2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
Why would anyone hire that bum?

Honestly...if I were the Browns, it would be a bad hire. He can stabilize the culture, etc. He won't be great, but getting them to mediocre and embedding a culture change would bring value to the Browns.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
Honestly...if I were the Browns, it would be a bad hire. He can stabilize the culture, etc. He won't be great, but getting them to mediocre and embedding a culture change would bring value to the Browns.

I'd be pissed as hell as a Browns fan if they went out of their way to get a guy whose ceiling is mediocrity. Just look at the Rams who hired a young coach with charisma and knows their Xs and Os. Why wouldn't you try to emulate that instead of rehashing another washed up coach?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
I'd be pissed as hell as a Browns fan if they went out of their way to get a guy whose ceiling is mediocrity. Just look at the Rams who hired a young coach with charisma and knows their Xs and Os. Why wouldn't you try to emulate that instead of rehashing another washed up coach?

For a team that has won one game in two seasons, mediocrity is a damned good start.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 01:01 PM)

Isn't this what everyone said about Fox when he was hired?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 07:59 AM)
Kyle Long was in pretty bad shape when they shut him down. He just had neck surgery

And still has 2 more surgeries to go. Reminds me alot of Tommie Harris. Potential hall of fame type player who might/will be ruined by injuries.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
And still has 2 more surgeries to go. Reminds me alot of Tommie Harris. Potential hall of fame type player who might/will be ruined by injuries.

This is what I am starting to think. We will see after he gets the other two, but it seems he is shutdown for some injury every season now. Some people just seem susceptible to injuries, even the freak ones, more than others. At some point, there has to be a limit on how many repairs to a body surgeons can make and still have that player be anywhere near optimal ability.

Tommie Harris's career was really ruined by one injury, his hamstring tore off the bone. He never regained the explosion that made him special. Hopefully Kyle Long can get this neck and shoulder issue fixed (i believe the third injury is the hand/fingers that was broken), have extra time to let his ankle heal and come back ready to go next year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
I don't think the Bears are that far away. And I do think they have drastically improved / enhanced their culture.

They need offensive line help, skill position help, pash rushers, maybe another DB or 2. Probably a kicker. There are still a lot of holes. Trubisky developing though can make up for being short in other areas. And in the NFL, if you play your cards right, you are only 2 years away from the playoffs at your lowest point.

Edited by Dick Allen

Patrick Finley‏Verified account @patrickfinley 60m60 minutes ago #Bears announce the Jordan Howard, Kyle Long (IR), Tarik Cohen and Akiem Hicks are Pro Bowl alternates. Cohen and Long are 2nd alternates. Hicks is a fourth alternate — which is a crime. They didn't specify on Howard, but he sounds like a 1st or 2nd.

Davante Adams got paid! So much for the bears signing him this off-season.

@AdamSchefter More details on Davante Adams' new 4-year deal with the Packers: Deal is worth $58.75 million, including $18 million signing bonus and includes $32 million in the first two years, per source.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
Davante Adams got paid! So much for the bears signing him this off-season.

@AdamSchefter More details on Davante Adams' new 4-year deal with the Packers: Deal is worth $58.75 million, including $18 million signing bonus and includes $32 million in the first two years, per source.

Landry, Robinson, Lee, Richardson, and Watkins are all good options still

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Landry, Robinson, Lee, Richardson, and Watkins are all good options still

Ideally on the FA market you sign your #2 and #3 receivers. Your first round draft pick should be the best receiver available, and you should consider another receiver in round 3 or 4 with where this roster is. If some of that works out, by 2020 you've fully rebuilt this corps, but it's going to take time and coaching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 10:45 PM)
Ideally on the FA market you sign your #2 and #3 receivers. Your first round draft pick should be the best receiver available, and you should consider another receiver in round 3 or 4 with where this roster is. If some of that works out, by 2020 you've fully rebuilt this corps, but it's going to take time and coaching.

You don't need THAT many WR's. Sign one of those FA guys, draft a Will Fuller type burner in the draft (preferably later round) and let Meredith (who alot of us, including the Bears, like alot) come back and be a #2 type. I wouldn't be opposed to resigning Wright and have him be your #4 either, depending on what people think of Kevin White ever being healthy..

Bears really need to protect Mitch. Gotta get OL addressed as well as help for Floyd at DE. Probably CB with one of Fuller and/or Prince walking and LB.

We need OL, DE, CB with WR of course and then hope Shaheen takes a big step next season.

Edited by SoxAce