Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
The more he continues to insist that money means literally nothing to him, the more it becomes actually realistic for any AL team to land him.

It makes me really sad and disappointed that there are no outward signs that the White Sox are really trying. Obviously that doesn't mean they aren't under the radar, but it would just be so nice to see a public effort a la the Mariners so that we could legitimately hope.

I don't think it benefits the sox at all to be public about it, tbh.

If Otani delivers a top 5 and they are on it, then by all means go public then.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 9m9 minutes ago plan is for ohtani to be posted friday. interested teams must commit to paying the nippon ham fighters 20M. ohtani hasn't been about the $ but the teams with the most international $ to spend are tex (3.53M), nyy (3.5M), minn (3M), pitts (2M) and sfg (1.8M).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 9m9 minutes ago plan is for ohtani to be posted friday. interested teams must commit to paying the nippon ham fighters 20M. ohtani hasn't been about the $ but the teams with the most international $ to spend are tex (3.53M), nyy (3.5M), minn (3M), pitts (2M) and sfg (1.8M).

I'm expecting either Yankees, Mariners or Rangers to sign him. Hope the Yankees don't.

Edited by soxfan2014

Sox operate under the radar. I could see a huge Stealth operation in the works for this kid. This is something I could see Kenny being in charge of, probably salivating all day long about the prospect of adding Ohtani. Wouldn't surprise me if they get Brooks to make a promo video of all the young talent we have. Show to healing hands of Herm. Pitcher whispering ability of Cooper.

Hopefully they send his reps the usa today article detailing the organizations amazing way in keeping players healthy. Would not hurt in the least to show them the statistics of injuries in the league.

USA Today

They also might be might be interested in the info that the Rangers, Dodgers and Yankees are all near the top of the list for most days players were on the disable list from 2001-2015. Wouldn't hurt to throw a stick in competitors bicycle wheels, while at the same time showing off:

Fangraphs

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
Sox operate under the radar. I could see a huge Stealth operation in the works for this kid. This is something I could see Kenny being in charge of, probably salivating all day long about the prospect of adding Ohtani. Wouldn't surprise me if they get Brooks to make a promo video of all the young talent we have. Show to healing hands of Herm. Pitcher whispering ability of Cooper.

Hopefully they send his reps the usa today article detailing the organizations amazing way in keeping players healthy. Would not hurt in the least to show them the statistics of injuries in the league.

USA Today

They also might be might be interested in the info that the Rangers, Dodgers and Yankees are all near the top of the list for most days players were on the disable list from 2001-2015. Wouldn't hurt to throw a stick in competitors bicycle wheels, while at the same time showing off:

Fangraphs

I'm a little biased when it comes to the medical reasons but they should really push this. The kid is young, has had injury issues and will really need to work to adjust to the MLB schedule. The medical staff should be important to him, whether he thinks so or not.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
I'm a little biased when it comes to the medical reasons but they should really push this. The kid is young, has had injury issues and will really need to work to adjust to the MLB schedule. The medical staff should be important to him, whether he thinks so or not.

It is: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/shoh...-mlb-teams.html

See number 2. Plus the Sox are really good about breaking in young arms. Carry a guy in long-relief who can start and go with a 6-man rotation occasionally and skip guys to provide more rest.

Edited by soxfan2014

So can the Sox sign him to a multi-year deal? I know they can only spend up to 300k on him when they sign him, but that's one year. How would a multi-year deal work?

Can you spread an international contract out past your money cap of 300k?

Assuming they can, it would have to look something like, 4 years 70 million

year 1 300,000

year 2 21,700,000

year 3 23,000,000

year 4 25,000,000

I have no idea how much money he's going to get, so don't put any stock into the 70 million

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Real @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 04:43 AM)
So can the Sox sign him to a multi-year deal? I know they can only spend up to 300k on him when they sign him, but that's one year. How would a multi-year deal work?

year 1 300,000

year 2 21,700,000

year 3 23,000,000

year 4 25,000,000

I have no idea how much money he's going to get, so don't put any stock into the 70 million

The $300k is a signing bonus. Then he goes through the 6 years of control like everyone else who comes up through the minors.

Edited by soxfan2014

year 1 300,000

year 2 21,700,000

year 3 23,000,000

year 4 25,000,000

Sure, if they want to get destroyed like the Braves did.

year 1 300,000

year 2 21,700,000

year 3 23,000,000

year 4 25,000,000

He will get the same type of contract that any draft pick or international amateur free agent. The money that everyone keeps throwing around is the amount of the signing bonus that he can get. After than each team would have the same contract with him that would be six years of control with the first three at basically league minimum and the next three going through arbitration.

Teams can sign him to an extension to buy out his arb years and maybe more and that contract could be for a good amount of money, but the question everyone is asking is how long does a team have to wait to offer that extension so that the league allows it and how is the league going to make sure that extension talks don't happen during the initial signing as a way to circumvent the rules.

For example, the league probably wouldn't allow an extension after Ohtani's first game because they would say that it was probably agreed to during the initial signing. Likewise, they probably won't allow a contract that offers $200 mil for 5 years after his first year because that is more than can be expected in arb and doesn't get any free agent years, meaning it was probably agreed to during the initial signing.

So long story short, whoever gets him gets him for 6 years on the same contract anyone from the minors gets but he will probably sign an extension at some point but no one knows when it will be allowed.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 07:44 AM)
He will get the same type of contract that any draft pick or international amateur free agent. The money that everyone keeps throwing around is the amount of the signing bonus that he can get. After than each team would have the same contract with him that would be six years of control with the first three at basically league minimum and the next three going through arbitration.

Teams can sign him to an extension to buy out his arb years and maybe more and that contract could be for a good amount of money, but the question everyone is asking is how long does a team have to wait to offer that extension so that the league allows it and how is the league going to make sure that extension talks don't happen during the initial signing as a way to circumvent the rules.

For example, the league probably wouldn't allow an extension after Ohtani's first game because they would say that it was probably agreed to during the initial signing. Likewise, they probably won't allow a contract that offers $200 mil for 5 years after his first year because that is more than can be expected in arb and doesn't get any free agent years, meaning it was probably agreed to during the initial signing.

So long story short, whoever gets him gets him for 6 years on the same contract anyone from the minors gets but he will probably sign an extension at some point but no one knows when it will be allowed.

I don't think it really matters about when but also more about for how much. Like Tim Anderson, he could sign after 2018 and sign a 5-year deal that pays him just a bit extra the first 2 years (pre-arb) and then buys out his 3 years of arbitration (so overall, a 5-year deal) as long as it's within reason. I would expect him to want to go to free agency as early possible since he is already forfeiting millions coming early anyway. At the same time, who knows if he would even want that early extension since he could theoretically earn more going year-to-year in arbitration.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 07:50 AM)
I don't think it really matters about when but also more about for how much. Like Tim Anderson, he could sign after 2018 and sign a 5-year deal that pays him just a bit extra the first 2 years (pre-arb) and then buys out his 3 years of arbitration (so overall, a 5-year deal) as long as it's within reason. I would expect him to want to go to free agency as early possible since he is already forfeiting millions coming early anyway. At the same time, who knows if he would even want that early extension since he could theoretically earn more going year-to-year in arbitration.

Yeah, I agree. Hearing how much he is supposed to make in marketing opportunities, I feel like it allows him to not worry about money during his first contract and so he won't sign anything that buys out any free agent years and will just try to hit the open market when he is 29. So any contract with him would just be to buy out his arb years and let teams have a guaranteed amount on the books.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 07:50 AM)

The Anderson deal is a good example of what CAN be done. You could probably stretch the end years to a bit heavier numbers and get away with it because of comps that are out there, but the first three years are pretty well peaked out.

Anderson will receive $850,000 in 2017, $1 million in 2018, $1.4 million in 2019, $4 million in 2020, $7.25 million in 2021 and $9.5 million in 2022.

The contract also contains team options for 2023 ($12.5 million) and 2024 ($14 million) with a $1 million buyout.

Supposedly this guy will make about $20 million a year in endorsements, so that will ease the burn a bit. I still think he's foolish for not waiting. I hope he can do both hit and pitch. It would really be fun if he was successful at both.

One freaky thing I still don't understand why we don't see more of is switch pitching.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Supposedly this guy will make about $20 million a year in endorsements, so that will ease the burn a bit. I still think he's foolish for not waiting. I hope he can do both hit and pitch. It would really be fun if he was successful at both.

One freaky thing I still don't understand why we don't see more of is switch pitching.

Like...Pat Venditte type of switch pitching?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
Like...Pat Venditte type of switch pitching?

Yes. Less taxing than 1 arm. Can switch hitter to hitter. With all the switch hitters in history, you would think switch pitching would become a thing.

It's not like you would have to throw 95 from both sides. Throw gas right handed, and be Wimpy's favorite funky left hander on the other side.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)

Yes! Seems like the value is HUGE. However...have you tried to throw with your off hand? When I try, I look a little like Chuck Knoblauch in his "lost" days. I'm lucky if my arm moves forward--and who knows what's going on with my legs...bunch of jerky circular motions that usually end with a trip to the chiropractor. Apparently it's difficult to achieve for most.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
Yes! Seems like the value is HUGE. However...have you tried to throw with your off hand? When I try, I look a little like Chuck Knoblauch in his "lost" days. I'm lucky if my arm moves forward--and who knows what's going on with my legs...bunch of jerky circular motions that usually end with a trip to the chiropractor. Apparently it's difficult to achieve for most.

I just wonder if it really is attempted much. Switch hitting has been something every kid who has every played in a playground has tried. If you really trained to switch pitch, obviously it wouldn't be easy to be major league quality on one side, not mentioning both, but you figure a few would have made it. It would really help a bullpen out, and speed up the game.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)

I tried for a whole summer in my teen years to do it. Could never get the fluid mechanics down as I did from my natural side. I was terrible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
I just wonder if it really is attempted much. Switch hitting has been something every kid who has every played in a playground has tried. If you really trained to switch pitch, obviously it wouldn't be easy to be major league quality on one side, not mentioning both, but you figure a few would have made it. It would really help a bullpen out, and speed up the game.

It would be fun to watch Darvish do it. When he was missing the whole season due to whatever surgery he had, he said he could pitch left-handed (who knows how well that would have gone though). Speaking of Venditte, I think he signed with the Dodgers the other day. It's basically like carrying a 26th man which is kinda how it would be like having Otani DH and pitch.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
It would be fun to watch Darvish do it. When he was missing the whole season due to whatever surgery he had, he said he could pitch left-handed (who knows how well that would have gone though). Speaking of Venditte, I think he signed with the Dodgers the other day. It's basically like carrying a 26th man which is kinda how it would be like having Otani DH and pitch.

Hopefully some kids get the idea and it starts to show in several years. My best friend had a son about 19 years ago and he told me he was going to teach him to throw left handed, assuming he was going to be a righty, and be a switch pitcher. Turns out the kid WAS left handed and never did try anything from the other side. And he's a decent pitcher. Plays in college now.