam goes. When you look at his situation along with the White Sox situation, it doesn't make much sense to pay him to hold up a roster spot for one year of control.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
This is accurate. There comes a point where everyone either has to be on the 40 man roster, or officially /released/DFA'd/non-tendered. The disabled lists don't open up until very late into spring training. Instead of taking up a spot where either we could claim someone from a team looking to create roster room, or someone would could be a Rule 5 pick, I think Putnam goes. When you look at his situation along with the White Sox situation, it doesn't make much sense to pay him to hold up a roster spot for one year of control.

Yep, this is how I see it too. He's out until 2019, and come 2019 I think the Sox will be looking more towards actually fielding a competitive team, even if it's not quite there. Can you really count on a guy coming off Tommy John who has never shown a propensity towards staying healthy? And even if they aren't competitive enough, what are you going to get for a 32 year old injury-prone reliever set for free agency?

I could see non-tendering and signing a minor league contract, but I think he'd prefer to take an opportunity elsewhere. I'm also not Zach Putnam, and he's actually been successful with the Sox and never anyone else, so maybe he'd be interested in that, having the Sox organization look after him during his recovery.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Yep, this is how I see it too. He's out until 2019, and come 2019 I think the Sox will be looking more towards actually fielding a competitive team, even if it's not quite there. Can you really count on a guy coming off Tommy John who has never shown a propensity towards staying healthy? And even if they aren't competitive enough, what are you going to get for a 32 year old injury-prone reliever set for free agency?

I could see non-tendering and signing a minor league contract, but I think he'd prefer to take an opportunity elsewhere. I'm also not Zach Putnam, and he's actually been successful with the Sox and never anyone else, so maybe he'd be interested in that, having the Sox organization look after him during his recovery.

This seems to be sort of common with guys. You see them get released and then signed to a minor league deal just as a formality to take them off the 40-man. It's something they would talk about and agree to first before just doing it (if the Sox even want to that is).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
This seems to be sort of common with guys. You see them get released and then signed to a minor league deal just as a formality to take them off the 40-man. It's something they would talk about and agree to first before just doing it (if the Sox even want to that is).

And that's the key. I don't have the exact number in front of me, but they've brought in close to 10 new pitchers, and I see them being very active on the minor league free agent market as well, as said minor leaguers will see the Sox as an opportunity to get a chance in the majors. They may want to focus their time on developing the pitchers they have in house as opposed to rehabbing a reliever on the wrong side of 30 who has a tendency of getting injured as soon as he gets healthy. He's not a bad pitcher though, and he's not taking up a roster spot, so I don't know what to think exactly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)

I'd have no objections to them bringing him back on a minor league deal at all. With his injury history I doubt he gets a major league deal.

Probably just coincidence but the Royals haven't been playing well since the Melky came aboard. If they are committed to playing Gordon every day, the Melkster doesn't really help them much cause Bonifacio was doing a Melky-like job playing every day. I think they are going to play Gordon almost every day so that means Melky replaces Bonifacio who wasn't that bad as a regular.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
This is my favorite of the minor July trades (among Cabrera, Jennings, Swarzak). At least one of the pitchers is a legit prospect, which is nice return.

Cordell and Gillespie are better prospects than Puckett.

• 1 month later...

So Melky in his age 32 season hitting .284, 17, 79 and has good advanced stats. Never been one of my favorites until this season when he stayed in the game despite getting hit in the face with a ball.

I won't blast him because except for the BA he has Avi-like numbers but in this message board world, Melky is certainly beloved by Sox fans while a younger guy like Davidson who is trying to figure it out is not so loved. Although the poster who started the thread did praise him for his perseverance and putting up some decent numbers in his first season.

So I'm assuming we all want Melky back even at 33? Cause that's a guy we like, right? I guess if he were to get too much money he'd be hated on the board and we'd want no part of him, but I'm assuming everybody is thinking 2 years about 5-6 million a year which is OK in Sox fanland.