Rodon has minor shoulder surgery

Jose Abreu

Not sure why there has been some sarcastic comments made in my direction. I'm pegging the over under at 400 innings and 6 fwar over the next 3 years for Rodon. I'm taking the under. Anybody wanna take the over for a sig or avatar bet. There is no "minor" shoulder surgery for a MLB pitcher sox can spin it however they want. He still is going to lose a ton of strength and ROM with no guarantee of a 100% recovery.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
Do I do it? Yeah I'm doing it.

Anyway, counting on Rodon to contribute to the next White Sox competitive team right now is a gamble.

Hopefully between Fulmer and Rodon we can at least get 1 starting pitcher out of those 2 drafts. I wonder if Rodon might be able to pull things together out of the bullpen, that slider might be really effective in short bursts.

Lolll thank you. DA brings up my one wrong prediction on abreu anytime I best him in an argument. Payback.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
Not sure why there has been some sarcastic comments made in my direction. I'm pegging the over under at 400 innings and 6 fwar over the next 3 years for Rodon. I'm taking the under. Anybody wanna take the over for a sig or avatar bet. There is no "minor" shoulder surgery for a MLB pitcher sox can spin it however they want. He still is going to lose a ton of strength and ROM with no guarantee of a 100% recovery.

And then after three years Boras will take him to free agency and say 'bye-bye'.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 11:31 PM)
Man this is bad bad news. He could be out til summertime. It's sad how pitchers nowadays just can't avoid surgery. This game is brutal on the pitchers' arms. PTATC why all the injuries compared to the 60s and 70s and 80s?

Baseball's are heavier now compared to back then.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
If you predict every pitcher will get hurt, you will be right a lot more than wrong. Look at the 2 selected instead o Rodon. Its one reason Theo takes hitters high.

Hopefully the team is being straight on the surgery and recovery. They hav n't been very forthcoming with injuries recently. And it isn't a bad time to be out 6-8 months

Nope it was specifically issues with his delivery which has not changed. From what I remember it was why he fell from 1st overall. He was clearly the most talented and major league ready starter at the top of that draft.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
Man this is bad bad news. He could be out til summertime. It's sad how pitchers nowadays just can't avoid surgery. This game is brutal on the pitchers' arms. PTATC why all the injuries compared to the 60s and 70s and 80s?

Many (including major league players I've talked to over the years) think pitch counts and pitchers being "baby-ed" are part of it.

Johnny Sain the great pitching coach had his pitchers throw every single day, even if it was just a few minutes of light throwing on the side in order to build up arm and shoulder strength.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 04:57 AM)
Nope it was specifically issues with his delivery which has not changed. From what I remember it was why he fell from 1st overall. He was clearly the most talented and major league ready starter at the top of that draft.

The issues everyone had with his delivery, though, were related to his ability to have good or even average control. I don't remember anything about potential injuries from his mechanics, and I think he's answered the criticisms related to control in the time he has been healthy. I hope this surgery resolves any issues and he can come back and be the dominant TOR starter that the White Sox need and that he's shown the potential to be.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)

Isn't part of the increasing number of injuries to pitchers, due to the lowering of the seams, on the ball? It now requires more of an effort to get rotation on the breaking pitches.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
How does the surgery affect the bursitis? What is the long term prognosis for that condition?

They don't do surgery for bursitis. This was basically exploratory because they couldn't figure it out. There are only two bursae in this area. The biceps and subacromial. They debrided either the bicep / labrum or the rotator cuff.

Good news, no significant structural damage.

Bad news, no guarantee they found the problem.

6 to 8 months is a long time for not funding anything.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
They don't do surgery for bursitis. This was basically exploratory because they couldn't figure it out. There are only two bursae in this area. The biceps and subacromial. They debrided either the bicep / labrum or the rotator cuff.

Good news, no significant structural damage.

Bad news, no guarantee they found the problem.

6 to 8 months is a long time for not funding anything.

I'm guessing this might have to do with his agent.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)

There should be no loss of ROM from any surgery on anyone, except for surgery to increase stability such as a joint replacement. If you blieve what they said and there was no cuff surgery the strength won't be effected either.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
Many (including major league players I've talked to over the years) think pitch counts and pitchers being "baby-ed" are part of it.

Johnny Sain the great pitching coach had his pitchers throw every single day, even if it was just a few minutes of light throwing on the side in order to build up arm and shoulder strength.

This is one theory. The problem with that is most pitchers back then didnt make it to the MLB. The got hurt in the minors. Only the pitchers that could tolerate that workload survived. That isnt an option today with more teams and more pitchers needed.

I think its more that pitchees today focus too much on throwing too hard too often. There is no pacing themselves to gog deep in games. They burn themsleves out in 5-6 innings and put too much stress on the arm.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 10:25 PM)
This is one theory. The problem with that is most pitchers back then didnt make it to the MLB. The got hurt in the minors. Only the pitchers that could tolerate that workload survived. That isnt an option today with more teams and more pitchers needed.

I think its more that pitchees today focus too much on throwing too hard too often. There is no pacing themselves to gog deep in games. They burn themsleves out in 5-6 innings and put too much stress on the arm.

Do you think baseball is destined to have pitchers go through lineups twice and that's it? They might have to expand rosters to carry up to 15 pitchers? Baseball in 10 years is going to be a deal where starters and all pitchers last about two innings max per night, right?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 06:26 PM)
Do you think baseball is destined to have pitchers go through lineups twice and that's it? They might have to expand rosters to carry up to 15 pitchers? Baseball in 10 years is going to be a deal where starters and all pitchers last about two innings max per night, right?

No. There aren't enough quality pitchers now. They've tried that in the past where each pitcher only went 3 innings. It doesn't work. They'll still have the starter expectation at 5-6 with middle releivers and closers. The middle guys being the least talented.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)

I have always thought if there were no speed guns on scoreboards or on TV screens, the game would be totally different.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
I have always thought if there were no speed guns on scoreboards or on TV screens, the game would be totally different.

This is kind of unrelated...but I wish they would take away pitch trax...I would rather just use my own eyes to judge the strike-zone. I know I can just not look at it, but it's just there and kind of hard not to. I would rather they just put it up every once in a while for replay on really questionable calls, rather than having it up on the screen constantly. Personal preference.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2017 -> 08:37 AM)

I'm not saying he doesn't throw hard, because he does relative to the average American, but Corey Kluber has the second highest fWAR in the majors this year among pitchers and he has "below average" fastball velocity at 92.6 MPH. It was 92.5 MPH last year and at its highest was 93.2 MPH.

I believe you are right, but that involves a lot of learning and tinkering and repetition to fine tune the mechanics and increase the movement of pitches while being able to command it. Corey Kluber was 27 years old when he had his first real full season and wasn't the dominant pitcher he is until a year later. In today's society in general, we want the explosion and the zip, because it's sexy and it does get guys out, but Corey Kluber has proven why velocity is not the end all be all. You need to have some - guys that throw 84 only make it once in a blue moon - but you don't need to throw 99.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2017 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm not saying he doesn't throw hard, because he does relative to the average American, but Corey Kluber has the second highest fWAR in the majors this year among pitchers and he has "below average" fastball velocity at 92.6 MPH. It was 92.5 MPH last year and at its highest was 93.2 MPH.

I believe you are right, but that involves a lot of learning and tinkering and repetition to fine tune the mechanics and increase the movement of pitches while being able to command it. Corey Kluber was 27 years old when he had his first real full season and wasn't the dominant pitcher he is until a year later. In today's society in general, we want the explosion and the zip, because it's sexy and it does get guys out, but Corey Kluber has proven why velocity is not the end all be all. You need to have some - guys that throw 84 only make it once in a blue moon - but you don't need to throw 99.

It's not just pure velocity though. It's your velocity relative to your top velocity. If you can throw 99 but sit at 95 vs. you can throw 99 and sit at 97. Kluber might still be throwing near his max. This is where the stress is increased on the arm.