2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 12:23 PM)
They should have just fired fox last year, it was clear he wasn’t what was need d.

I don’t buy he didn’t have a chance, he was just bad. Doesn’t mean he could have won a super bowl, but in 3 years pretty much any coach should be able to cobble an 8 win season, unless they are bad or a browns coach.

No receivers and had to start Glennon. Loggans calling plays was a huge error, but it is hard to score withwhat the Bears had to work with personnel wise,

Fox had no control of the roster. I was watching a discussion saying the Bears candidate pool will be limited due to Pace having total control of the roster, big names are longshots at best. but that might be better for the Bears.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 12:32 PM)
No receivers and had to start Glennon. Loggans calling plays was a huge error, but it is hard to score withwhat the Bears had to work with personnel wise,

Fox had no control of the roster. I was watching a discussion saying the Bears candidate pool will be limited due to Pace having total control of the roster, big names are longshots at best. but that might be better for the Bears.

Every team has limitations. Fox didn’t know how to use his strengths and instead constantly just tried to limit his weaknesses. He failed. 2nd worst win percentage in bears history. Lotta bad rosters in this org.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 12:23 PM)
They should have just fired fox last year, it was clear he wasn't what was need d.

I don't buy he didn't have a chance, he was just bad. Doesn't mean he could have won a super bowl, but in 3 years pretty much any coach should be able to cobble an 8 win season, unless they are bad or a browns coach.

This team had zero chance at 8 wins. This offense was mediocre if every single starter stayed healthy. With any injuries they were terrible. The defense also completely lacks depth, though the starters are at least decent. This was a 5 or 6 win team in terms of talent, and that is what they played to. They need depth and more offensive weapons really badly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 01:09 PM)
Why is giants such a good job again?

Like Chicago...big market, great tradition, loyal fan base....

NOT like Chicago....not owned by McCaskeys

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 12:37 PM)
This team had zero chance at 8 wins. This offense was mediocre if every single starter stayed healthy. With any injuries they were terrible. The defense also completely lacks depth, though the starters are at least decent. This was a 5 or 6 win team in terms of talent, and that is what they played to. They need depth and more offensive weapons really badly.

Had they beaten winnable games against weaker talent in GB at home or SF, they’d be 7-9. See how easy it is to show how a mediocre/bad team can get there? Over a 3 year period, yes, a coach should hit it once. Fox was just bad. He avsolutely has a chance, but his badness ruined it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 12:37 PM)

I agree. Fox was made a scapegoat, but Pace equally deserves to be fired. 5 of 6 teams worse than the Bears when Pace took over made the playoffs is the stat IIRC. Pace gave away draft picks when a rebuilding team should hoard them and try to acquire more. His FA signings have pretty much sucked.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 12:53 PM)
Had they beaten winnable games against weaker talent in GB at home or SF, they’d be 7-9. See how easy it is to show how a mediocre/bad team can get there? Over a 3 year period, yes, a coach should hit it once. Fox was just bad. He avsolutely has a chance, but his badness ruined it.

They would have had to win 10 to make the playoffs. No chance any coach in the NFL could have got the Bears to 10 wins in 2017.

Lovie got fired for going 10-6. 27-53 since.

Edited by Dick Allen

Whether Pace deserved to go with Fox is debatable depending on whether you believe the decision to hire Fox was out of Pace’s hands. Regardless, there is no more excuses for Pace after this season, it’s all on him.

John fox may very well have been fired regardless because priority #1 is developing Trubisky which he cannot do, but John Fox made that very easy because he was so bad.

Funny thing about good nfl coaches, they tend to make the talent on their teams look a lot better.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 01:09 PM)
John fox may very well have been fired regardless because priority #1 is developing Trubisky which he cannot do, but John Fox made that very easy because he was so bad.

Funny thing about good nfl coaches, they tend to make the talent on their teams look a lot better.

The funniest thing about good NFL coaches is they all have franchise QBs. Fox was pretty good when he had one.

I have not been a fan of what Pace has done so far, but he deserves two more years to build a winner around Trubisky. If Mitch ultimately flops or this team isn’t a serious playoff threat by 2019, then Pace needs to be shown the door. With a handpicked QB & coach and tons of cap space there is simply no more excuses for him. After competing ignoring the WR position last offseason, I have my no doubts in him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 01:16 PM)
The funniest thing about good NFL coaches is they all have franchise QBs. Fox was pretty good when he had one.

Sounds good but Arians got to 8 wins with Blaine Gabbert and without his franchise RB. The Vikings are 2 seeds with Case Keenum. Bills in playoffs with Tyrod Taylor.

Like I said, Fox isn’t first coach to deal with poor talent.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 01:21 PM)
Sounds good but Arians got to 8 wins with Blaine Gabbert and without his franchise RB. The Vikings are 2 seeds with Case Keenum. Bills in playoffs with Tyrod Taylor.

Like I said, Fox isn’t first coach to deal with poor talent.

Once in a while it works, but to be consistently good, you need a Big time QB. 8-8 isn't a playoff team. At this point, it's better the Bears are 5-11 and not 8-8. If they were 8-8, Fox would still be fired and they would have the same holes in the roster.

Why are you basically giving Pace a pass? You are saying a coach should win even with a s***ty roster, but what about the guy responsible for the roster?Considering how high his draft position has been, isn't it a problem the only guys you can definitely say we're hits at this point are Howard 5th round, Cohen 4th round, Jackson 3rd round? Sure Trubisky could be a bit hit, Floyd may become one, but not if he has probable s staying on the field. Everyone else, meh. Hicks was a great signing, but look at all the horrible signings. And I still don't understand the low bid for Jeffery.

I don't think making as big of an investment in Trubisky should buy this guy a couple of years. Results better come in 2018. If it is more of the same, he has to go. If the Bears suck because White, Floyd, Long and a few other chronically injured players get hurt, that is no excuse.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 03:31 PM)
Once in a while it works, but to be consistently good, you need a Big time QB. 8-8 isn't a playoff team. At this point, it's better the Bears are 5-11 and not 8-8. If they were 8-8, Fox would still be fired and they would have the same holes in the roster.

Why are you basically giving Pace a pass? You are saying a coach should win even with a s***ty roster, but what about the guy responsible for the roster?Considering how high his draft position has been, isn't it a problem the only guys you can definitely say we're hits at this point are Howard 5th round, Cohen 4th round, Jackson 3rd round? Sure Trubisky could be a bit hit, Floyd may become one, but not if he has probable s staying on the field. Everyone else, meh. Hicks was a great signing, but look at all the horrible signings. And I still don't understand the low bid for Jeffery.

I don't think making as big of an investment in Trubisky should buy this guy a couple of years. Results better come in 2018. If it is more of the same, he has to go. If the Bears suck because White, Floyd, Long and a few other chronically injured players get hurt, that is no excuse.

He's had 3 drafts so far right? Any of them you consider to be a great draft? At some point you should get one just by flipping a coin if you're doing an average job.

I’m not giving Ryan pace a free pass, I just don’t think because John Fox wasn’t handed a perfect team it means that actually he was a good coach. A coach worse than him could have gotten the same results out of the bears the last 3 years.

Sometimes saying people were bad at something and it not mean that everyone else was great at something.

But yes I think we have the makings of a good young defense and have an above average offensive line and run game moving forward.

While I usually agree with that, it seems like the tide has changed a little recently. Did Jared Goff become a franchise QB overnight or is he getting coached up so well? The Vikings have had Sam Bradford and Case Keenum all year and are the 2 seed. None of the 4 AFC quarterbacks playing this weekend are franchise QBs by any means.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 03:02 PM)
While I usually agree with that, it seems like the tide has changed a little recently. Did Jared Goff become a franchise QB overnight or is he getting coached up so well? The Vikings have had Sam Bradford and Case Keenum all year and are the 2 seed. None of the 4 AFC quarterbacks playing this weekend are franchise QBs by any means.

From the highlights I watched it seemed like Jared Goff massively improved his mechanics last offseason and that was a key step in what he did this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 02:02 PM)

As I stated, there are exceptions here and there but not over a decent period of time. A couple of these coaches in the playoffs this year with an average at best QB will probably be looking for a job a year or two from now. The teams with sustained success all have one thing in common besides someone thought of as an elite coach.

On the flip side, who was the last coach to miss playoffs 3 years in a row with a franchise QB?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 02:53 PM)
From the highlights I watched it seemed like Jared Goff massively improved his mechanics last offseason and that was a key step in what he did this year.

Interesting. I hadn't watched them that closely, but his.improvement combined with Gurley made me.think coaching played a big part. Then again, everyone is an improvement over Mr. 8-8 Jeff Fisher