Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
Why #2?

Personally, I think it’s a huge long shot Machado would want to play for the Sox, the Sox to pay that type of money, and them wanting to have one player take a huge percentage of the overall payroll. But you never know. I guess we’ll find out next December.

ESPN.com has an article on him, trying to figure out where he wants to go. It has if he wants this he will choose that, if he wants that he will choose this scenerios . They mentioned just about every team except the White Sox.

Of course it is 50/50 at best whether ESPN knows the White Sox exist.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 08:30 AM)
ESPN.com has an article on him, trying to figure out where he wants to go. It has if he wants this he will choose that, if he wants that he will choose this scenerios . They mentioned just about every team except the White Sox.

Of course it is 50/50 at best whether ESPN knows the White Sox exist.

That's so funny because I feel like the Sox check off a lot of his boxes.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
Please no San Diego for otani. That is such a boring franchise, I forget they exist most of the time. Great city that can’t create a memorable sports team to save its life.

Counterpoint - If Ohtani truly wants to be "the guy", I can think of no better franchise than the Padres, with no established stars, a few good players, and a boatload of high upside minor league talent.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Counterpoint - If Ohtani truly wants to be "the guy", I can think of no better franchise than the Padres, with no established stars, a few good players, and a boatload of high upside minor league talent.

And the whole zero tradition, wanting to win with a franchise that hasn't won much, small market, closer to Japan than most, up and coming team. They check off a ton of boxes as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
And the whole zero tradition, wanting to win with a franchise that hasn't won much, small market, closer to Japan than most, up and coming team. They check off a ton of boxes as well.

They've had one of the most important playoff wins in history. Beating the Cubs in 1984. :D

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)

They have had one established star in history and it was a singles hitter. Being the guy in San Diego is like a tree falling in the woods. Come watch ohtani hit long fly outs in petco field!

Not saying he would never sign there I just pray he doesn’t for baseballs sake.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
Please no San Diego for otani. That is such a boring franchise, I forget they exist most of the time. Great city that can’t create a memorable sports team to save its life.

Sadly, a Padres fan could have felt the exact same way about the White Sox signing Luis Robert.

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
Nah, they really couldn't when talking historical context like Bmags was doing.

Non-White Sox fans find our franchise boring, forgettable, and irrelevant all the time. That is the unfortunate by-product of years and years of losing and the infrequency of appearing in the postseason. It also underscores the importance of the rebuild, because that is the only hope at the moment of reversing that mindset if a sustainable winning ballclub emerges from those efforts.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
Non-White Sox fans find our franchise boring, forgettable, and irrelevant all the time. That is the unfortunate by-product of years and years of losing and the infrequency of appearing in the postseason. It also underscores the importance of the rebuild, because that is the only hope at the moment of reversing that mindset if a sustainable winning ballclub emerges from those efforts.

I doubt anyone finds the White Sox as boring as your tired act.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)

If you say so, it must be true.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
I doubt anyone finds the White Sox as boring as your tired act.

The tired act is you deferring to insults when you can’t refute a fact-based opinion. Maybe just not say anything if you can’t contribute in a respectable manner? Hmmmm?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)

Do you not remember the fan beating up the first base coach? Hardly forgettable or boring, it still gets mentioned by opposing fans.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
The tired act is you deferring to insults when you can't refute a fact-based opinion. Maybe just not say anything if you can't contribute in a respectable manner? Hmmmm?

You and our President share the same definition of the word "facts".