Are we allowed to get nervous about Moncada at this point?

ron883

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
IIRC. I think last winter Hahn indicated that he wanted to rebuild sooner but JR and KW wanted to go for it. I don't think KW was onboard with the idea until the 2016 unraveled on them and that's when KW changed his tune which eventually convinced JR to finally rebuild.

No, it was JR all the way. I 100% believe Williams was on board, but Reinsdorf said "give it one more try," basically because they'd still be able to maximize the value of their roster if they didn't do anything that year, depending on injuries.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
IIRC. I think last winter Hahn indicated that he wanted to rebuild sooner but JR and KW wanted to go for it. I don't think KW was onboard with the idea until the 2016 unraveled on them and that's when KW changed his tune which eventually convinced JR to finally rebuild.

I have not seen anything that said Williams opposed a rebuild. In fact I remember seeing that Kenny had wanted to rebuild at times, but was overruled.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
No, it was JR all the way. I 100% believe Williams was on board, but Reinsdorf said "give it one more try," basically because they'd still be able to maximize the value of their roster if they didn't do anything that year, depending on injuries.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
I have not seen anything that said Williams opposed a rebuild. In fact I remember seeing that Kenny had wanted to rebuild at times, but was overruled.

Could be wrong but I thought Hahn had said last winter that he wanted to rebuild before the Shark trade and Robertson/Melky signings but those acquisitions were a last ditch effort by KW and JR.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
Could be wrong but I thought Hahn had said last winter that he wanted to rebuild before the Shark trade and Robertson/Melky signings but those acquisitions were a last ditch effort by KW and JR.

I do not remember seeing Kenny Williams attached to that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
I do not remember seeing Kenny Williams attached to that.

Pretty sure this is what I'm vaguely remembering from.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/02/whit...rebuild-qa.html

In our Q&A one year ago, GM Rick Hahn admitted that he considered a full rebuild for his Chicago White Sox. But with the encouragement of executive vice president Ken Williams and owner Jerry Reinsdorf, he reloaded the team in 2016 for one more run at a title. That effort got off to a scorching start, with the White Sox surging to a 23-10 record in early May that found them second only to the Cubs in all of baseball.

Moncada has his average up over .240 and a .769 OPS with a majorly upward trend. Obviously, these are all coming off his recent terror but great to these flashes. He's put up a 1.5 WAR in 43 games. Small sample size, but over 162 games that would be a 5.6 WAR. Lots of reasons to be excited about Yoan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
Moncada has his average up over .240 and a .769 OPS with a majorly upward trend. Obviously, these are all coming off his recent terror but great to these flashes. He's put up a 1.5 WAR in 43 games. Small sample size, but over 162 games that would be a 5.6 WAR. Lots of reasons to be excited about Yoan.

Yessir!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
Add in Giolito pitching well. Hell, even Fulmer (who I really hope makes me eat crow) has had some good outings. Very much happy with the progress being made.

As good as fulmers numbers have looked, I don't have faith in him. He'll be lucky to be a successful reliever. Id love for him to make me eat crow, but I don't forsee that happening.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
As good as fulmers numbers have looked, I don't have faith in him. He'll be lucky to be a successful reliever. Id love for him to make me eat crow, but I don't forsee that happening.

Well at least there is a nice line in the minors that can replace him now, whereas last year we were like "Fulmer, you are our only hope "

I think giolito will be in line for some blowouts if he can't locate his offspeed continously. What gives me hope is he isn't having fine games when he has his stuff, he's having dominant games when he does. His fine games are just working with fastball changeup. I mean, being able to consistently find his curve isn't a small step, but he hasn't lost fastball location throughout an entire game. That's really great.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
I think giolito will be in line for some blowouts if he can't locate his offspeed continously. What gives me hope is he isn't having fine games when he has his stuff, he's having dominant games when he does. His fine games are just working with fastball changeup. I mean, being able to consistently find his curve isn't a small step, but he hasn't lost fastball location throughout an entire game. That's really great.

I like the fact that he's been able to pitch quality games without his best stuff. I think he will find his off-speed stuff and the rest will work. He'll always be prone to some games where he gives up a lot of HR's though, imo. Just part of his stuff, but his ability to pitch, etc, is nice and I think there is some upside in the fact that he is still getting his mechanics straightened out from the Nationals massively screwing him up.

That .186 BABIP and 90% LOB isn't going to last and I'd like to see him get more Ks (though the swinging strike% seems fine) but obviously it's hard not to be encouraged by him so far. The lack of walks is nice to see, though when he misses his location he seems to miss by a lot. The curveball doesn't look that great but that might not matter because his changeup looks really good.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
That .186 BABIP and 90% LOB isn't going to last and I'd like to see him get more Ks (though the swinging strike% seems fine) but obviously it's hard not to be encouraged by him so far. The lack of walks is nice to see, though when he misses his location he seems to miss by a lot. The curveball doesn't look that great but that might not matter because his changeup looks really good.

Yeah this is true. When he gets to 3 balls, maybe he goes for locations he knows he can hit. But may leave him tendencies that hitters exploit.

Overall, if you'd have told me that this is how giolito would look in the bigs after his April, I'd have obviously been very happy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Yeah this is true. When he gets to 3 balls, maybe he goes for locations he knows he can hit. But may leave him tendencies that hitters exploit.

Overall, if you'd have told me that this is how giolito would look in the bigs after his April, I'd have obviously been very happy.

Hell, after most of the season lol

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)

Wasn't his curveball supposed to be his best pitch in the minors? I'm not disagreeing with you on how it's looked for us, but I swear that everything I've read listed it as plus plus.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Wasn't his curveball supposed to be his best pitch in the minors? I'm not disagreeing with you on how it's looked for us, but I swear that everything I've read listed it as plus plus.

Maybe it hasn't come back to him since the Nats messed with his mechanics

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Maybe it hasn't come back to him since the Nats messed with his mechanics

Agree with you, Kyle. Definitely, think part of this is he is still battling the impacts of how badly the Nats messed him up. I presume part of it is also due to MLB hitters being more disciplined, etc. He needs to learn how to throw the curve effectively at the major league level and right now he's struggling with the consistency of the pitch but also where to locate it. I think with time we'll see that pitch come around and that is where the upside comes in. If things work right, he'll be our #3 (behind Rodon and Kopech) with those two being legit front of the rotation guys and Gio being a really really good #3 (i.e, someone who is a #2 on most teams) and then you have Lopez and other combinations behind. Of course, injuries/sucking could derail all of this quickly.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)

I remember comments when he was in high school on how it was the best amateur curve people have ever seen.

I guess the good news is if he doesn't get a good curve off it is not hanging in the zone...it's hitting the dirt 5 feet in front of the batter.

Regarding Giolito's curve, did anyone notice he introduced a new iteration of it yesterday? In his previous 5 starts, I remember it being almost strictly 12-6. Yesterday, he was throwing more of a slurvy curve, especially through the first few innings. He did mix in the 12-6 as well, but the new one seemed to have more lateral movement.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
Regarding Giolito's curve, did anyone notice he introduced a new iteration of it yesterday? In his previous 5 starts, I remember it being almost strictly 12-6. Yesterday, he was throwing more of a slurvy curve, especially through the first few innings. He did mix in the 12-6 as well, but the new one seemed to have more lateral movement.

I noticed it too but ( could be wrong ) the movement and velocity is more like a slider. Could be trying add the slider to his repertoire to help compensate for the currently inconsistent curve ball?