My totally biased review of Giolito's performance tonight

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I was watching the game and after an 0-1 fastball that was right down the middle at the knees to Sandoval in the 3rd inning was called a ball and Sandoval then proceeded to hit a 3 run HR I decided to rewind my DVR and check the ball/strike calls against the pitchcast calls.

I don't think pitchcast is the end all be all . I acknowledge it could be wrong.So I told myself in order to have a strike that was called a ball , the ball had to be mostly or 3/4 or more of the ball had to be in the zone ,according to pitchcast. On borderline pitches like just 1/4 or a sliver of the ball in the zone I gave the benefit of the doubt to the umpire,

The home plate umpire was Gabe Morales and right from the get go it was pretty obvious he was not going to give Gio the low strike .

Now some of you may blame the framing by the catcher but most of the bad calls were on fastballs and Gio being as tall as he is certainly has some downward tilt on low fastballs that will drag a catchers glove down. I happen to believe a fastball should be the easiest pitch for the ump to accurate call.

1 .1st inning a fastball to Span at the the knees was called a ball probably a 4 seamer

2. A fastball to Hundley was down and in perfect pitch but called a ball , maybe a 2 seamer .

3. 2nd inning to Mac Williamson again down and in great pitch called a ball.Williamson then got on 1st with the error by Davidson.

4 With Williamson running Gio throws a fastball right down the middle low but whole ball easily in the zone , called a ball but Williamson caught stealing for 3rd out.

5. This was the pitch to Sandoval where instead of 0-2 it was called a ball changing the whole complexion of the AB.

6. 6th inning 0-1 curve to Posey called a ball clearly in the zone. After that Moncada missed the pop up and then things really got out of hand.

1-2 pitch to Hundley a nasty curve/slider and according to pitchcast its in the zone but pitch caught way off the plate and low . I will not count this as a strike. It's doubtful many umps would've called it a strike Ump gets the benefit of the doubt over pitchcast.

7. Pitch to Pence again a beautiful low fastball fully in the zone on 0-1 pitch. Steve Stone mentions Gio not getting low strikes.

Pence walked on 3-2 pitch that was another well located fastball away and waist high . This was a pitch where pitchcast said caught the zone slightly but because I'm trying to be unbiased will call a ball and Crawford out at 2nd since he was going on the pitch. Will never know if he would've been out or safe since he may have slowed up when he saw ump didnt raise his arm for the strike.

So instead of being out of the inning there's still 1 out and bases loaded. Gio is removed , gets ejected, angry at lack of strike calls no doubt. Renteria ejected sticking up for Gio

So in my estimation thats 7 great pitches, the kind you want your pitcher to make all low or low and in strikes that were called balls and 2 others that maybe couldve been called strikes but weren't that the ump gets the benefit of the doubt over the pitchcast indicator.. There were also 1 or 2 others that caught a sliver of the plate called balls that I did not list.

I'm glad Lucas recognizes that those were good pitches, despite the umpires blindness. A frail minded pitcher could let that into his head, but he knew he had done as well as he could in those situations. It's disappointing he got ejected, but it was also smart of him to save his mind for after he was being taken out of the game. I'm proud of him. This, in my opinion, shows great mental strength and can only bode well for him.

I'm glad Sale recognizes that those were ugly jerseys, despite Reinsdorf's blindness. A frail minded pitcher could let that into his head, but he knew he had done as well as he could in those situations. It's disappointing he got suspended, but it was also smart of him to save his mind for before he started the game. I'm proud of him. This, in my opinion, shows great mental strength and can only bode well for him.

QUOTE (He Gawn @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 06:57 AM)
I'm glad Sale recognizes that those were ugly jerseys, despite Reinsdorf's blindness. A frail minded pitcher could let that into his head, but he knew he had done as well as he could in those situations. It's disappointing he got suspended, but it was also smart of him to save his mind for before he started the game. I'm proud of him. This, in my opinion, shows great mental strength and can only bode well for him.

Giolito standing up for himself when an umpire is having a bad game is hardly the same as Sale having a fashion hissy fit

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
I was watching the game and after an 0-1 fastball that was right down the middle at the knees to Sandoval in the 3rd inning was called a ball and Sandoval then proceeded to hit a 3 run HR I decided to rewind my DVR and check the ball/strike calls against the pitchcast calls.

I don't think pitchcast is the end all be all . I acknowledge it could be wrong.So I told myself in order to have a strike that was called a ball , the ball had to be mostly or 3/4 or more of the ball had to be in the zone ,according to pitchcast. On borderline pitches like just 1/4 or a sliver of the ball in the zone I gave the benefit of the doubt to the umpire,

The home plate umpire was Gabe Morales and right from the get go it was pretty obvious he was not going to give Gio the low strike .

Now some of you may blame the framing by the catcher but most of the bad calls were on fastballs and Gio being as tall as he is certainly has some downward tilt on low fastballs that will drag a catchers glove down. I happen to believe a fastball should be the easiest pitch for the ump to accurate call.

1 .1st inning a fastball to Span at the the knees was called a ball probably a 4 seamer

2. A fastball to Hundley was down and in perfect pitch but called a ball , maybe a 2 seamer .

3. 2nd inning to Mac Williamson again down and in great pitch called a ball.Williamson then got on 1st with the error by Davidson.

4 With Williamson running Gio throws a fastball right down the middle low but whole ball easily in the zone , called a ball but Williamson caught stealing for 3rd out.

5. This was the pitch to Sandoval where instead of 0-2 it was called a ball changing the whole complexion of the AB.

6. 6th inning 0-1 curve to Posey called a ball clearly in the zone. After that Moncada missed the pop up and then things really got out of hand.

1-2 pitch to Hundley a nasty curve/slider and according to pitchcast its in the zone but pitch caught way off the plate and low . I will not count this as a strike. It's doubtful many umps would've called it a strike Ump gets the benefit of the doubt over pitchcast.

7. Pitch to Pence again a beautiful low fastball fully in the zone on 0-1 pitch. Steve Stone mentions Gio not getting low strikes.

Pence walked on 3-2 pitch that was another well located fastball away and waist high . This was a pitch where pitchcast said caught the zone slightly but because I'm trying to be unbiased will call a ball and Crawford out at 2nd since he was going on the pitch. Will never know if he would've been out or safe since he may have slowed up when he saw ump didnt raise his arm for the strike.

So instead of being out of the inning there's still 1 out and bases loaded. Gio is removed , gets ejected, angry at lack of strike calls no doubt. Renteria ejected sticking up for Gio

So in my estimation thats 7 great pitches, the kind you want your pitcher to make all low or low and in strikes that were called balls and 2 others that maybe couldve been called strikes but weren't that the ump gets the benefit of the doubt over the pitchcast indicator.. There were also 1 or 2 others that caught a sliver of the plate called balls that I did not list.

I agree with this as I was watching the game. Hopefully, it was a learning experience for Giolito. Certain umps. aren't going to call certain pitches. when he saw the ump wasn't calling low strikes, he needs to find something else that works. It's not right but many umps have a "he doesn't give this." As he learns umps, hopefully he can adjust.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
I agree with this as I was watching the game. Hopefully, it was a learning experience for Giolito. Certain umps. aren't going to call certain pitches. when he saw the ump wasn't calling low strikes, he needs to find something else that works. It's not right but many umps have a "he doesn't give this." As he learns umps, hopefully he can adjust.

I not sure what else Gio could've done. The pitches I listed were all very good pitches. That's his job, to make good pitches .He didn't allow many hits and if he tries to adjust to the ump who knows what happens . Maybe he gets hit harder.

I'd also like to point out the umps are not familiar with Gio and in time and certainly with reviews of the games by the umps ( hopefully they do these things) that Gio will get the kind of calls that veteran pitchers do.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
I not sure what else Gio could've done. The pitches I listed were all very good pitches. That's his job, to make good pitches .He didn't allow many hits and if he tries to adjust to the ump who knows what happens . Maybe he gets hit harder.

I'd also like to point out the umps are not familiar with Gio and in time and certainly with reviews of the games by the umps ( hopefully they do these things) that Gio will get the kind of calls that veteran pitchers do.

His adjustment needed to be either A. not throw so low in the zone or B. find another place the ump will call. All you can really ask from an ump is to be consistent. If he consistently not calling a pitch low in the zone a strike. Don't throw it there.

I'm not saying it's right. i agree they were strikes but many umps have biases for or against certain pitches.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
His adjustment needed to be either A. not throw so low in the zone or B. find another place the ump will call. All you can really ask from an ump is to be consistent. If he consistently not calling a pitch low in the zone a strike. Don't throw it there.

I'm not saying it's right. i agree they were strikes but many umps have biases for or against certain pitches.

I know where you're coming from but when you start elevating pitches from knee high to thigh high is when you start getting torched. Keep the ball down and at least when the hitter swings he can miss it or beat it into the ground.

I know the title of the thread said I was biased and I only said that because I'm a Sox fan saying a Sox pitcher got hosed. I really think I was pretty fair. I saw a comment on whitesox.com discussing the strikes called and he came up with 12 pitches in the zone that weren't called strikes. He didn't mention how he came to that conclusion but it's a lot more than the 7 I listed. I had to draw the line somewhere and I explained how I drew that line . I wasn't going to list every pitch that pitch cast said nicked the strike zone.

Gio only gave up 3 hits in his 5.1 innings and the big Sandoval HR most likely was a result of one of those blown calls, Instead of being down 0-2 in the count, Sandoval hits an elevated pitch on a 2-1 count.The loss doesn't really bother me . The Sox played like crap . It was a bad pitch that Sandoval hit out especially with 1st base open at the time. But does Sandoval even get that pitch if Gio is ahead 0-2 ?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
I read an article that mentioned the umpire missed 11 pitches his last start. That can't happen. It is amazing there wasn't more damage,

I'm pretty sure Gabe Morales was one of the 2 umps Ian Kinsler singled out about needing a new profession.