Are we allowed to get nervous about Moncada at this point?

ron883

Abreu recently suggested Moncada try a lighter bat, and the White Sox veteran had some shipped for the rookie second baseman to Kansas City to begin the Sox's 10-game trip Monday.

Since he used them Monday, Moncada has had three multi-hit games in four tries and extended his hitting streak to six. That included a career-high four hits in a 17-7 victory over the Tigers.

Moncada added a pair of walks and a strikeout to reach base six times and scored a franchise record-tying five runs. The last Sox player to score five runs was Tim Raines in 1994.

"My swing is more fluid, and I feel stronger with my swing with these bats," Moncada said though a team interpreter

The Abreu impact on the young new players like Moncada cannot be understated. He is one of the players I wouldn't trade at this point. I think his value to mentoring young players is more valuable than any possible return he could provide at this point.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
The Abreu impact on the young new players like Moncada cannot be understated. He is one of the players I wouldn't trade at this point. I think his value to mentoring young players is more valuable than any possible return he could provide at this point.

Stories like that make me wonder how many players would be much better hitters if they just used a slightly heavier or lighter bat.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)

100% agree. He's just too damn valuable to the organization. Would need an Eloy caliber prospect to move him and that's not happening. I'm very hopeful he'll be around and be the leader for our next good team.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)

I absolutely agree. But I am also left w a little sour taste. Where the hell is the coaching staff that a player sees something they should be seeing as well.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
I absolutely agree. But I am also left w a little sour taste. Where the hell is the coaching staff that a player sees something they should be seeing as well.

Ugh. Realize that sometimes it just takes hearing something from a different person a different way can make all of the difference. Just because it happened after Abreu said it doesn't mean it hasn't been said already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
Ugh. Realize that sometimes it just takes hearing something from a different person a different way can make all of the difference. Just because it happened after Abreu said it doesn't mean it hasn't been said already.

Or that the whole thing is just a talking point that the players enjoy, because it's realer to them than looking at his swinging inside zone percentage or something. Jose is without a doubt a positive influence on the clubhouse and that is worth something beyond his on field play. That said, this whole "it was the bat the whole time" thing is just fluff for the players and media and some fans to enjoy. We want to assign narrative to things. Human nature.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

:Realize that sometimes it just takes hearing something from a different person a different way can make all of the difference. Just because it happened after Abreu said it doesn't mean it hasn't been said already.

I agree. Watching someone who has been through it and is a contemporary makes sense.

This was a hire I wish we made in the offseason Ron Washington for an infield instructor. Maybe this is currently happening with the sox. But hiring one of the best fielding guru's and just attaching him to the next generation of infield talent can't hurt. Imagine Moncada and Anderson just working with Wash for the better part of a year.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)

Agree. But a young player who is "really struggling" and does not try switching bats on the suggestion of the coaching staff seems a little far-fetched. Now maybe the coaching staff came up w the idea and asked Abreu to be the messenger. What would you think would happen if Coop makes a suggestion to Lopez, Giolito or Fulmer and they decide to ignore it???

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
Agree. But a young player who is "really struggling" and does not try switching bats on the suggestion of the coaching staff seems a little far-fetched. Now maybe the coaching staff came up w the idea and asked Abreu to be the messenger. What would you think would happen if Coop makes a suggestion to Lopez, Giolito or Fulmer and they decide to ignore it???

Players not listening to coaching happens all of the time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Players not listening to coaching happens all of the time.

Rookies struggling and not listening to coaches should not happen. Remember when Moncada screwed up in Boston during a pennant race last year he was benched for the last 3 weeks.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
Where did the idea of Moncada not listening to coaches enter into the conversation? That's quite a leap.

From the response "Players not listening to coaching happens all of the time." to the question why didn't the coaches suggest a different bat to Moncada.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
There are a million reasons why Steverson didn't mention it and Abreu did. To overthink how it happened will cause a brain aneurysm. Be glad it was suggested by anyone and move on.

Yes.

A similar thing happened in 2005 when El Duque had a talk with Jose Contreras. He got him to pitch like he pitched in Cuba, and Contreras became the ace.

Who knows what this lighter bat will mean in the long run? Right now it looks promising, but September games against bad teams isn't much different than spring training. I'm hopeful it means more contact, because if it does, it probably is going to be hard to keep the kid off all star teams.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 02:47 PM)
Rookies struggling and not listening to coaches should not happen. Remember when Moncada screwed up in Boston during a pennant race last year he was benched for the last 3 weeks.

No, but it does all the time. Some younger players either think they know it all or are too afraid to try anything different than what has had success for them.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
Yes this is 100% why I think Fulmer was called up last year.

He was called up when the bullpen was in shambles. I still believe it was #3 of Rick Hahn's desperation moves - James Shields (and a freebie in Miguel Gonzalez) to save his competitive rotation, Tim Anderson to save his competitive infield, and we need bullpen help and we're a competitive team so why not?

They might have had the other part cross their minds, but Rick Hahn spent a full month making desperation moves and we're still wishing we had 1 of them back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
He was called up when the bullpen was in shambles. I still believe it was #3 of Rick Hahn's desperation moves - James Shields (and a freebie in Miguel Gonzalez) to save his competitive rotation, Tim Anderson to save his competitive infield, and we need bullpen help and we're a competitive team so why not?

They might have had the other part cross their minds, but Rick Hahn spent a full month making desperation moves and we're still wishing we had 1 of them back.

The one time I use Greg-logic is here. I think those were all JR/KW "WE MUST GO FOR IT NOW" moves then they finally let Rick rebuild this past off season when it all fell apart yet again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
There are a million reasons why Steverson didn't mention it and Abreu did. To overthink how it happened will cause a brain aneurysm. Be glad it was suggested by anyone and move on.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Abreu isn't just some other player. Abreu is a mentor for him, speaks his own language, and has the credibility to literally be able to order the bats for Yoan and say "give these a try."

Imagine Steverson ordering bats for Moncada himself :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)

You can also add in the Zack Burdi pick as a "go for it move" as I believe they were hoping he could provide a shot in the arm late in the season during a potential post-season run. Had they had already decided to rebuild at that point, I'm sure they would have taken a starter or position player there.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 18, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
The one time I use Greg-logic is here. I think those were all JR/KW "WE MUST GO FOR IT NOW" moves then they finally let Rick rebuild this past off season when it all fell apart yet again.

IIRC. I think last winter Hahn indicated that he wanted to rebuild sooner but JR and KW wanted to go for it. I don't think KW was onboard with the idea until the 2016 unraveled on them and that's when KW changed his tune which eventually convinced JR to finally rebuild.